What's For Dinner #60 - The Hot August Nights Edition - August 2020

Gorgeous and great sear!

1 Like

Thank you! I feel like I’m FINALLY really getting the hang of it.

2 Likes

Just the one on 35 in Neptune/Ocean Twp. I tend to end up there at least once a week. Usually more. The sweet potato thing was a ‘use up leftovers’ dish, but has evolved into a staple. I add lime and cilantro to finish. I make a similar kale saute with white beans that I finish with lemon juice, throwing in whatever else I have. Mushrooms, or spaghetti squash are nice, sometimes Dijon and smoked paprika at the end. I’m a volume eater, and work out a lot which makes me hangry, so the kale thing lets me cram in a lot of food for not a billion calories.

2 Likes

I love a corn pudding. Can you share the recipe?

One of my “favorite” things about kids. Doesn’t go away until much older. “I hate it.” “But you loved it last week.”

4 Likes

Right? It sounds ridiculously good. And indulgent. Frying chicken skin. Mmmmm…

1 Like

Thanks. That one would be my local one too. I don;t know why I don’t go there as it’s really not that much farther than the Neptune Shoprite which has become my regular store.

I love how your sweet potato thing came about. I do the same thing all the time. I just don’t like when the family wants it again and I now have to buy everything “fresh”.

1 Like

From a few days back, some “pulled pork” with mustard bbq sauce (used to be 1.3 lbs, shrunk to a packed cup of meat!!!), corn cakes, quick pickled green beans, and delicious fragrant melon from a nearby farm stand.
This is sort of the reality of how we eat. We do meat, but when we have it, it makes up no more than 1/3 of the plate because there’s never that much of it. We fill up the rest with starch and produce… Fed 4, including 2 teen boys, with only corn cakes left over. I let them have one spoon of meat for each helping :slight_smile:

17 Likes

We had some smoked Cajun dry rubbed country ribs from Sam’s Butcher shop and Mrs. P made a refreshing corn salad. We also had TJ’s sweet potato fries. It went great with an excellent Shiraz. It was finally nice enough do dine al fresco on the deck after several weeks of non stop 90+ weather.

18 Likes

Slept in. Even just an extra hour is luxurious.

Met sister at BJs to shop and add her to my account as a secondary user.

Went to Penzeys in Arlington. But they’re curbside pickup only during the COVID-19 crisis. :disappointed_relieved: So online ordering it will be.

Went to Trader Joe’s. Bought more than would fit in the single reusable bag I brought into the store. What else is new?

Pizza tonight. Chopped up some chicken from last night, roasted some broccoli florets and red bell pepper strips, made a homemade fresh tomato sauce with a couple of my tomatoes, minced garlic, dried Italian herbs, and some tomato paste. The whole thing went on half a ball of dough from the stupidmarket with some grated mozz and Parm-Reg and into the oven at 450° for about 10 minutes or so on the preheated stone.

There was wine. And there will be some TJs black figs with peppered honey and goat cheese for dessert.

21 Likes

This should come as zero surprise to anyone but making pasta with a 3 year old takes approximately 58x as long as it usually would. But we had a good time! Linguine with mussels in a onion, garlic, cherry tomato (plus a few other stragglers) broth.

25 Likes

Yum and double yum on that planned dessert. Figs are such a delicacy! I cherish them. I have a fig and through all these years of coddling have only had one successful year. Enjoy!

4 Likes

Friday night has become pizza night recently during lockdown. After a grueling work week I didn’t feel like making a thing but my son sweetly explained how much they like the tradition. So… I happily made pizzas feeling thankful for food traditions taking hold in their young lives. stop & shop whole wheat fresh pizza dough is our favorite. Everyone chooses their toppings. Baked at 450 .

Looking forward to a victory glass of wine. It’s been a challenging week.

18 Likes

Mo Weber & me dodged a spectacular Lightning storm this late afternoon to grill up some Ribeyes and COTC for dinner. Wish I had taken a photo of the in-process grilling. Impressed myself…

19 Likes

That top picture is glorious!

1 Like

very simple dinner by the BF, on pretty much our first day of this heatwave everyone else has been living with - 93 degrees in San Francisco today. BF made tacos from some kind of grilled beef we’d frozen earlier in the year, corn on the cob, a cuke salad, and doctored-up canned black beans.

Stay cool, y’all!

18 Likes

that looks splendid!!

1 Like

Grilled chicken thighs (hoisin, soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, chili garlic paste) with fried rice from scratch using leftover white rice from the other day. There are also grilled onions underneath the chicken.

There was more hoisin for dipping also also some chili crisp. Chardonnay to drink, even though vodka was calling- early morning tomorrow.

15 Likes

Thank you :blush:

1 Like

Ohh, it’s so hard to say no… My nieces get me every time.