What's for Dinner #67 - the It's Been A YEAR Since This All Started! Edition - March 2021

Yes, as we had to use the two items as they were going to expire and so, a first time for everything. The large plate was divided into four (had the grand kiddos) and so, I put them together …

The kiddos had a good time with it !

1 Like

Yesterday was St Joseph’s Day so I made the traditional Sicilian Pasta with Sardine Sauce. Given the great bucatini shortage I was worried about being able to find it. The local grocer I go to once a year to get my sauce ingredients (it’s become a ritual) had some lovely imported pasta. Not very pretty but very tasty.

14 Likes

It was a beautiful Spring day. Being down in the same general area for a haircut, a trip to my local Wegmans was also in order.

A trip to Wegmans meant dry scallops go on the menu for dinner. I asked for 5; got 6. But those 6 cost me just shy of $9.00, which is way less than what I would gotten in a restaurant ($20.00+ for 3-4 scallops). So I’m good.

After seasoning with s/p, they were pan-seared in olive oil and butter for about 4-1/2 min total (they were fat suckers and needed the extra time), then removed from the pan and added 1/4 cup dry white wine and about a half Tbsp of fresh lemon juice. Reduced that to about 3 Tbsp of liquid, mounted with butter off-heat to spoon over the plated scallops.

Israeli couscous and steamed asparagus. And wine for the cook.

25 Likes

Gorgeous

1 Like

We had an excellent dinner at St. Eve’s in Ho Ho Kus, NJ. Mrs. P enjoyed a juicy short rib burger with melted cheddar and caramelized onions. I enjoyed filet mignon au poivre. For appetizers we shared excellent squash and ricotta agnolotti with candied walnuts in brown save butter. We also shared eggplant Milanese with caponata, bruschetta, basil pesto, and balsamic. It all went great with an excellent Napa Cabernet.

15 Likes

I made whole wheat pasta with Italian sausage meatballs simmered in marinara, and steamed broccoli with roasted garlic olive oil and orange vinegar.

18 Likes

Last of the corned beef. Hash . Eggs sunny side up . Sprinkled with sweet Pimenton . Cheers.

17 Likes

A couple of dinners from last week:

17 Likes

Hanger steak with chimichurri, pan-roasted potatoes (started in the microwave), and roasted broccoli.

Kids had mexican - quesadillas and “crunch wraps” with beans, broccoli, and guacamole.

I made (GF) brownies for dessert - Alice Medrich’s cocoa brownies.

16 Likes

Oh my goodness @paryzer! I especially loved hearing it sizzle! But if looks could kill! I’m sure it tasted as good, as well!

1 Like

Thanks @Lambchop! Mrs. P nailed it this time. last time it was cooked more medium than medium rare, but this time she took it out of the oven early since it still cooks while it’s sitting. It was nice and juicy. That stuffing is amazing. Thanks again to @gcaggiano for the inspiration and recipe.

7 Likes

Yesterday were the NCAA D1 Wrestling finals so I grazed the afternoon and evening.

17 Likes

Nominations time for COTQ - come on over and hit me with your best ideas! Spring 2021 (Apr-June) Cuisine of the Quarter - NOMINATIONS

1 Like

Last night, BF made Chicken Parmesan. Always going the extra mile, he used single whole breasts which he then butterflied and pounded thin. The end result was this absolutely massive cutlet (which would have made for a good Schnitzel). Normally I go with two thin cutlets when preparing this meal, but this way was much more restaurant quality. A delicious meal, as always. There were leftovers!

There was also a martini. Of course!

19 Likes

Dinner at sister’s. Dungeness crab :crab: meat in a puttanesca-ish prep and homemade pasta.

19 Likes

17 Likes

Canned? CANNED? Only joking. It looks absolutely delicious. +1

One is tomato paste (passata) and the other is pulp … these are both combined with the fresh tomatoes you see in the sauté skillet. To give body as we had no more tomato sauce jarred for the pasta … We have spent a whole weekend making tomato sauce.

Yes, I had the boccatini and my dear had the short pasta …

Nice … simple lunch.

Thank you.

4 Likes

Truly I was only joking. It looks delicious and the presentation is lovely. Far and away from my skill set! :pray:

1 Like

Thank you.

It was quite good !

As you can see the products are “bio” (ecological) … and all exported from Italia.

1 Like