Pernil!

Yes I did! I got some seeds from a pepper I from my MIL.

3 Likes

bravo! lookin good!

1 Like

Looks fabulous

1 Like

Three hours under parchment and foil at 300 f, about170 at 3 hours, and I’m not feeling confident about crispy skin.

The second NYT recipe reads " This recipe is deeply indebted to the chef Maricel Presilla and her recipe in “Gran Cocina Latina", but I have the book and cannot figure out which pork recipe it is!

A few recipes reference finishing at 400 f , so I might try that. Others mention separating at least part of the skin from the meat and one mentions finishing with a broil, but I seem to recall that not working out so well with a pork belly.

1 Like

@shrinkrap when I made the Momofuku pork butt recipe, it called for a very hot oven at the end to crisp up the skin - pork sits on a rack for circulation. Maybe try that?

ETA: the oven ran very hot, so I turned the pork a few times (turned the baking tray mostly, and I may have flipped it once).

Thank you! Mine is on a rack. How hot was very hot? I may have that cook book too.

I do .

500 - I just looked at pics of the bo ssam and the porchetta I made around the same time, and they both charred a bit so keep an eye on it - and make sure it’s on the lowest shelf!

(Even charred, though, it was delicious!)

On roast, right?

Yeah. I may have broiled by mistake. Pics were posted.

1 Like

I liked it then, and I like it now!

Coming along…

Not on the lowest shelf but watching closely! Moments later,vat 175 f internal.

What is the hottest part of a convection roasting oven? Nearest the fan,? I guess it’s supposed to be even all around.

Not all of the skin has a hollow “thunk” but I took it out.

9 Likes

Can’t argue, so did I!

Maybe I’ll make the pernil (assuming you like how it turns out) when I visit them soon, because it goes perfectly with the beans & rice and tostones their cuban friends taught us!

1 Like

Looks so purrrtyyyy!

2 Likes

Not pull-apart, but great texture, moist, and very tasty, and the skin has the perfect crunch.

7 Likes

Looks fantastic!

1 Like

I might have asked before but - please, share more details on how to make this. Thanks in advance!

Sure! I model it after what the version that the dim sum place I first ate it at tastes like.

Ginger Scallion Oil / Sauce / Condiment / Sorcery:

Mince lots of scallion (at least 1 bunch, but 2 is better) and more ginger — I toss them in the mini FP.

Cook on a low heat with a pinch or two of salt in plenty of neutral oil - you don’t want it to brown, but you want the raw edge off the ginger and the water exuded to evaporate.

If you don’t plan to store it, you can skip cooking and just scald the mixture. If you cook out the water and have enough oil to cover the solids, it will last a long time in the fridge.

This wasn’t in the recipes I looked at, but I finish to taste with salt, a pinch of sugar, and a splash of rice vinegar.

It’s a traditional accompaniment for Cantonese white-cut chicken (and Its cousin, Hainanese chicken), Momofuku serves it as one of the sauces with their Bo Ssam feast, it shows up as scallion / scallion ginger noodles, and so on.

I’ve never measured, but here’s WoksOfLife and Momofuku.

5 Likes

Thanks a ton!

1 Like

Nice fat cap! Bet that turned out perfect.

1 Like

https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/amp/food/story/make-cafes-signature-puerto-rican-roasted-pork-cubano-90973848

1 Like

Yes!