What's For Dinner #60 - The Hot August Nights Edition - August 2020

bits and bobs from the fridge, including a VERY stinky hunk o’cheese (I think it was a fourme d’ambert - yum.)

19 Likes

I would soooooo like to do this…

2 Likes

Proper bread here! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Egg salad sandwich on shokupan, and a salad.

15 Likes

With humble acknowledgement to others going through very real weather induced living trials, I’m reporting I got together with my pal Mo Weber on a ghastly, hot and humid late afternoon in SE Michigan. I did a lot of peeking and ducking in and out of the A/C in our house (wimp that I am). Mo Weber, just powered along in the full Sun.
Used up the end of a bag of Yukon Gold potatoes, a red bell pepper, and a healthy Vidalia Onion slice, diced. Added well-cut pork loin chops from a local market when I thought the fire had banked. And voila: dinner.

http://guastellosvillagemkt.com/

22 Likes

Remember all that pork from a few days ago… Tonight was Bo Ssam night.

I finished the pork with a sugar and vinegar rub, broiled to crisp (well, it got charred again), made a scallion-ginger-cilantro-serrano condiment (riff on my usual, not the Momofuku recipe which doesn’t blister the aromatics), and approximated the ssam sauce with what I had on hand (sichuan doubanjiang and miso instead of gochujang, plus a few other things).

The pork was delicious, but the scallion sauce was the hit f the night - gone in the blink of an eye (which I expected, but I was short on scallions even after lobbing off all the garden ones).

Meal rounded out by saucy mushrooms, steamed broccoli, and brown rice.

23 Likes

Well thank you @RedJim - love me some good bread, best part of dinner, almost…

1 Like

Nice

1 Like

Sometimes odds and ends nights are the best!

2 Likes

scallion ginger sauce is THE TITS!

And your pork looks marvelous. great dinner!

4 Likes

Yesterday was my wife’s birthday so I cooked to her menu. Seared scallops (no picture) and confit byaldi aka ratatouille. I’m not a fan of either scallops or eggplant but she’s my wife and I love her.

I take some liberties with Thomas Keller’s recipe. Ssshh - don’t tell him. I use a very thin layer of red potato slices (mandolin) at the bottom and I don’t puree the pepper sauce. Mandolin for eggplant and squash, tomatoes hand cut. This one was not the most beautiful and I’m still experimenting with adjustments to bake with convection. My wife likes it though and that is the important part. Apologies for not wiping the edge - I was busy with scallops.

18 Likes

You cooked a lovely birthday dinner! I expect your wife was pleased to have her favorites.

3 Likes

Thanks, she was.

2 Likes

Hole. Eeeee. CRAP! That looks amazing!

2 Likes

That looks so good!

Daaaaaaamn that looks amazing!

3 Likes

Dinner last night; leftover rotisserie chicken, thus chicken tacos, with Hatch chiles, and condiments. My plate is pictured - lettuce avocado & salsa beneath the cheese. That counts as salad, right?

14 Likes

Ok, tonight was just me and didn’t feel like going to pick something up so into the fridge I went. Some leftover angel hair tossed in butter, olive oil, shallots, garlic, parsley with toasted pignoli nuts. Some fresh Parmesan sprinkled atop. Rather good fridge clean out meal!

19 Likes

Pasta e ceci stew

17 Likes

I give you a summer succotash with merguez sausage. Crusty baguette on the side to mop up the juices.

17 Likes