What's for Dinner #78 - The Hearts, Candy, Flowers & Slushy Snow Edition - February 2022

I had two new acquisitions to play with tonight:

I had read about them and looked at them but balked at the shipping charge. However when I saw them at the farm shop I couldn’t resist. Mangalitsa pork chop from the farm with harissa and steamed broccoli with preserved lemon paste-fresh lemon juice-butter.

The pork chop was amazing and there is less left over than there ought to be, although plenty for a fabulous sandwich for lunch tomorrow. The harissa is not really hot at all but loads of yummy spicy flavors and I can always add hot. The preserved lemon paste tasted like a mouthful of Lemon Pledge to me, as preserved lemons usually do. What is wrong with me??? Luckily, I used only a tiny bit in the broccoli topping: maybe half a teaspoon. So that was tasty enough but my usual topping of a squeeze of lemon juice tastes better to me. Need to find someone to give the rest of that jar to…

12 Likes

oooohhh… i read that wrong. i think i thought it was a Piquepoul!
Well, if i see it around locally, i’ll give it a try.

1 Like

Oooh on the preserved lemon paste. I can see that being used many ways!

Worked from home today, due to the storm.
Got a lot done.
Stilll don’t like WFH.
Shoveled about 10-11" of snow from the sides of my driveway.
Don’t like that all that much either.
But thank goodness for the condo fee that pays for the plowing, among other things.

The only good things about WFH is dressing comfily (is that a word?) and being able to plan dinner on the fly.

Which was a filet mignon, pan-seared and finished in the oven to medium-rare. Topped with sauteed minced shallots and chopped mushrooms, finished in a red wine reduction with the veg. A light sploosh of heavy cream at the end.

Sides were roasted baby yellow potatoes tossed in duck fat, s/p, and Spicewalla’s Honey and Herb seasoning rub, as well as roasted Brussels sprouts.

Oh. There was wine.

16 Likes

I wish I could give it to you. Will you be in Mid-Coast Maine anytime soon? :laughing:

1 Like

Looks both gorgeous and delicious!

1 Like

Helping the soon to be (nuptials pending Nov 4,22!!!) son in law break in the new grill Santa brought him. Picked up a nice 40oz ± prime porterhouse, couple lamb chops and a few slices of bacon for the christening! A particularly cold windy night with the wind whipping around you made it for a chilly lesson but oh so worth it.

Pesto topped grilled salmon for the ladies. Sautéed broccoli and mac n cheese to round the meal out. I’m a happy albeit cold camper!

13 Likes

My take on a true Los Angeles original, the chili size. The burger was a combo of beef and chorizo, a roasted poblano pepper, pinquito beans, onions and pepper jack cheese. A few vegies with ranch dip.That was one hot poblano pepper. A beer with would have been great but alas, I have none. Cocktail was an orange g&t with a splash of Bada Bing cherry juice. Last sunny day for a while, rain is on the way.

14 Likes

Mrs. P made duck leg confit pizza with Humboldt fog cheese, caramelized onion jam, cranberry cherry cabernet conserve, hoisin sauce, yellow peppers, and arugula among other ingredients. I also had some crispy duck cracklings. It all went great with an inexpensive petite Sirah.

16 Likes

I was inspired by @honkman 's dinner earlier this month and tried making Jansson’s Temptation, a casserole with potatoes, anchovies, onion, and cream. Pretty good, the anchovies (didn’t have sprats) added a lot of salty umami flavor to the potatoes.

15 Likes

Been doing a lot of breakfast for dinner lately. Tonight was another “One Wok Meal”: an omelette with asparagus, cheddar, and Al Fresco chicken breakfast sausage. Side of hash browns with more cheddar and toast.

Some additional cooking: while at work, I made my coworker a bacon cheeseburger. I wasn’t going to photograph it but it looked and smelled too damn good!

15 Likes

That looks fantastic! Kudos!

1 Like

Thanks! Your prime porterhouse looked pretty awesome as well.

i find that lemon Pledge flavor whenever i have lemon sparkling water or lemon flavored vodka, but i haven’t found it in homemade preserved lemons, or i’d be off them too!

that chop though…

1 Like

He’s got a great teacher!

1 Like

I could act as a carrier pigeon.

4 Likes

Lamb shank tagine with apricots, figs and preserved lemons. We love braised lamb shanks but the size of the ones in the grocery store are problematic. We each want our own but they are too big to be eaten in one meal so there are always leftovers. I was in Fattal’s (Paterson, NJ) and saw them cut into smaller pieces. They were so much easier to cook and eat. Served over farro since I was out of couscous.

For those NJ people who are familiar with Fattal’s Bakery and Market, they’ve completed a store renovation, and more importantly, a parking lot renovation. For those not familiar with Fattal’s, it’s a great Syrian/Middle Eastern bakery and supermarket on Main Street in Paterson. It is one of my favorite stores.

17 Likes

Went very simple for dinner tonight…chicken thighs, seasoned with olive oil, dried thyme, lots of freshly ground pepper and lime zest. Into a 400° oven for about 25 minutes, sprinkled with fresh lime juice and finished with another 20 minutes in the oven, basting once.

Rice pilaf, green beans, and wine as the sides.

16 Likes

Burrrr, it’s a soup night. Chicken soup (made from the dregs and breast meat of the Peruvian chicken) with orzo and peas. Seeded sourdough roll. Pstob.

14 Likes
3 Likes