What's For Dinner #102 - the Out With the Old Edition - January 2024

We take a butter lettuce leaf, add some jasmine rice, spoon bo ssam sauce over the rice, place pork shoulder and skin on the rice, a little more bo ssam sauce and top with kimchi. The skin and the bark of the meat has a layer of caramelized brown sugar which provides a nice contrast to the kimchi.

8 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was another of yesterday’s impulse purchases: Dungeness crab.

In my defense, it was on sale, and because I didn’t know what quality it would be, I was very circumspect in portion (so what’s pictured only cost $3).

Anyway, what to do with it? Butter garlic sauce to the rescue. I tossed the crab in that, then removed it to a plate and cooked capellini in the same pan with more garlic plus chilli flakes, and butter.

Broccoli steamed and finished with butter to round out the meal.

More of the marble cake for dessert (tomorrow will be the last of that, rip in and on my tummy, dear cake).

I’ll have to go back for more crab — it was a really delicious and cheap impulse buy!

19 Likes

Hah! Good eye! I did!

ETA: there was really no good reason other than channeling indian vermicelli and also having the butter and garlic already in the pan — but it tasted good.

1 Like

Isn’t it fun? I usually run a mixing cycle 2-3 times before allowing it to extrude. :spaghetti:

1 Like

I wish I knew more about dungeness crab, when I used to travel to Silicon Valley for work one of my colleagues knew where to order it and it was fabulous but I didn’t really pay attention and now his knowledge is buried somewhere under the wtc :sob:

3 Likes

I made it a while back, and am always curious what others like eating with it (my favorite is the ginger scallion sauce, though I don’t need the lettuce wrap - a bit of rice is good for me; in the restaurant he also served scallion pancakes / crepes which were nice).

I actually bought some pork shoulder yesterday after more than a year and was mulling over whether to use porchetta seasoning, mojo-style marinade, or go with bo ssam. Now I’m wondering if your post is a sign…

Sorry about your colleague.

In all my years of travel to the west coast, never did I have any colleagues or clients adventurous enough to venture out with me to get crab, so lucky you!

Btw I know nothing about Dungeness other than what I read here and elsewhere. My familiarity is with the mud crabs back home, which are usually smaller and deliciously sweet. This was a good crab, though — full of meat and good flavor, but not as sweet as the ones I’m used to.

Last night we had dinner with friends at their place. She pivoted last minute to making sous vide pork tenderloins that she pre-rubbed with salt, white pepper, and garlic powder, seared after SV, and sliced and topped with hoisin sauce. Surprisingly good! Sides were Korean short grain rice, a Brussels slaw with peanuts, and I brought asparagus that I sauteed until tendercrisp and dressed with cubed butter, sesame oil and seeds, a schoch of black vinegar, and sweet soy. I also made oatmeal scotchies from Sally’s Baking Addiction (and broke my OXO cookie scoop on 2nd use!:cry:).

Tonight my DH and I collaborated on Cooks’ Country’s cider-braised pork roast with apples. I didn’t have enough apples and we didn’t bother with defatting the sauce, only straining. Made entirely on the stovetop in a PC - about 40 min at high PSI for a sliceable, moist boneless shoulder roast. I used rendered bacon for frying the apples and a little Better than Bouillon to balance the sweet. Good and easy - would make again. Served with broccoli roasted with oil and seasoned salt. Simples.

19 Likes

That’s awful, but they used to have great customer service, so they will likely replace it if you call them.

4 Likes

I emailed :slight_smile:

They have been great in the past so :crossed_fingers:t2:

4 Likes

I had forgotten I had Spain On A Fork bookmarked until @mariacarmen mentioned it. I found a great recipe for tuna salad, Ensalada de San Isidro. Toasted baguette with garlic butter and Manchego cheese. There was a G&T and Cuarenta y Tres sangria.

20 Likes

Another giant salad, courtesy of the BF, with another beautiful soft-boiled egg…

21 Likes

I think we talked about the garlic crabs I had in mumbai, were those mud crabs? they were delicious! My client had to pull me away from the table :rofl:

at least half my colleagues were asian, so I had great guides throughout my journey.

1 Like

DH manning both the grill and the deep fryer tonight. A USDA-prime, 2-lb. bone-in rib-eye with reverse sear. Russet potato chips. My contribution included tossed salad greens, a pie made of garden sour cherries (stonefruit from frozen which I put up last season), and homemade vanilla ice cream.

24 Likes
5 Likes

About six months ago, I was challenged that I never ate leftovers. This was ridiculous as I consider leftover Chinese and pizza to be cherished snacks. But as for homecooked leftovers, apparently I let them go to waste.

Several times I made jokes, saying, “Here, let me wrap that up so we can throw it out in three days”.

Everyone else stepped up, so I figured to do my part. Some dishes do not reheat well. At least this brisket was still amazing.

8 Likes

Meatless Monday (is that still a thing?) homemade flatbread pizzas. One with ricotta, broccoli, and garlic. The other had roasted zucchini, mushrooms, and onion.

If we can have Meatless Monday, we can certainly have Martini Monday.

22 Likes

I forgot how much fun it is. I remember the first time I used it. I borrowed it from work as I was going to be teaching a pasta making class using the Philips and wanted to try it out. We were very surprised at how easy it is and quick. I wasn’t paying attention when the pasta started extruding long before the timing suggested by the manual. I’ve rearranged my storage for better access.

2 Likes

I didn’t see anything in your post except this. :wink:

2 Likes

You guys are killing me with the crab. When I was a kid it wasn’t unusual to have crab here. In fact, my mother recalls me being two years old and cracking and picking through crabs by myself with a rock I had. :joy:
Now if I mention crab everyone here acts as if it’s an impossibility to obtain some. I know a lot of our seafood goes to tourists by way of all the resorts, plus restaurants in the capital, but it still seems it shouldn’t be so difficult to procure some. All I want is a crab empanada. :sob:

3 Likes