What's For Dinner #79 - the Carly Simon "An-ti-ci-pay-yay-shun" Edition - March 2022

Steamed clams! Tuna collar! Lamb’s quarters with mustard greens and black radish! Can you tell I’m happy about my greenmarket haul today?

17 Likes

Quadruple sounds good!

1 Like

I make a Korean spam that my family loves. Served over rice, I think the rice cuts down on the salt content. I also like in Musubi. Which is also Asian-ish. And it’s not bad in ramen. Also Asian. So that might be the key. But not everyone likes Asian food. So, maybe these preparations are ones which wouldn’t taste good, either.

9 Likes

Sandwiches on buttered soft white sliced bread. Or straight. Yup, maybe you had to grow up eating it — or other canned ham-type products :joy:

2 Likes

A family-favorite brown rice/black beans / Rotel side dish (recipe below) served beside skillet cooked cod last night, and beside a marinated pork tenderloin today. The tenderloin was BOGO, so (per my friend who always loses track of which has been eaten) this was the FREE one.

The side dish is not at all photogenic, but it is delicious.

10 Likes

Vegetable Black Bean Corn Brown Rice Casserole with Rotel and Salsa and Cheese

Our Tribe of Many video Sept 26, 2020 Meal Prep on the Fly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Eb-pucuu-I
(time mark 8:30)
For us 12 servings as a side (they get 6 servings as a vegetarian maindish and double this to serve family of 12 & serve with tortilla chips)

2 C. cooked brown rice
11 oz. corn (canned, drained or frozen)
1 10 oz can Rotel tomatoes with chiles
1 1/2 - 2 Cups cooked black beans (about 1 can drained & rinsed)
1/4 C. diced red onion (optional)
1 C. sour cream
1 C. salsa / picante sauce
1 C. shredded cheese, plus more for topping
Chopped green onions for topping
Black pepper
(Note – and NO, this does not need cumin added , as I always suggest to myself – plenty flavorful without…)

Stir together. Spread in a 9 x 13 pan – I use one 8x8, to fit in my countertop oven. Top with more shredded cheese and chopped green onions. (optional)
Cover and refrigerate (for up to 3 days), until ready to use.
Bake (covered with foil) 350 degrees, 50 minutes (40 minutes if not refrigerated).

9 Likes

I loved those black garbanzos. planning to buy more soon if they’re available.

Looks so good!
What’s in the Elderflower Gimlet? I bought a bottle of St. Germain a while ago and need ways to use it up.

1 Like

Last night we had the whimsically titled Crispy Salmon with Bedazzle Rice from Molly Baz’s website (behind a paywall). The rice has currants, scallions, garlic, dill, walnuts, and caramelized lemons. We made a half recipe for 2 diners and liked it a lot.

22 Likes

Start with 4 ounces of gin and add St. Germain and lime juice (probably an ounce of each, depends on how sweet/sour you want it). I also like to use Rose’s Lime Juice but fresh squeezed is great too.

3 Likes

Thanks for the seed link!

1 Like

Made some ribs this afternoon. I haven’t fired up the grill since last summer…probably the longest inactive stretch ever.

21 Likes

A few dinners.
Braised Endive with Ham and tomyere cheese in a bechamel sauce. Used 2 types of ham, one with herbs another smoked. The taste were quite different, both were good!

Pounti with prunes - a kind of pork terraine with sausage meat, egg, flour, swiss chard and dried prunes from Agen. It’s not a flan. Worker’s food, and it’s better eaten cold than hot.

Pounti before cooking

Pork filets with a anchovy capers and tarragon cream sauce, asparagus.

Vietnamese caramel sauce chicken rice

Couscous with squash, leek, asperagus, carrot and merguez

Leek with gribiche sauce

26 Likes

Mr. P, I want that!

13 Likes

Great to see you around, post more!

1 Like

:laughing: Don’t let my husband see this!
Too late, he is arriving! Such a feast!

2 Likes

Your husband’s pizzas seem, to me, much more attractive than a roasted pig.

Oh he is such a carnivore, I believe he is more excited to see meat, than bread, just like my cat! That’s why, they are always plotting vs me.

1 Like

I’m a carnivore, too. But a good pizza, even a pizza margherita, is something special.

3 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was a marinated artichoke salad and fettuccine al pesto.

21 Likes