What's For Dinner #60 - The Hot August Nights Edition - August 2020

Thanks. Which Wegman’s was that? I’m not a usually a Wegman’s shopper but would take a road trip. I love the idea of sweet potatoes with jerk seasoning, and even better with red beans and kale.

1 Like

Still working on the rice pilaf. Citrus salmon with asparagus ready for the grill. and …rice.

Rice😋

15 Likes

Nice! Can you say more about the pilaf, or did I miss that?

Sure. I infused veg stock w saffron threads, added frozen baby peas and diced carrots to the heated stock. Then long grain rice, butter and 20 mins later finished with a touch of light cream.

2 Likes

Let me know if it’s at the one near me; happy to grab it for you next time I go if you don’t need (HA!) to make the trek north.

2 Likes

Fish-fragrant eggplant with ground chicken, and cauli-jasmine rice pulled from the freezer. Some fantastic pork and shrimp wontons from a local chef at the farmers market, and garlic-ginger sauteed purslane from our yard. I made a delicious pea puree for the kiddo, which he previously loved. He rejected but did at least taste it.

10 Likes

Leading with this photo of a few Michigan Sweet Corn because this season, all over the state, it is stellar!

Kroger provided the marinated and stuffed stuffed chicken breasts. Blissful dinner.

21 Likes

Beauties

1 Like

Thanks for the comment Dan. Awesome eating.

1 Like

Simple dinner tonight after picking up some split chicken breasts (and a couple of whole chickens) at $.89/lb. at Hannaford.

Roasted maple-pepper chicken, rice pilaf, and steamed green beans with Penzeys Mural of Flavor.

Wine. And the start of a 4-day weekend for me.

20 Likes

Enjoy!

3 Likes

Stole an idea from a cooking show I saw today - chicken sausage wrapped in chicken skin and fried. I was actually in the mood for Buffalo wings but didn’t want to bother with thawing them. I had a package of thighs with skin in the fridge, so I pulled off the skins, took out the bones and ground up the meat with an onion and some Frank’s Red Hot to make a sausage-like mixture. Rolled it up in the skins and shallow fried until crispy and golden, then drenched in Buffalo sauce (just Red Hot and butter). Hit the spot, especially with housemade blue cheese dressing (and crudites for fiber!).

11 Likes

Dang! Both for the food (that chicken skin looks amazing…) And the price too! What’s your cb method? I’ve gotten lazy, if I’m not doing a whole roast chicken, I do cb at high temp for about 12 min per side in the oven which ends up juicy with dry brining help, but never with skin on cb…

1 Like

Because you didn’t want to be bothered with thawing wings? :grinning:

JK. Sounds amazing and I like to think I would have done the same.

1 Like

Thanks for the offer. I’ll probably try Super Supermarket first and then if they don’t have Walkerswood I will continue my trek north.

1 Like

Takeout tonight from The Greek Spot in Red Bank, NJ. I had pork souvlaki with spinach rice, mom had chicken souvlaki with Greek fries, and BF got a falafel wrap. We shared the spicy feta dip and extra pita bread. All amazing, as usual!

19 Likes

This time I went with 375° for about 45 minutes for these 2 chickie boobies, and they were wonderfully moist (basted once). I often do the high heat for 15-20 minutes the 350° for remainder of the time for whole chickens.

As for the price, I’ll be going back for another package of the split breasts to tuck into the freezer. The 2 whole birds are already in the chest freezer in the garage. Getting both birds for about $5.50 each was something I couldn’t pass up.

4 Likes

Hahaha, as I was doing it I thought to myself “is this really less annoying than going to the basement to get the wings and waiting for them to thaw?” But then I remembered that I would also have to deep fry the wings in several batches, whereas these were easy to shallow fry and one skillet made enough for two people. And I didn’t have to go downstairs! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Strip steak cooked sous-vide with previously frozen bearnaise serving as a kind of compound butter, mashed potatoes, broccolini, cherry tomatoes, and pickled cucumbers.

20 Likes

I forgot to take a pic of the full plate but these seared scallops looked too perfect.

I made zoodles tossed in butter and garlic, cucumber salad, grilled broccoli and brown rice. Very tasty!

22 Likes