Weekly Menu Planning - October 2023

We had an SK-inspired week not too long ago, also featuring the garlic-lime steak noodles (which I can’t call a salad because then DS won’t eat it).

If you’re looking for a butternut squash-inspired soup that is not just roasted squash, I love this - squash, sausage, red bell pepper, greens, pasta. I use half a bag of baby spinach instead of broccoli rabe and a whole squash, and a can of white beans instead of or in addition to the pasta.

5 Likes

The lengths we go to, to get a family fed!

5 Likes

Cooking for 3 in southwestern Ontario

Tonight: take-out steak frites, mushroom cioppino (hen of the woods, fennel, chickpeas and spicy tomato sauce- a vegetarian main) and a pecan butter tart

Sunday: Cdn Thanksgiving roast turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, maybe Ambrosia , maybe pumpkin pie

Thanksgiving Monday: turkey, leftovers, arugula chard spanakopita

Tue: turkey Tom Kha Gai (thai coconut milk soup)

Wed: probably tuna casserole or tuna cakes

Thu: lamb or pork, TBD

Fri: probably halibut

14 Likes

Have a few extra events scheduled this week, but hopefully I can keep life under control. LOL

For two adults in San Diego:

Breakfasts: Is this the week I give in and bake a chocolate cake for breakfast? It’s been a while. I think I might do it.

S: (tonight) takeout - red beef and bean burrito with guacamole

Su: Carnitas (leftover from Friday night) and veggie enchiladas with beans and guacamole

M: Spinach pizza, served with salad - vegetarian

T: Egg scrambled with spinach, cheese, bacon, served with hash browns and/or toast

W: Pasta with lemon cream sauce, peas with herbed fish (salmon for him, cod for me) - seafood

Th: Zuppa Toscana with spinach, served with garlic bread - soup/salad

F: Leftover orange chicken and veggies, with rice

Have a good week!

13 Likes

Go for the chocolate cake.

2 Likes

Actuals for the first week of October, cooking for 2 in MN. Where after a hot start to the week, chilly temps and the baking urge took over menus. I successfully experimented with using the slow cooker to make brown rice, some bagged/frozen plain the rest made into a baked favorite site dish casserole - rotel/black beans/brown rice for lunches and freezer. An acorn squash I got a week ago is in the fridge, patiently awaiting its turn tonight. Fruit sides for every meal, alternating between Ginger Gold apple slices and red grapes.

Mon: Paella orzo salad with shrimp and pepperoni (served warm, then for lunches served cold with added shrimp) Adapted From “Salad For Dinner” by Jeanne Kelley, p. 108. Ingredients list at EYB
Tues: freezer meal- Pork eggrolls, grain bowl (commercial, frozen) with diced sweet potatoes & craisins
Wed: Salmon, rest of the grain bowl
Thurs: One pan Pork chops with apples & onions, microwave baked potato A great 30-minute meal. Split an ice cream treat bar for dessert.
Fri: reheat Pork chops/baked potato
Sat: Lunch & freezer - Oven turkey Chimichangas, sliced avocado. Dinner and freezer - Runzas/ meat & sauerkraut filled bread. Spinach salad. BAKED cinnamon rolls using extra Runza dough
Sunday (today): Walleye, acorn squash

14 Likes

Hi everyone, I hope you’re all enjoying a beautiful fall day. Hoping the Canadians here have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Lulu’s boyfriend is in town, and they seem to be having lots of fun together. I had a good trip to my new dentist on Wednesday, and loved my dinner out in DC (Le Diplomate). Aside from that, here is what we ate:

Mon: roast chicken thighs with lemon, capers, and thyme (Diana Henry), roast potatoes, fennel salad

Tues: smoky shrimp and beans (Nigella, although her recipe originally calls for squid) over toast, with sliced tomatoes

Wed: I was away, they got carry out

Thurs: carry out pizza was waiting for me after my drive home from DC

Fri: Lulu out with boyfriend, LLD made salmon, salad, and tater tots, which seems to be taking over from naan for his cooking nights

Sat: took Lulu and her boyfriend out for Korean food. Had lots of fun.

Sun: not sure, but guessing we’ll be taking them out again.

I also made my first stab at a loaf of nutty bread, trying for something similar to what I was served for breakfast in Switzerland. Used 1/3 ww flour and added sunflower, flax, and pumpkin seeds. The ww flour makes it a bit more bitter than I wanted, but it’s still pretty good! Wishing everyone an easy week with delicious meals.

15 Likes

WMP folks, there are a few new cook-along threads in case you want to join in:

4 Likes

Hi all. Feeding two adults and a teen in Boston. I’m making an apple pie right now; please cross your fingers for this experiment, using a new-to-me recipe and mystery apples we picked today.

Tonight: leftover chili - maybe nachos-style if I run to the grocery store while the pie is baking.

Mon: cooking project day: pulled pork, bbq beans, something bread-like. Maybe coleslaw too.

Tues: pasta with broccoli, chicken, and ricotta

Weds: bean and chorizo tostadas (NYT, but I’m not frying the tortillas myself)

Thurs: encore presentation of pulled pork etc.

Fri: DH and I are going to see Brett Goldstein - I haven’t decided whether it would be excessively dorky to wear my Roy Kent socks. DS is looking forward to an evening at home alone with the dog. Not sure about dinner for any of us (other than the dog).

13 Likes

Fingers and toes are crossed!

1 Like

I would be making cornbread as an accompaniment but maybe that’s just me…

2 Likes

We had cornbread last week with chili, so… I’m trying to mix it up a bit!

1 Like

That’s so cool that you’re seeing Brett Goldstein! Does he do a one man show, or stand up? Had no idea he was touring. LLD would love to see him (so would I). Definitely go with the socks.

2 Likes

It’s stand-up - I follow him on Instagram and saw the tour announcement over the summer. I’ll email you more info. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It was a hit/miss. See here.

2 Likes

Revised Sunday - the planned walleye had not thawed so that moved to Monday. Instead we shared the rest of the gluten-free breakfast pizza I made Sunday morning, which my cereal-only-for-breakfast spouse had rejected for his breakfast but (it turned out) longed for as some other meal. Bellatoria Cauliflower crust with roasted veggies and red pepper alfredo sauce, that I scattered with 2 cooked scrambled eggs and 4 slices cooked and crumbled bacon, then baked. Very good and worth repeating.

6 Likes

Nominations for the November COTM are starting now. Please join us!

Greetings, People.

Making an easy week of it in the cooking department, going long on side dishes to give the appearance of variety, and using up freezer leftovers for ease.

Feeding two adults in the rainy PNW.

FRI: DH making wagyu burgers on the grill. My contribution will be coleslaw.

SAT: Oil roasted salmon. Two kinds of gratin (DOTQ): one with spinach and onion, and the other a simple potato gratin.

SUN: Pasta with roasted tomatoes. Italian sausages, Spinach gratin.

MON: Tuna melt on homemade French bread. Coleslaw.

TUE: Pan roasted chicken thighs. Leftover gratin (both kinds).

WED: A repeat of the tuna melts and coleslaw.

THUR: Leftover pan pizza from the freezer. Some kind of salad (TBD).

14 Likes

Hi, all! Cooking for 2 in Chattanooga, where fall seems to be settling in. Lots of comforting food in unsettling times…

Breakfast: whole-wheat waffles
Saturday, October 14: Butternut squash soup, warm tomato and pepper salad, focaccia
Sunday: Bigos loosely based on this recipe using leftover BBQ pork from the freezer as the meat and perhaps served with pirogi that are also taking up space in the freezer. Chocolate-orange pots de crème for dessert.
Monday: Pasta alla norma
Tuesday: Probably scrounge
Wednesday: Placeholder for whatever Family recipe is chosen
Thursday: More scrounging
Friday: Beetroot and paneer curry, probably with frozen parathas.
To quote a podcast I listen to, “Have the best week available to you.” Happy cooking!

13 Likes

Hello friends we are winding down a second four day work week in a row in Canada so next week it will be back to the regular five day a week schedule. I always find it hard to re-adjust to working five whole days in a row. Only 7 1/2 years until retirement! Last week’s Thanksgiving dinner that I ordered from the pricey butcher was probably one of the best I’ve ever had. I will make a point of getting future Easter and Thanksgiving dinners with them. Tomorrow I plan on continuing my search for boots and blankets then on Sunday I plan on seeing Oppenheimer. I’ve had it pencilled in for ages but the two movie theaters closest to my apartment building keep showing it in the evening and it’s three hours long. I don’t feel comfortable leaving the movie theater at 11:00 or 11:30 at night since one of the theaters is in a sketchy neighbourhood and the other involves walking through a deserted neighourhood as part of my commute home. I could take the bus but I still don’t feel comfortable standing around waiting for buses at 11:30 at night. So this Sunday one of the movie theaters is having a matinée so I won’t have to worry about the commute home. Onto my menus for this week for a singleton in Ottawa, Canada:

Today: veal parmigiana and spaghetti from the nearby deli for only $13 (including tax and tip). I honestly have no idea how they manage to keep their prices so low and everything tastes just like home made. Greek salad for dinner.

Saturday: black bean beef and vegetable stirfry.

Sunday: Basa fillet with “egg sauce” following a recipe given to me by my mom. Fall is here so I am now resurrecting some of my mom’s recipes that I like :slight_smile: Basically it’s a basa fillet served with a white sauce and garnished with a quartered hard boiled egg. Rice on the side. Veggies tbd.

Monday: Stirfried lo mein noodles with pork and vegetables.

Tuesday: Peanut soup.

Wednesday: braised chicken with new potatoes and pearl onions.

Thursday: Cauliflower curry.

Have a nice week everyone.

13 Likes