What's for Dinner #78 - The Hearts, Candy, Flowers & Slushy Snow Edition - February 2022

Thank you!

Those look mouthwatering.

1 Like

We were camping in warmer climes with friends Friday to Tuesday and made our way home slowly yesterday and today. I wasn’t good about photographing meals, but here’s what we cooked:

Friday - Carolina sausage hash, cole slaw, homemade baked beans, and Nathan’s hot dogs (intended for the kids - they had brioche buns). The sausages completely fell apart upon cooking, so we rescued them by incorporating with some hash brown potatoes. Worked out. My DH was livid about the failed fancy sausages, tho. I poured a restrained California cab I’ve been enjoying recently.

Saturday - bagels and lox for brekkie, lunch on the road, and then for dinner (friends cooked), grilled burgers, bagged crunchy-sweet “Asian” salad, and sweet potato fries. French red. I made Rachel Ray’s (disappointing) skillet fudge cake for dessert, with whipped cream.

Sunday - For breakfast I made fried egg sandwiches on English muffins with cheddar, bacon, and avocado. Served with berries. For dinner I made beef shank street tacos with the works, homemade red rice, and campfire pintos with bacon and bourbon. Friends did campfire banana boats for the kiddos. A refreshing white piquette, Austrian Grüner Veltliner (delicious and aromatic) Hess California cab, and Basil Hayden to drink.

Monday - our friends made scrambled eggs, bacon, bagels, avocado, etc for breakfast. We had a hard time finding an outdoor lunch spot and eventually settled into a couple rounds of $5 margaritas and tacos at 3:00 p.m. Late dinner cooked by friends of grilled lobster tail and low country boil (snow crab legs, potatoes, Bratwurst, corn, and mussels). Italian loaf with butter on the side. I kept judgements about seafood cooking and seasoning to myself. :laughing: Leftover wines and beer. We all turned in early.

Tuesday - friends departed and we were cooking on our own. We traveled halfway home before stopping to set up overnight camp and fry chicken, served with Alfredo mac, leftover cole slaw, and tomato salad. Miller High Life and more Grüner to drink.

Wednesday - Today I made breakfast tacos with colby jack, scrambled eggs, Roots black bean spread, crema, jalapeños, salsa, and cilantro. Lunch was on the road and we had leftover fried chicken and red rice and fresh cole slaw for dinner. I’m nursing the last of the piquette and looking forward to another camping trip soon! :crossed_fingers:t2:

22 Likes

Seafood curry (shrimp and bay scallops) and bhel puri that I tried to be fancy with.

IMG_20220223_224350_063

To drink was a Scotch Buck.

15 Likes

It’s a well-known secret about me that I’ve never gone camping before. But I would absolutely crash your camping party.

And by the way, I used “clime” earlier this morning in my Wordle, before seeing your post. We are sympatico!

4 Likes

I think I would have been as well, especially being used while camping when the expectation is that you’d be eating them whole out of hand/bun.

P.S. You guys seriously kick A$$ in the food department when you camp! :yum:

5 Likes

Special occasion tonight;

11 Likes

Tri tip pan seared then finished on roast in the oven. I used a local Kinder’s rub. Not shown here but planned to be served with zhug seasoning and cabbage Caeser salad.

14 Likes

Grilled Peruvian chicken, aji verde, patatas and salad with tomato, jicama, green onion, lime & oo dressing. A glass of sangria.

16 Likes

BF served up leftover Indian food i made a couple weeks ago from the freezer and store bought paratha (which was just ok). He made new raita, I made new mint/cilantro chutney. there are still leftovers left over.

17 Likes

that looks fancy indeed!

1 Like

Nice! our gang are foodie campers from way back but it’s been years. i kinda miss it. I must look for that wine…

2 Likes

Last of a batch of beef rendang from freezer, boiled egg, broccolini, tomato, coconut rice.

17 Likes

I decided to Google recipes since Bon Appetit’s newish paywall is annoying me. I probably own 40 years of print Bon Appetits, canceled my print subscription around 3 years ago, and don’t/won’t pay for recipes online.

Couldn’t figure out why there were so few Mbahal recipes online. It’s because the dish is more commonly transliterated to M’Bahal or Bahal, and is also known as Nankatang / Nykatan, which has several other English language spellings.

7 Likes

Which?

This happens WAY too often here.

2 Likes

Same here. I have been using Chrome Incognito to get around it.

3 Likes

Last night was a super quick pasta with meat sauce. Nothing special, plus salad.

Tonight I made Cantonese honey-garlic pork chops (I shallow-fried the thinly-sliced brined meat and added sesame to the dredge). I added soy sauce and extra vinegar to the sauce and subbed corn syrup for maltose. Sides were roasted salad turnips and Brussels with kimchi dressing and miso-butter linguini with turnip greens.

The kiddo wasn’t into it and had camping leftovers. :roll_eyes:

13 Likes

the white?

Gotcha. It’s good! Refreshing and not too funky. I ordered through my local wine shop after reading about piquettes.

There’s a local piquette from Botanist & Barrel that I didn’t care for at all. Sour.