What's for Dinner #45 - 05/2019 - The Sunshiny, Flowery & Blooming May Edition

Baby Back Ribs:
Before…

After…

12 Likes

We had unplanned, spontaneous oysters and clams! The fam went on a hike and stopped at Hamma Hamma Seafood on the Hood Canal.

3 dozen oysters and 2 dozen very meaty clams. The oysters were grilled just until they opened and the 2 varieties of clams were steamed. We started with a hastily thrown together charcuterie & cheese platter. The sun came out, it warmed up and we sat on the deck eating and drinking. It was all delicious and a great way to spend the late afternoon.

The four of us weren’t hungry for the soup and cornbread I had made when the weather was cool. We’ll have it for another meal and lunches.

8 Likes

Those ribs look mouth watering Jimmy :yum:

1 Like

Thank you Eli. 'Twas a delicious meal.

1 Like

We dined al fresco on the deck for the first time this year. Mrs. P was exhausted from gardening so I picked up a couple of steamed lobsters and some sautéed spinach and mushrooms from Fairway. Mrs. P roasted some mini and shishito peppers. The lobster went great with some drawn butter, old bay, and Sabatino Tartufi truffle zest seasonings.

13 Likes

It was a quiet day spent in some reflection on those who went before us to protect those who come after them.

I also watched many YouTube episodes of an Edmonton, AB, Canada antique dealer who bought a hoarder’s house, a woman who was also a renowned, mostly self-taught potter using indigenous methods to create her pottery. The antique dealer cleaned out her house…a lot of junk, but some amazing finds, including a lot of her pottery. A video of an interview with the 102yo woman was included in what I’ve seen so far. My understanding is that some of her pottery was sold at auction, and some of the money earned went to her family. If you’re interested, search up “Curiosity Incorporated” on FB.

For dinner, I went with baby back ribs cooked low and slow in the oven using my favorite rib rub, then slathered with homemade apple cider BBQ sauce and broiled for a few minutes to caramelize.

Sides were (unfortunately) overly mayo’d peewee potato salad (my fault) and Maple Rainbow Slaw (Wegmans broccoli, cauliflower, red cabbage & carrot slaw with extra grated carrots with a mapley dressing).

And a glass of wine. Back to the grind tomorrow.

12 Likes

Ribeye steaks from the Midwest farmstead, sauteed zucchini, green beans with olive oil and aged balsamic, and a handful of leftover steak fries. I definitely had seconds of the meat. Kendall-Jackson “Avant” unoaked chard in our glasses. I manned the grill and was pleased with the cook.

10 Likes

Just looking at your couch brought this to mind…

2 Likes

We’re between periods so a quick update…Tried to make a Bruins-themed dinner of grilled mahi-mahi with lemons and black rice. Also, accompanied by some white beans and escarole that was kind of yellow-ish. I should’ve made COTC but we already had eaten some last night (quite sweet - from a local WF, presumably from Florida - everyone loved it).

Go B’s! Bonus hockey in May/June is awesome!

10 Likes

Seafood and cheese are a perfectly fine combination in my book.

1 Like

Thanks to the NJ thread, I’ve been craving lobster all weekend long :joy:

So tonight I made my first lobster roll! Fennel instead of celery, a bit of minced red onion, a touch of homemade mayo. Buttered and toasted split-top bun.

Side of Julia Turshen’s caesar salad, to use some more of the mayo. Added grape tomatoes after the pic.

The lobster roll hit the spot, but the caesar was a revelation - first time making the dressing myself.

10 Likes

back this a.m. from the beachhouse weekend. Our host greeted me with a lovely, floral Hendrick’s Midsummer Solstice gin martini with Meyer lemon-stuffed olives I brought. I’m stocking up on that gin, stat!

We went out to eat and 10 of us shared oysters, woodfired pizzas
(anchovies/capers, margarita, pulled pork), arancini, meatballs, couple carafes of a California Barbera, a cheese plate, and a couple of desserts (soft serve with olive oil and maldon salt, and some caramel/hazelnut thing i can’t remember but was outstanding) at a cute little resto in Bolinas, CA.

Sun. bfast, i made garlicky pan con tomate for some, while others had pancakes. lunch was nibbles of dips/chips (including a kimchi dip I made which surprisingly most people liked), thinly sliced cold tri-tip, bread, cheese, tortilla de patata, strawberries, and my turmeric shrub/gin/bubbly water cocktails.

dinner was a sausage fest - Peruvian, chili verde, and merguez i brought, my gambas al ajillo and Via Carota salad, a casserole of potatoes, cheese and rosemary the host made, and Soy Vey salmon (much tastier than I thought it would be). More cocktails and vino.

i left early this morning to come home and spend the day with the BF (he’s a solitary dude, prefers to be at home). We had our usual “brunch” of fries and beer at a local bar, came home, napped, then I prepped dinner - chicken i’d marinated in leftover chopped-up kimchi and its juices, with added soy and brown sugar, and Epicurious’ turmeric/coconut/ginger noodles. I very loosely followed the recipe (less soupy, more turmeric, added heat, different noodz, etc.) and loved how it turned out. definitely a keeper.

ready for a day off now please…

Hendrick's%20Summer%20Solstice%20Martini

15 Likes

Do tell!

1 Like

i had some VERY ripe kimchi i made i don’t even know how long ago (at least 8-10 months old!) that i chopped up very finely and mixed with softened cream cheese, sour cream, juice from the kimchi, and added gochujang. chopped green onions to finish it off, and a healthy sprinkling of gochugaru. i made it Fri. night and brought it out for lunch on Sat., and it needed something, so I mixed in a little soy sauce and more gochugaru. Just right! served with rice crackers and sliced cukes. it wasn’t the first thing to get finished (that was my gorgonzola/cream dip!) but people did seem to like it. kimchi can be a hard sell to some people…

10 Likes

A feast!

4 Likes

Just beautiful

2 Likes

Thank you!

My deck doesn’t look like yours. Neither did my dinner. Bravo!

3 Likes

Thank you Pilgrim :relaxed:

When Mrs. P finished the garden you have to show us photos!

1 Like