What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

I’ll get them to blog about it.

5 Likes

Looking good Greg and Jr.

I did two shrimp stuffed lobster today for lunch. I was going to add crab but those crab are still living for now. There was nice weather today and it wasn’t too hot in the breeze.

Some raw spring ready to be cooked for the stuffing…

Pre bake and broil

11 Likes

Nice!! Points for themed plates.

Here it is: my lobster pizza. I tagged Val’s in this on Instagram and they said it looks great and asked if I wanted a job. :laughing:

Used the meat of two steamed lobsters, quickly sauteed in butter and two cloves of minced garlic, black pepper, and parsley. As for the cheese, I used shredded mozzarella and a blend I picked up at Lidl this week consisting of mozzarella, parmesan, asiago, romano, and fontina. This was a heavenly pizza, maybe the best of the many I have churned out in the last year or so.

20190526_190224

10 Likes

That looks awesome Greg!

2 Likes

My third and final birthday dinner was at Mezza, in Westwood, and it was excellent. Below is a link to the pictures and details in the WFD thread.

6 Likes

Eli for the trifecta! Good job buddy! I’m glad you lived it up. You’re only young once :smile:

Greg, that looks great. I’ve never had any lobster pie with north Atlantic lobsters. I will have to try that. Vals uses the spiny/Caribbean/Brazilian tail meat. Did you use any sauce?

2 Likes

Nope, no sauce. But the butter the lobster was sauteed in kept the pie moist.

1 Like

I’ve used bearnaise as the sauce when making pies like this. I make a shaved filet mignon, jumbo lump crab, crumbled blue cheese and bearnaise as a pie.

2 Likes

Every time I eat lamb I’m reminded of just how much I love lamb … DH is a lover of beef, but these may have won him over… excessive # of photos I know sorry, I just want to look at them. Everything was cooked outside and was done shortly before it poured :+1:

loin lamb chops marinated in light sesame oil, soy, sugar, wine, fresh mint, garlic, paprika, red pepper and several other spices … I made a glaze out of the leftover marinade just added some mint jelly because DH needs mint jelly. Corn and asparagus for sides … oh and garlic bread, with a bit of fontina for me :slight_smile:

lamb%20resized

IMG_8377

12 Likes

You had me at lamB.:clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2:

That corn looks almost better than the lamb :wink:

So today I tried a lobster over whiskey barrel wood. It was decent but didn’t really impress me with any wood/smoke flavor. One bite had good flavor on the tail for some reason. I’m not sure why one bite was good. I’m perplexed.

For the first time that I can remember in a while, I broke a cracker. This thing was demolished and broke off at the shaft. I’m either a beast or this cracker was a POS. I’m thinking the latter lol :smile:

20190527_203950

5 Likes

It was all good, I really like grilled corn the smokiness and caramelization
seems to tame the sweetness which I often find off putting
I’m going to go with beast, referring to the lobster :wink:

Are you right on the water, nice!

kitty :smiley_cat:
EDIT: I could be cooking over telephone poles for all I know, tasty ones though if they are. I have to ask DH what kind of wood it is

4 Likes

We dined al fresco on the deck for the first time this year. Below is a link to the details and pictures in the main WFD thread.

4 Likes

What kind of spice did you use on the corn, if any? Looks great! The lamb looked amazing too!

Thank you, really kept it simple. It may seem boring, but I believe less is more when using really good ingredients and cooking over fire. I just melted good butter to which I added some crunchy salt and rolled the corn around in it before placing on the grill, it didn’t need a thing more. I’ve been eating corn steamed with nothing lately if it’s good. I like Australian lamb on the grill because it can stand up to an intense marinade and smoke, just seems to make it better. I use a more traditional marinade when cooking lamb, usually domestic, in the oven.

2 Likes

Not only does it sound great, but visually it’s really wonderful as well. I’m jealousy of the outdoor setup you guys have too.

2 Likes

Thanks Mr. Met! I only wish we had a larger deck. There isn’t much room to move around, but we make the most out of every inch. It will look even better once the flowers grow in.

In a moment of insanity, we bought a tawa at Patel Brothers today so we could make our own naan.

12 Likes

Thoughts on that pan? I have always made naan in a regular pan or in grilling weather, directly on the grill grates.

2 Likes