What's for Dinner #67 - the It's Been A YEAR Since This All Started! Edition - March 2021

Crosspost…

2 Likes

Gorgeous colors!

1 Like

Did some gathering of tax paperwork today in preparation for filing with the Fed and state. Because I forgot it’s mid-March and both gubmints will eventually want their pound of flesh, despite having already taken a lot.

So easy dinner…my version of Bertucci’s Silano pizza using half a package of pizza dough, leftover chopped chicken and asparagus, roasted broccoli, and a lemon garlic-herb cream sauce with some Boursin, heavy cream, lemon juice, and Penzeys Italian Herb seasoning. Topped with grated mozz and a sprinkle of Parm-Reg before baking on the pizza stone in the preheated oven.

Half for tonight, half for lunch tomorrow.

And wine. And it was good.

18 Likes

Did you do that in an ordinary oven? I can never make a great home pizza. “Good” or the adult version of an English muffin homemade pizza is the best I can ever do. ( please don’t tell me I’m the only one who made homemade pizza using English muffins and “fake” and Kraft singles…am ??)

1 Like

Reverse sear ribeye - I bought a whole prime rib roast from Costco last month and it had been wet aging in the fridge ever since, so I decided it was time to crack it open. I cut it into 1.5-2lb steaks and put a nice 1.5 lb specimen in a 200 degree oven for about 45 minutes, until it reached 95ish degrees internal. Short rest and quick sear in rendered beef fat got me here:

Very rare, just the way we like it. I might go up to 100 degrees before searing next time, but not much beyond that, because this was terrific. Ramp pesto from the freezer and Buffalo roasted cauliflower alongside.

11 Likes

@Saregama - thanks for the Bo luc lac inspiration! Loosely followed your simple recipe and Andrea Nguyen’s, but i used rib eye - turned out nice and tender. Marinated all day in fish sauce, dark & light soy, garlic, sugar, etc. Also made the “dipping” sauce for it, with a ton of lime juice, sliced shallots, lots of black pepper, minced garlic & bird eye chili, a teensy bit of minced ginger, a little sugar. It went over the meat, lettuce, and tomatoes. Also made Vietnamese garlic noodles because i had fresh pasta from my sister’s. Gahh, they’re never not completely delicious. Umami bomb dinner, all the way.

16 Likes

We had a spectacular dinner at Bloom in Verona, NJ which ended up being comped by the very generous and gracious Chef Woo. If you recall my last dinner there in an igloo in the freezing cold was not optimal. The Chef felt so bad that he comped our meal despite my protest. I left a nice tip for the server. I also bought a bottle of wine for the Chef, as I have been doing the last few months.
I enjoyed an awesome Korean chili poutine with kimchi, cheddar, gruyere cheese, pickled jalapeños, and ground meat. I also had an amazing bone marrow with kimchi, some spicy pork and bulgogi tacos, monster chicken and ham sandwich. Mrs. P enjoyed scallops with wild mushrooms, mushroom risotto, and kimchi puree. We also had French onion soup (not pictured). It all went great with a nice Argentinian Cabernet.

17 Likes

I pan fried local pork chops and served them with steamed broccoli with butter and Parm Regg, kale and broccoli slaw salad with cranberries, pepitas, and doctored poppy seed vinaigrette, and homemade sweet potato fries.

16 Likes

Tonight I made Jacques Pepin’s Chicken Persillade. Cubed chicken breast gets dredged in seasoned flour and sautéed in butter and olive oil. When it is cooked all the way through, I added a persillade that I made this afternoon consisting of chopped fresh parsley, garlic, lemon juice, and extra virgin olive oil. Departing from the recipe, I also threw in a splash of dry vermouth and a finely diced shallot. Served over rice pilaf, this was a shockingly easy but delicious meal.

What I would change: I put only three cloves of garlic into the persillade. When I smelled it after it “marinated” for eight hours, the garlic scent blew me away. I thought it was too much but it ended up not being enough. I would double up on garlic and probably make double the persillade (I didn’t use measurements). It really was great and I wish I had extra to drag some bread through!

Served with a Martinez.

21 Likes

that looks/sounds wonderful! will have to try.

speaking of cocktails, i had a Fascinator the other night - first i’d ever heard of it! From a FB friend.

Gin, dry vermouth, a splash or spray of absinthe, a spring of fresh mint. Quite nice, but not something I’ll probably make again and again. However, I’m LOVING my Monkey 47 Schwarzvald. Cha-chingy, but worth the occasional splurge.

8 Likes

That sounds unbelievable. I have all ingredients. I shall make one on my next imbibing night!

1 Like

Tots with corned beef, red onion, green onion, bell pepper, cheddar cheese, and a fried egg.

18 Likes

I knew I read about someone having that issue with the rye. I’ve a bottle of the same, and there’s cork all over the place. It’s batch #259, so maybe it’s something with their overall packaging process. Oh well, still tastes good haha.

Here’s some interesting reading on Luxardo cherries from Epicurious.

11 Likes

Last night was a chorizo and shrimp paella, or as near as I can get in this stainless steel pot.

19 Likes

Thank you for posting that. It was very interesting.

Every time I see a breaded / floured chicken dish that you share, I wonder why I don’t make them more… so delicious, just never strikes me!

Will rectify this week.

4 Likes

Yes, I did. An electric oven, but the pizza stone helps a LOT. After moving the stone to the lower rack, I preheated at 500° for about 30-45 minutes to ensure it fully came up to temp, and then after sliding the parchment paper (lightly oiled prior to spreading out the room temp dough) onto the stone, turned the oven down to 450°. I think I baked for 12-13 minutes or so?

4 Likes

Thank you.
The key to authentic Italian Cuisine are the colors of the flag; red, white and green …

Very interesting background.