What's for Dinner #78 - The Hearts, Candy, Flowers & Slushy Snow Edition - February 2022

That soup looks/sound great - thanks for the recipe!

1 Like

Day off.
Extra long weekend (even though I did some work-work near the end of the day).
Slept in.
Eyeballs checked.
As expected, new eyeball Rx (and frames) in 2 weeks. (I’m going a bit more colorful in my old age!)
Went to Home Boy to pick out a new bathroom throne. Two of them, actually.
My BIL will install. (Hopefully next week.)
Also went to Home Goods to see what they had that I absolutely needed.
Finally found some shallow bowls I liked.

Needed to freezer dive to clear some stuff out.
So a small hunk of chuck roast became stroganoff.
Served on mini lasagna noodles with peas on the outside.

Did I mention it was National Wine Day? Not that I need that encouragement, but who am I to ignore such a glorious day that falls on the start to a long weekend? :wink:

18 Likes

Meatballs, angel hair pasta in a marinara sauce, grated asiago cheese. Mixed greens, tomato, cucumber, green onion salad with O&V dressing. Garlic bread. @LindaWhit I didn’t know it was National Drink Wine Day or I would have had more than the splash I put in the sauce.

13 Likes

Zittoni - like giant ziti - something I’d never seen before. I’d left it at my sister’s and she cooked it up and didn’t like it, so I took it home. You’re supposed to cut it up before you cook, or it does look like unsightly surgical tubing.

BF cut it up, made a meat sauce with spinach and various cheeses, put it in a casserole and baked it. Delicious! Much like lasagna. Parm regg zucchini on the side, and I made cheater garlic toast (just butter and granulated garlic).

13 Likes

Sous-vide ribs, mostly following this recipe but with baby back ribs and without liquid smoke. Came out very good, if I do say so myself. With some cornbread muffins and frozen green beans.

15 Likes

Jansson’s Temptation - Swedish casserole with potatoes, a lot of anchovies, onions and cream.

15 Likes

I hadn’t heard of Jansson’s Temptation until your post. It sounds delicious. I love anchovies.

It’s true Swedish comfort food but also quite popular back home in Northern Germany when I was a kid. My parents liked to make it from time to time and it is always a great dish to feel like you are back home. And it is easy to make as it mainly just bake in the oven

1 Like

I am looking forward to trying it. Do the anchovies tend to melt into the potatoes or do they stay distinct? I don’t mind, and would actually prefer them to remain, but other might not be so keen on actually knowing what makes the potatoes taste so good.

They start to melt into the onions and potatoes but they tend to be still recognizable. For those who don’t like to “see” the umami factor just stir their dish slightly before serving

1 Like

Thanks for the tip

Was feeling a bit wonky when I woke up at 6 or so. Slept for another couple of hours until the boyz went all Audrey on me, hollering FEED ME! (In Catese, of course).

I felt a bit better after waking up, but kept it relatively quiet all day. Dinner had already been decided: roasted pork tenderloin seasoned with olive oil, s/p, and dried cracked rosemary, served with an orange juice, orange marmalade, and mustard glaze and sauce.

Roasted potatoes in the convection oven, and roasted Brussels sprouts.

Wine.

And the weirdest 4 minute sunset snow squall that turned our landscape pink-orange. Before, during and after pics. It went from gray to pink-orange to clearing blue skies with a sunset in 4 minutes as I ran around the house taking pictures from windows and doorways. Bizarro.

20 Likes

Hope you’re feeling better. That’s crazy weather…

3 Likes

BBQ pork on a telera roll, sweet potato fries and coleslaw with snap peas and radishes.

15 Likes

Another one from deep into the Caggiano family archives: mom’s horseradish encrusted roast beef (homemade breadcrumbs, horseradish, red onion, and garlic coating). It could have used a few more minutes in the oven but it came out bursting with flavor. Served with mashed potatoes and sautéed green beans.

To drink: despite a brief intense snow squall today that literally blocked out the sun, and sub-freezing temperatures to follow, I was feeling summery and made an Elderflower Gimlet.

21 Likes

We enjoyed another great dinner at James on Main in Hackettstown, NJ including a wood fired hog chop with apple cider and maple glaze; pan roasted black bass; pork belly with smoke and soy- mirin wine and 5 spice syrup, scarlet yam velvet, and prune compote; duck leg confit; mushroom ravioli; amuse bouche of beets with blue cheese and another one of taleggio cheese and onion jam. It all went great with an excellent cabernet and red blend.

10 Likes

Veal Meatball Pizza with veal meatball (made from ground veal, potato and thyme), caramelized onions, olives, fresh tomato sauce, mozzarella and parmesan. Using the dough from Jim Lahey and a home oven is tasty but it is tempting to think about an Ooni Kona.

14 Likes

I found this recipe for dill pickle soup on Tik Tok. It is described as perfect for pickle girls and gorgeous, gorgeous soup girls, and since The Sprout is both, decided to try it for dinner. Potatoes, onions, celery, carrots, garlic, a few bay leaves, fresh dill, dill pickles and their juice, heavy cream, grated cheese (I used Jarlsburg), and broth. I perused other recipes and it turns out dill pickle soup is a common soup in Easter European cuisine. It was easy to make and really good.

17 Likes

@LindaWhit, we experienced the same weather on Saturday evening. Wow!

Took the dog for an extended walk on conservation land before dinner. Sunny and cold. As we were on the second half of the walk, the skies darkened. Whiteout conditions blew into the woods where we were walking. When we were nearly back to the car, the popup storm was gone and the sky put on this show.

Time for a tapas-inspired dinner after we got home. Did the prep before we left and repurposed some stuff from earlier in the week. While I roasted fingerling potatoes in duckfat, I amped up leftover baked gigante beans with smoked paprika and baby greens for a warm salad. Set out leftover roasted mushrooms at room temp, smoked shrimp with cocktail sauce, mahi mahi spread, and baguette slices. Also a cheater garlic and lemon “aioli” that I mixed earlier, for the roasted potatoes.

No dinner pics though. The humans and the dog were all a little tired from our unexpectedly exciting walk.

Hope you’re feeling better, too. No fun to be feeling blah on your long weekend.

13 Likes

This all sounds amazing! And your “After” sunset picture is beautiful! Although I’m not sure I would have wanted to be out in the whiteout conditions!

And yes, I’m doing better today. A single day of wonkiness and headache.

6 Likes