What's for Dinner #78 - The Hearts, Candy, Flowers & Slushy Snow Edition - February 2022

How about calling it the Bloody Byproduct??? :smiley:

6 Likes

Love this - very clever! You have a promising future in advertising…

3 Likes

Thanks! I hesitated posting it because I was worried that people would take it the wrong way. Actually, as a school librarian, I developed and taught a middle school class in media literacy, and it was mostly about advertising to tweens and teens.

6 Likes

This was my jumping off place for the drink.

4 Likes

Yours with the pickle brine sounds better to me - more layers of flavors.

1 Like

The chicken/pepper/mushroom/tomato pasta sauce with Madeira wine I made on Sunday, over bucatini for dinner tonight. BF made salad, I made garlic toast (with actual grated garlic this time - much better.) Hit the spot.

16 Likes

I got a new toy - a baguette baker, and tried making some baguettes with it using this recipe:

and had half of one with potato leek soup.

And also an artichoke with mayo.

17 Likes

I am of the opinion that many things can be improved with pickle brine and horseradish. And vodka.

8 Likes

Words to live by!

2 Likes

I made Salisbury steak again, mostly using the same Serious Eats recipe,

but no mushrooms in the gravy. I did use the Trader Joe’s mushroom powder. Husband doesn’t like mushrooms but I think it’s the texture and not the flavor.

I also made charred/roasted cabbage and carrots inspired by a few recipes, but husband ate all the carrots before I could take a picture. Cabbage sliced about 1/2 thick, seasoned with granulated honey, garlic and onion, drizzled with avocado oil (because I need to use it) and roasted at 400 F. Same for carrots, but in a separate batch.

Thinking of making this with the leftover cabbage

14 Likes

Those look like they would make a great Salisbury Steak sandwich, esp. with some thick Brioche buns.

11 Likes

Play on Minestrone with carrots, asparagus, kohlrabi with porcini ravioli in a tomato juice, garlic, fennel seed sauce.

12 Likes

Last night I made this farro, mushroom, and spinach gratin for the first time.

This is a riff on Melissa Clark’s farro and gruyere gratin recipe, originally from The New York Times. (Link goes to Seattle Times. I could see the recipe at ST without hitting a paywall.)

If you decide to try this, know that the recipe as written calls for a lot of fat. What’s a lot? A full cup of mascarpone or creme fraiche, 6 tablespoons of olive oil for sautéing the mushrooms, and 8 ounces of shredded cheese for the topping.

Over the top for us, so I dialed way, way back with a half cup of creme fraiche, only as much olive oil as absolutely necessary to sauté the veggies, and used my microplane to dust the top with grated cheese (aged Gouda was what I had).

Rich enough to make us happy. The flavors of the grain and vegetables remained the main attraction without being overwhelmed by the fats.

Plus we have leftovers for a second meal, yay.

16 Likes

As I’ve mentioned, probably too many times, Mr Bean is an avid fisherman and we always have lots of fish in the freezer. I’ve been getting bored of my usual go-to preparations and decided to look for something new try. Since I happened to have a green papaya on hand, a Thai fish cake recipe I found seemed like a good way to use the fish and the papaya. Simple to make and very good.

22 Likes

How did you flavor your tofu. That looks like a very interesting idea.

Last night: homemade pizza with pre-made dough (because who has time for that?). Four-cheese blend, pepperoni, and sautéed spinach.

18 Likes

Tonight, I was able to do a little cooking. I saw this “recipe” (I don’t follow recipes; I see something interesting then just take the ball and run with it) on a video on my Facebook timeline. It looked good and easy, so I gave it a try, roasted chicken (bone in skin on) breast, with brown rice and sauteed broccoli. Finished with a lemon rosemary pan sauce. It was rather yummy!!

18 Likes

It takes about 5 minutes and than 18-24 hours sitting on the counter with high hydration pizza doughs like the one from Lahey (and you have much more control, variation possibilities etc)

5 Likes

Ditto. I make one batch, enough for 4 pizzas. Frig for flavor/freeze longer. Rinse repeat.

@gcaggiano given the wonderful meals you prepare at home, pizza dough seems so non time consuming.

3 Likes

those look fantastic!