What's For Dinner #60 - The Hot August Nights Edition - August 2020

Pomegranate braised lamb shanks with baharat spices.

Sort of of like this.

12 Likes

I mentioned @gcaggiano’s pepperoni stuffed mushrooms to Mr Bean who thought they sounded great. So great that HE decided to make them for dinner. They came out really good. Served with Roman style gnocchi on sautéed cherry tomatoes and grilled octopus. I stumbled across the octopus at Costco. It came precooked and all I did was marinate it for a few minutes and tossed it on the grill. I love grilled octopus but this was pretty meh.

11 Likes

Too bad on the octopus @MsBean, but good to know. I’ve only had bad, rubbery octopus, but want to try some wonderful stuff sometime soon.

1 Like

It wasn’t really bad but there was something about the texture I didn’t care for. Mr Bean liked it. I will say it was much easier than dealing with a whole octopus.

2 Likes

LOVE this! The first time I made pasta I was ~two years younger than now–and it was with @MsBean so 3 is ahead of me! :rofl:

3 Likes

Lol. I was just thinking about our pasta making adventure when I saw @gracieggg’s post. Maybe someday we can have a girls’ night pasta making adventure.

4 Likes

Will join you guys when I get the Gulfstream lol. :joy_cat:

1 Like

It’s a date!

2 Likes

Here you go, @Sasha. Link to corn pudding recipe plus my modifications.

I have found the original recipe to be adaptable, as you’ll see.

3 Likes

It was a disgusting 108 when I left work yesterday. Luckily DH volunteered to pick up. Fried pita, hummus, hot sauce, wraps, and a Greek salad. No dishes no cooking! And, we each have half a wrap for lunch today.

16 Likes

108F/42C? O.M.G.

Yesterday was the first time it dropped below 30C/86F after like 10 consecutive days of the heat wave. The hottest August on record.

1 Like

Hi @ChristinaM
Sorry, just was not quite in the frame of mind.
Been cooking and taking pics with the intent to post, but then just wouldn’t feel up to it.
Appreciate your page…

9 Likes

Welcome back.

1 Like

Very glad to hear from you. :orange_heart:

4 Likes

We had some CSA produce to get through, so I made Turkish-style braised runner beans, okra, and onions with fresh tomatoes and added summer squash and peppers for good measure. Also made homemade Turkish flatbread (DH cooked off the dough we bread-machined earlier), homemade hummus, and ground beef seasoned with cumin, allspice, black pepper, Aleppo, Urfa, etc and drizzled with peppermint-yogurt sauce.

21 Likes

Quiet afternoon after a haircut and very quick visit to Wegmans.

Kinda nice to have the windows open. Will also help the electric bill to have the A/C unit off, as that was definitely higher than I liked for my last payment to National Grid.

Sea scallops picked up at Wegmans was dinnah: pan-seared with a lemon-garlic wine sauce, leftover rice pilaf, and steamed asparagus.

Wine. And probably more figs with peppered honey and goat cheese for dessert.

19 Likes

Had a couple boneless skinless chicken thighs. Some brown mushrooms and a bag of cut kale dictated the direction.

Started the thighs in the Darto pan stove top. Added sliced mushrooms and kale and popped the pan in the oven to finish. Pulled at 170f. A quick tomato, pepper and mango salad was made

14 Likes

The ol’ Saturday night stalwart: chicken cutlet with mushrooms, asparagus, and melted provolone. Dry vermouth deglazing. But accompanied by one of my new favorite sides: couscous salad with scallion, chick peas, spinach, and lemon vinaigrette.

To drink: it’s Saturday…so a martini of course!

18 Likes

Your salad looks like something we would love! Is it an actual recipe or just your own concoction? Recipe or guidance please?

2 Likes

So jealous that you got a haircut. My last one was in March before everything shut down (SF Bay Area), and I’m starting to look like Einstein (except my hair is bigger, longer and curlier)!

4 Likes