Weekly Menu Planning June 2023

That tomato salad and dumpling dish sounds so good to me. And yay anniversary trip to NY!

7 Likes

Happy anniversary! A celebratory trip to New York sounds lovely.

4 Likes

I don’t eat pork very often, but we do love that bo ssam, and it’s so easy! And the two sauces are amazing. Thanks for the reminder!

That spinach salad sounds so good. I love the combination of spinach, strawberries, pecans, and blue cheese. I’m making a collection of savory strawberry and savory blueberry recipes. Ooops, need to add blackberries to that list.

Sending best wishes for the foot surgery news! I had six arthroscopies on my knee before it was half replaced just before my 44th birthday. Crutches are not fun! Especially in Boston in the winter.

4 Likes

Happy anniversary newly weds. Its still a honeymoon.

2 Likes

Actuals for June 19 week, cooking for two in MN. Where actually RAIN fell last night and sparse green amid the crunchy grass is breathing a sigh of relief. Lots of reheating of larger-batch leftovers this week. And I’ve just acquired a Costco-tub of fresh spinach so you’ll see a LOT of that in next week’s actuals.

Mon: OUT all meals - brunch with a friend and a ChickFilA “I don’t want to cook” supper
Tues: Lasagna Soup, baguette, red grapes
Wed: Shepherd’s pie – another Julia Pacheco freezer meal try-out. Full-flavored, and using prepared mashed potatoes made assembly fast. (Simply Potato brand happened to be on sale this week). 2 C of frozen mixed veggies instead of just the peas & carrots listed in the recipe. Sides – sliced fresh apple, red grapes
Thurs: Reheated Shepherds Pie.
Fri: lunch - Awesome poppy seed ham and Swiss baked sandwiches, peaches with cottage cheese, potato salad. BAKED rhubarb orange pecan muffins dinner - One-Pan Lemon-butter sauced rotini with chicken and zucchini
A quarter-recipe made 4-6 servings OK, not wow, but fast to prepare and easy cleanup. Sides of coleslaw plus chips & salsa. Beer.
Sat: Reheat Fri pasta. For the 2nd/reheat night I used ideas from a NYT pasta recipe and added crumbled cooked bacon, toasted pinenuts with melted butter, another T of lemon juice and more Parm cheese, Spinach salad, tortilla chips and salsa
Sun: (today) - noon - Lasagna Soup, baguette, spinach salad, red grapes, dinner -hot ham sandwich, potato salad, shredded carrot/apple salad

12 Likes

What a delicious week!

Making mental note of the miso-ginger chicken & rice.

I loved the bo ssam when I made it – highly recommend scallion ginger sauce on the side (and a lot of it!)

4 Likes

Hi, everyone. Sorta-cooking, sorta-not for two adults and a tween in the Boston burbs. Thursday morning we discovered a huge leak in our (finished) basement, which meant no water for 24 hours and lots of phone calls to plumbers and our homeowners insurance company. The plumbers found and fixed the source of the leak by mid-day Friday, and the remediation company ripped out tons of wet carpet and drywall, and the fans/dehumidifiers are going full speed. Hopefully it will all be dry by Tuesday - then the general contractor will come at the end of the week to see what needs to be rebuilt. I think our stuff is all okay, but waiting to hear if the sofa and loveseat dry out properly. Oh, and we don’t have any hot water yet, so I’m not cooking any meat from raw.

Fri: out for hibachi/teppanyaki, but sushi for me. Loved the show though! We were seated with two other “two adults, one kid” families and it was interesting seeing the 3yo and 10yo compared to DS.

Sat: out for pizza

Sun: burrito bowls with rotisserie chicken (from yesterday’s trip to Costco), beans, rice (heat and serve), etc. I also made fudgsicles and strawberry-sour cream ice cream using the strawberries from Thursday’s work outing. Can you tell the house is hot because of the fans and dehumidifiers downstairs?

Mon: nachos - DS is making dinner

Tues: pulled pork, buns or not, asparagus (wonder if I can have DS make the pulled pork? We bought a 16lb butt at Costco so he’d need my help to get started.:sweat_smile:)

Weds: the beef and broccoli ramen I didn’t make last week due to the flood

Thurs: pulled pork with cornbread, zucchini

Fri: tbd

14 Likes

KUDOS for sheer grit in dealing with your nasty water leak/flooded basemen, AND still planning home-prepared meals.

Is your pulled pork prep in the oven or on the grill? I’d trust a tween with oven but not grill monitoring - too many variables with grill.

6 Likes

Pulled pork is in the InstantPot, which he does know how to use. (And with this needing a natural pressure release, and a 2-hour total cook time, I’d just have him set it up - no danger from quick-releasing the pressure!)

3 Likes

Happy Anniversary and travels to you!

I’m glad you enjoy the larb. I love it but my not so little one has been putting up a fuss about it so I’m putting a pause on it for us. Kids. . .

6 Likes

Hello to everyone from the Twin Cities of MN where like MTT said we had real Rain! We have been joking that in the course of the reno the electrician mush have installed some forcefields/ deflectors/shields keeping rain away. I went outside at midnight and just stood under the eaves feeling it pour and the flashes and rumbles were so de-stressing. Mr Autumm’s going to have to mow the weeds this week. He has an ear infection with a ruptured ear drum and thinks taking Advil for the pain will cost him man points. Also can’t hear out of that ear. Actuals for 2 adults and 2 growing girls and plans for 2 adults and one girl as big kiddo is at camp for the week:

Fri 23: Purchased popcorn shrimp and freezer fries. Sautéed zucchini (CSA). Both kiddos were tired and grumpy. So was Mr Autumm

Sat 24: A riff on beef and broccoli only using bok choi (CSA) and instead. Couldn’t find black bean sauce that I Know is here somewhere so improvised. Meh. Leftover blue box to top off the kiddos. Made green garlic, scallion, and herb cream cheese spread with CSA veggies for snacking.

Sun 25: Tonight! Grilled teriyaki pork tenderloin with purchased fried rice, assorted leftover veggies after dropping big kiddo off at camp. Note: If you want it to rain, grill.

Mon 26: Little one skates late. Freezer dive I would Love to make a curried basil fried rice as we have a lot of CSA basil but the timing doesn’t look promising

Tues 26: CSA veggie pick up- possibly dinner out if not too warm. Our favorite patio spot closed so searching for new options

Weds 27: Our new inverter for our solar panels to be installed! Rain in the forecast? We will see what the veggies are featured this week. Out if we don’t go out on Tuesday

Take care everyone!

14 Likes

I love this!!! I’m cooking from the ATK Summer book this week, so I’m doing a teriyaki chicken and garlic scape stir fry, and a green goddess chicken on a different night. I’m doing ricotta and oregano meatballs from Ottolenghi’s Simple tonight though.

Had hoped to do a corn bucatini, but the season hasn’t started yet, and was hoping to do a nettle soup, but that season just ended.

7 Likes

True in our neck of the woods, as well.

4 Likes

Everything sounds yummy. Have you made the Green Goddess chicken before?

1 Like

Ugh, word. I finally gave up and I’ll just stand out there with my hair pasted around my ears like an angry cat.

4 Likes

Nope! First time. My mom always fell in love with the specific type of green goddess dressing they have at the Melting Pot, and I also enjoy that flavor profile so decided to give it a try. I really do like the ATK books though there’s some kinda repetition in some of the apps, but that’s to be expected.

3 Likes

This sounds so delicious!

5 Likes

I was wondering about that dumpling and tomato salad - thanks for the endorsement!

And happy anniversary! Have a wonderful trip – look forward to hearing about what you ate and where you went !

3 Likes

One night we’ll go to Balthazar, just because we went there after we got our license, just the two of us, so I felt like that was our own, private celebration. (We got married in NYC.)

8 Likes

Love that private memory :two_hearts:

What?! That’s lovely – were you living there at the time?

4 Likes