Weekly Menu Planning - June 2022

That looks like a pretty tasty celebration meal! Let us know how you like it.

3 Likes

Hi everyone! First I want to report back that I’m positively shocked by how delicious the canned salmon rice bowl I linked to above turned out to be. Even my husband, who has only recently warmed to salmon in general, loved it. We will definitely make it again. So happy whenever I find a cheap, quick meal we enjoy.

Here’s what I have planned for this week, for 2 adults & 2 little kids in Toronto.

Mon - cavatappi with garlic scape pesto, asparagus, and ricotta (Cook this Now), and a salad of ribbons of Swiss chard with panko, parm, and an EVOO/balsamic dressing. The pasta is an annual favorite in June, this year I subbed in asparagus for the sugar snap peas that are in the original recipe. But the real star was the chard salad. I recently discovered I love raw Swiss chard (don’t care for it cooked). It’s the only bitter green I thought I didn’t like, until I tried it raw. So good!

Tues - Spanish tortilla (recipe from Serious Eats) & simple lettuce salad.

Wed - I’m having dinner at a Bengali restaurant with a friend visiting from out of town. The family will get takeout or make hot dogs.

Thurs - last day of junior kindergarten for my kids! We will either go out or have pizza and a sundae bar to celebrate.

Fri - Canada Day. No school/work. We’re going strawberry picking in the morning and will see extended family in the afternoon. I’m planning to make something I came up with recently that was sooooo good. I took poached chicken from the freezer (vac sealed with some poaching liquid) and added it to quickly sautéed onions and garlic. To that I added a jar of good green salsa, and simmered for a bit. Served over rice and topped with cilantro and avocado. It was made out of necessity but now I am repeating it intentionally.

Sat - southwestern pork tenderloin (recipe from the Kitchn), oven fries, simple salad.

Sun - planning to make Smitten Kitchen’s falafel and serving with all the fixings, but I might be tired at this point and we might get takeout.

Have a good week, all!

16 Likes

Isn’t it awesome when an experiment turns out repeat-worthy and easy too!

4 Likes

That’s fabulous!

3 Likes

It’s the best feeling! Do you have any favorite dishes you’ve stumbled into line that?

1 Like

I can’t think of any right now like yours. My memory mostly comes up with different combinations of existing food, e.g. cranberry chutney is a great toast spread with TJ brie cheese.

4 Likes

I rarely plan weekly meals so rarely post on this thread. But I thought I would share last week (week of June 20th). For four adults (two young and two old) and 2 dogs in the Southeastern U.S.

Monday dinner: I made a huge bowl of saag paneer using mixed greens (spinach, mustard, turnip) based on the recipe from 660 Curries. The recipe is very good. With rice (1 cup basmati + 1 package about 280 gm cauli rice) and raita.

Tuesday dinner: leftovers from Monday plus corn on the cob from the CSA. Corn roasted on the gas top, rubbed with butter, salt, red chilli powder. Cobs made great stock that is in the fridge.

Wednesday dinner: DH made tofu + asparagus + green beans stir fry based on this recipe: https://www.veganeasy.org/recipes/szechuan-green-beans/ that he tweaked a little (added just a little sichuan peppercorn). TJ fried rice (1 package regular + 1 package cauli fried rice mixed, boosted with eggs). Very popular at casa Rasam.

Thursday dinner: leftovers from Wednesday.

Friday: beach mini-vacation. Dinner at a pretty good Thai restaurant called Ida Thai (yum-yum eggplant, pad prik khao w/ tofu, veg fried rice, basil noodles).

Saturday:

• Breakfast was frozen Haldiram parathas (methi and also aloo varieties) + tzatziki + Patak eggplant pickle. These are really good
  • Lunch: cheese pizza from Vinnie’s - it was okay
  • Dinner: disappointing. A locally famous place called Nollie’s, super crowded and doesn’t do takeout on the weekend, after waiting in line for about 20 minutes we snagged bar seats instead of waiting longer for actual seats. Their tacos (flour tortillas) were not house made. Their fillings were mediocre at best to my taste. I don’t get the hype. Staff was friendly and courteous so no shade on them.

I had baked blueberry-oatmeal muffins and almond tigres plus took lots of crunchy snacks (murukku, chips, cookies) that were grazed on whenever. This army definitely marches on its stomach.

Sunday: we drove back so all meals were leftovers.

Lunches throughout are leftovers or freezer foraged.

Dogs got their fine prescription kibble and canned food.

14 Likes

Rasam - Great to see your actuals, and hope you’ll continue to post. These are some inspirational ideas for vegetarian meals.

6 Likes

Here’s what I’ve got planned. I’ve got everything except the good tomatoes and yakitori.

14 Likes

I had to look up that smashroom sandwich. Looks good - thanks for the idea!

1 Like

The spinach artichoke chicken burgers are :fire:

3 Likes

I don’t care for Nollies either!

1 Like

Actuals for the last week of June (and into July), cooking for 2 in MN. Busy around here, so it was a week of quicker meals. After dinner Wednesday we drove across town to view in-person their new fire station similar to the one being built on our corner. And realized that when the planning narrative we’d read last year mentioned a 45 ft. tall section of the building “positioned to have minimal sight-impact”, they actually meant “minimal impact when viewed from the street”. It’s going to be 12 feet from their property line closest to our neighbor’s house. Sigh. Hopefully it will at least serve as a bit of a wind-break for winter breezes out of the North.

Mon: reheat peachy turkey meatballs, Schwan’s chicken mini-eggrolls, rice, broccoli
Tues: Sheet pan BBQ chicken drumsticks Julia Pacheco. Microwave sweet potato, salad. Chocolate pie slivers.
Wed: Thin sliced beef as “Mongolian Beef”, over rice w sesame seeds & cashews. Fresh orange slices. https://themom100.com/recipe/mongolian-beef/
Thurs: Reheat beef w rice. Sliced apple.
Fri: Schwan’s breaded fish fingers, Schwan’s tater tots. Green beans. Pineapple.
Sat: reheat Drumstick (and some rotisserie chicken) and sweet potato, green beans, Strawberries
Sun: (today) noon - Mahi mahi fillets cooked in skillet w/lemon oil/lemon pepper and topped with small-diced mango/pineapple garnish. Brown rice. Salad. Sliced fresh peaches
Evening - Burgers. Brown rice/Rotel/black beans hot dish with tortilla chips, sliced fresh orange.

9 Likes

At least your insurance will go down!

:grinning: We already get that “only a 100 feet from the fire station” rating, since they demolished the old building to put up this new / replacement one. “Our” fire fighters are taking rotating 3-day shifts positioned/sleeping at another station during this construction to still give us great coverage. But my husband has cautioned me: No accidental kitchen fires until station construction is done!

6 Likes

This is the plan for the next week or so. The days may switch, but these are the meals. The first few are mostly lunches, as we’ll be dry-dock camping at a music festival where we’ll purchase dinners.

Thurs: grilled ribeye steaks, foil packet baked potatoes with sour cream, buttered asparagus, COTC for the kiddo

Fri: BLTs, watermelon, french fries potatoes

Sat: Coctel de Camarones with tortilla chips, refried bean quesadilla for the kiddo

Sun: barbacoa tacos on corn tortillas with the works, pepperoni pizza quesadilla (sensing a theme? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

Mon: back home. Chicken yakitori on our hopefully-arrived new Weber kettle, white rice, garlic sauteed garden chard/kale

Tue: rigatoni with honeynut (really butternut) squash, chard and hazelnut- The Weekday Vegetarians

Wed: cilantro-lime and tequila shrimp scampi with rice pilaf (another carryover)

Thurs: roasted cauliflower, paneer, and lentil salad with Chaat seasoning (carried over from last week)

9 Likes

ChristinaM - Good looking meals - you intended this for the July discussion?

Whoops, yes. I didn’t know a new one was created. Maybe whoever makes a new one could post the link in the old one?

1 Like

I did post the link here, 13 days ago. Typically new month is created 1 week before month-end.

Ah, totally missed that!

1 Like