What's for Dinner #45 - 05/2019 - The Sunshiny, Flowery & Blooming May Edition

Cheeseburger, baked beans, green salad, and some overly fibrous sugar snaps. Spring is past.

4 Likes

a landmark day for Sky, his feline family, and his human! Human should celebrate, too!

1 Like

My Birthday weekend dinners continued with a spectacular dinner at Drew’s Bayshore Bistro in Keyport, NJ. Below are the details and mouth watering photos :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It’s still been raining here with snow still on the peaks. To much water in the river to fish .Still to cold to plant. Wheres spring .

We’re in the '90s here, 10 degrees warmer than usual. I’ll try to send the excess heat your way! I wouldn’t mind a little of your rain though. The grass is crunching underfoot from the lack of it.

1 Like

Brats topped with carmelized onion…

Three different mustards out, and neither of us chose to use any of them.

5 Likes

Thanks. It’s a lovely dish.

As for dinner tonight - chorizo, aubergine, dried apricots & prunes and almonds are cooked in the oven along with cumin, coriander seeds and chicken stock. Final sprinking of coriander leaves. Almost inevitably with my cooking at present, this is a Nigel Slater recipe (from Kitchen Diaries 3).

We’ll have that with crusty bread. We have some mousetrap cheddar if a corner still needs to be filled.

3 Likes

Our meals are like parade of condiments…

1 Like

Very good looking brat! And nothin goes together like peas and carrots…:yum:

2 Likes

Dinner last night was a beautiful salad with bleu cheese dressing, spaghetti topped with brown butter and mizithra cheese and also with homemade bolognese sauce. We made a quad batch of sauce, so there’s 4 containers of sauce in the freezer. Bonus! It really hit the spot due to our cool & rainy weather.

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend no matter what the weather.

5 Likes

We’ve had a good balance of dinners cooked at home and takeout to make things easy. Earlier in the week we had sauteed salmon with sweet potatoes and shredded Brussels sprouts and onions (a little overcooked but still tasty).

The next night we had fried chicken breast sandwiches with cole slaw and broccoli cheese soup. The purple lettuce from the garden doesn’t add much visual appeal, especially since the coating was a little dark. The chicken was flavorful but my portion was a little tough even though it was cooked to temp. I guess I should have used thighs and cut the heat a little.

And Friday night was pizza and wine. Dough is brushed with lots of garlic and oil, topped with crushed San Marzanos and then lots of fontina, parm and asiago fresco. The basil in the garden hasn’t been too happy with the cold, wet spring so we didn’t have enough for topping. It’s just starting to come around.

12 Likes

Following image

For the rest of the parade:

6 Likes

Leftovers - watered down the spicy green chicken chili with broth and topped with avocado, radish, sour cream, and cucumber. Leftover salad with homemade ranch alongside.

10 Likes

Had a good visit with Mom, although an unsuccessful shopping trip for clothes for her after our visit was done. But my sister found Spring/Summer clothes for her in Maine that I think she’ll like, so a good day all around.

Enjoying the very warm weather we’re having in New England. FINALLY.

Dinner would have been better done on a grill but no grill, so…I heated up the oven. :astonished:

Big fat split chicken breast seasoned with olive oil, Penzeys’ Galena Street seasoning blend, augmented with dried savory and lemon powder.

Roasted until done, basting a couple of times.

Side dish was the rest of the creamy Armenian Rice Pilaf mixed with peas from earlier in the week.

And wine. I’ll watch the next in line of the Marvel movies that I haven’t seen (probably Thor: Ragnarok) or the first John Wick movie to try and catch up.

And PUDDIN’. Chocolate pudding for dessert.

9 Likes

My cooking mojo seems to fade as it warms up…! Didn’t get too far biking today, it was just too hot. There’s a bizarre amount of watermelon happening over here lately. Not as good as it will be later in the summer but seems to be on sale lately and so far the ones from florida are better than the ones from mexico

Also asian cucumbers are on repeat- soy sauce, black vinegar, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, scallions, cilantro, and sesame seeds

And a not especially exciting salad the other night

Lazy girl tofu and an even more hideous yet tasty dish of basically canned black beans and kidney beans with bbq sauce.
Yeah, like i said, the mojo is lacking!

8 Likes

My third and final birthday dinner was at Mezza restaurant in Westwood, NJ. This was our first time here and we had an excellent dinner. We started off with several appetizers of delicious Moroccan cigars which were braised short ribs wrapped in crispy phyllo dough with an herb infused tahini dipping sauce. We also shared Israeli fish tacos with branzino, Israeli salad, yogurt spread, and Dukkah nut mixture. Our third appetizer was crispy cauliflower with raisins, toasted pine nuts, and scallions, in a lemon and parsley infused tahini sauce. For entrees Mrs. P had an almond crusted grouper with sautéed spinach, tomato, lemon and brown butter sauce and cauliflower puree. Mrs. P asked for the sauces and purees on the side to keep the fish nice and crispy. It was delicious, but the presentation doesn’t look too good since everything was on the side. I had a sweet and savory Moroccan chicken tajine with Goffle Farm braised chicken, couscous, eggplant, preserved lemon, apricots, raisins, and currants. It all went great with a 2016 Cooper and Thief red blend aged in bourbon barrels for 3 months.

16 Likes

Check out a lobster pizza I made tonight and posted to my native NJ “What’s Cooking?” thread.

8 Likes

And this was very different from your “normal” choices.

1 Like

Yes, it was an International weekend; Spanish, Cajun, and Mediterranean :slightly_smiling_face:

Tonight - caulflower cheese, Jersey Royal spuds, green beans, sprinkling of smoked bacon shreds.

4 Likes