What's for Dinner #19- 03/2017 daylight savings time means more time to cook

Plus it won’t take up room on the counter like an IP would!:wink:

Thanks, @Ttrockwood. I have been using 2 or 3 kitchen gloves on 1 hand. At least there’s something between the skin and the blade. Need to get such a glove sooner or later.

One more meatball cooking project. Hope @linguafood approves! Basically it’s German meatballs, 1 of a few meatball dishes in German cookery. Königsberger Klopse means meatballs in the style of Königsberg (a former German city now Poland). The sauce is creamy and lemony.

5 Likes

The best appetite stimulant for Jasper when he was very ill, terminally so, was the otherwise useless FortiFlora for cats made by Purina. Only way he’d eat those last months. Worth a try. Fingers crossed. We had to let Formerly Fat Freddy the Freeloader go on Jan 2, sudden crisis, congestive heart failure. Down to the tiny tortie, 17 1/2 and only 6.5 lbs lifelong. She outlived those big bastards who scared and intimidate her lifelong and is really living the life as Queen of All She Surveys in her golden years.

I hope all goes as well as can be.

2 Likes

My cats have developed digestive issues with age. One vet prescribed a prescription food plus FortiFlora. Took several months to realize the FortiFlora was not the right thing for them. (No details since this is a food site :slight_smile:) Plain yohgurt (Greek I think) from TJ’s helped with that aspect of their problems.

One of mine is approx. 19, the other is 14. Lost the would be 17 yo last winter. The youngest had surgery in January. Really made it hit home that our time together is winding down. So I’m happy for each day we have together which makes it easier to remain patient about the cleanup that goes with their ageing issues.

2 Likes

Yes, Forti Flora is terrible for their guts, fortunately, did not have that effect on Jasper. I didn’t use a whole dose, either. My tiny tortie was a goner a couple of years ago, with inflamed gut, blockages, thick blood in the litter box and the vets IBS ideas did not work out. First, I put her on some of my hydrocortisone and she stopped vomiting every a.m. Then, since I noticed her food was coming out undigested, I got her some Totalzymes. Those two things helped a lot, but she was much better and all the intestinal thickness and blockage went away when I started using a nutribullet to liquefy her food. Adding a pinch of soil based probiotic helped a lot to normalize a lot. I decided it must be small intestine bacterial overgrowth and the vet gave me Tylan for her, an antibiotic. She’s been back to looking like a kitten and playful, shiny, and happy ever since. Every meal she gets some chicken flavored liquid hydrocortisone (doesn’t cause all the damage of Prednisone, my vet had never used it before), a scoop of Totalzymes, 1/32 of a tsp of Tylan powder, and a pinch of Prescript Assist. It really works. She’ll be 18 y.o. in July.

We had three senior cats a few years ago, haven’t been down to one cat in decades. At least we’re not watching her decline, as with the others. I hate the getting old and dying part of having fur kids.

2 Likes

Ouch! No seafood, this is tough!

1 Like

Sorry to see that happening, how about some creamy chicken soup, like some cheese or milk and maybe he will be inspired to drink more, does he likes cat milk? My cat couldn’t resist sliced ham, my MIL gave him sliced sausage Mortadella behind my back, I know some cat even like bacon, at this point, you just need to get him eating, does he eat raw food? I wish you do not need to make that very difficult decision. Best wishes to Buster and you.

damn, i’m suggestible. ordered!

2 Likes

Sorry for that. I heard the gloves is not 100% bulletproof. When I’m using the mandolin, i go slow.

But a few days ago, I had an accident with the microplane grater, nothing serious, sounds even a bit stupid, took an hour to stop the bleeding.

Meal tonight was reheating the mussels paella I did yesterday. It was good strong taste of safran and smoked paprika and peppers

Added more mussels the second night, still good!

10 Likes

The mussels look amazing

Burgers tonight. Sides; cubed and roasted potatoes, corn toasted and cut off the cob with diced red and yellow peppers cooked stove top.

2 Likes

Thank you. Lots of good info to research! I’ve had a hard time since I moved 10 years ago finding a vet who actually seems more interested in the animal than in pushing the insurance plan. I really miss our old vet- she was compassionate and totally wonderful.

1 Like

I’m so, so sorry for the sadness. Been through it in January, and it still hurts, though there’s some relief at an end to what began to look like suffering. It always sucks.

For mine, liquefying food so it could be lapped up really helped get them to eat; they tend to have inflamed teeth and gums even after cleanings, I’ve found.

Good call! I live alone and the last “incident” with my mandolin was a bit… messy. I won’t elaborate. No more asking google if i need stitches with the glove!

1 Like

Thanks. Now i want corn on the cob very badly. A good four months til i’ll be able to find some good corn though ;(

The Crazy in my office seems to be escalating. Another epic long day, and of course i will be working this weekend too. My “lunch” was coffee and a few bites of clif bar midafternoon.
I had an appetizer of subway platform vendor pretzels on my way home. Kind of random dinner with reheated leftover smothered cabbage and half of an everything pumpernickel bagel from my freezer stash toasted with a thick shmear of this new cultured vegan butter made from cashews and such that i bought at trader joe’s. And a BIG damned glass of wine a la carte.
I’m feeling like a big mug of hot chocolate made with coconut milk will be dessert alongside a date cookie.

1 Like

Friday night, pizza night. Made dough Sunday and put half in the freezer. This was the slightly soured unfrozen dough. Topped with a bit of provolone, fresh mozzarella, and pepperoni. Fresh basil when it was out of the oven.

10 Likes

that dough is insanely gorgeous!

1 Like

I got a fish filleter’s kevlar glove for mine, too, I’m just too prone to slicing myself up, and ditzy too.

1 Like

A pair of Kevlar gloves arived today. 5 days too late to save my right index finger but the other fingers were happy and rejoiced but threatened revolt if I forgot my promise to use it with the mandolin

4 Likes