What's for Dinner #19- 03/2017 daylight savings time means more time to cook

I had to send Buster over the Rainbow Bridge last night. Tough day at work on Friday, but thankfully I was given an “alone project” by my boss who knew that I was going to have to let Buster go, so I was able to be on my own and still be productive while at work. As well as keep my mind distracted with mindless work.

Buster was buried in my sister and BIL’s back yard today in the Everlasting Kitty Resting Place. He’s next to my CeeCee, Scooter, Jaspurr, and my sister’s Stella, Minnie, Harry, and one other I cannot remember. CeeCee is showing him the ropes of the afterlife, and showing him how things are until Mama is there to be with all of them.

I miss him SO much, but Alfie and I are dealing with being a one-cat household for now. We’ll find the right kitty-in-crime for Alfie when the time is appropriate. Meanwhile, Alfie is enjoying ALL of the attention.

But life goes on. Food is required, especially since I had a defrosted pork chop that had to be cooked or tossed. So it was seasoned with Penzey’s Tsardust Memories and extra marjoram, and pan-seared. Removed to a baking dish, and white wine, chicken stock and some balsamic glaze sauce added to the sauté pan and simmered to reduce while the pork chop finished cooking in the oven. A large pat of butter was mounted in the sauce for drizzling over top.

A sweet potato was baked, and some carrots, green beans, onions and red bell pepper was sauteed with salt and Penzey’s Sunny Spain seasoning.

There was most definitely wine with dinner. And there’s an after-dinner snifter of Cuarenta y Tres.

3 Likes

Ok. I’m a total What’s for Dinner lurker. But I’ve followed your relationship with Buster and your inspiring cooking, and I just want to send my thoughts your way. xo

6 Likes

No more lurking - jump in with all of your pots and pans and let us know what’s on your table! And thanks for the sentiments about Buster.

5 Likes

I am so sorry to hear about Buster. He was lucky to have a human like you!

4 Likes

Condolences Linda. So sorry to hear

3 Likes

R.I.P. Buster…

1 Like

Sorry for your lost Linda, those photos of Buster are so lovely, the kitty had a worthy life.

1 Like

So sorry, Linda. He had a good life and thanks for sharing it with us. He was very much a member of this WFD thread (as is Alfie). Take your time.

2 Likes

This is a very typical Dutch meal. Except I make it better, especially the gravy. In the same pan after frying I then added half a block of Bovril and a big blob of Indonesian soy sauce.

We ate it with warm Sauerkraut though other people prefer some kind of winter green (which is cooked to death). Last of grated horseradish on the side (not shown).

5 Likes

A prepared corned beef is on a the smoker for pastrami tonight

A quiet day, with occasional pangs of “He’s not there” when I was doing things around the house where I expected to see Buster. It’s going to take time, but it still sucks in the meantime. Alfie cuddles were in ample supply.

Simple dinner tonight - Gimme Some Oven’s Skinny Orange Chicken. I finally have the right amount of cornstarch for this recipe - I used about 1-1/2 Tbsp. instead of the 3 Tbsp. called for, which makes it way too gloppy. Wine alongside, and enough left over for several lunches (although I don’t think there will be a work lunch on Tuesday due to the blizzard watch).

5 Likes

:crying_cat_face:

3 Likes

Was thinking about you Linda. Good memories linger.

Tonight, home made pastrami and Swiss on rye. Slaw and chips.
The fresh slaw balanced the salt in the meat and chips

9 Likes

Lots of running about in the arctic weather yesterday and decided i needya big bowl of hot and soupy fragrant dinner. First time making this dal which i bookmarked a while back, not exactly traditional but with the coconut milk, sweet potato, lentils and spinach its a one pot meal. Someone screwed up and the coconut milk isn’t listed in the ingredients so i just added in a can with the water and a whole bag of baby spinach at the end. Lots of fresh cilantro on top of my bowl.
Very fragrant and did a nice job of warming me up, didn’t take very long either.
I had to go to work all day today so i just warmed leftovers which might be even better today

5 Likes

a few from last week …

meat sauce (Emeril’s, basically), pulled from the freezer, served with casarecce pasta;

reverse seared rib eye that i seared too long! wahh… hash browns of potato, celeriak and leeks (meh - i burned them a bit) and roasted asparagus with parm - the winner of the night, by default!

last night’s dinner - star of the week! kimchi fried rice with chinese sausage, homemade kimchi, scallions, cilantro, Maggi seasoning, sesame oil, green cabbage, for extra crunch and sweetness, and a fried egg. so simple, so good. sliced cukes with a little rice vinegar and salt.

8 Likes

Nice kimchi rice. I think the juice of my homemade kimchi will like be used in a fried rice. Once I drank it all (store-bought kimchi) and my guts were gurgling loudly til the next morning.

4 Likes

Sausage & bean casserole. Loosely based on a Nigel Slater recipe from “30 Minute Cook”.

Sausages browned and into a casserole along with a tin of tomatoes, two tins of butter beans, a dollop or two or tomato puree, grain mustard, English mustard & sriracha. A couple of tomatoes, sliced in half sit on the top to look pretty. Goes in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes at 230.

So easy, so nice.

Pineapple & ice cream for afters.

8 Likes

Good! Love it and will try to make it for my lunch next week!
Do you think the beans used in cassoulet will do? Which type of sausages did you used?

Smoked maple syrup glazed duck with roasted Jerusalem artichoke and parsnip in duck fat.
For the duck, marinated with 4 spices, garlic salt. The duck was left drying up in the kitchen for several hours before cooking. Original planning was to cook with the Weber outdoor. Last minute adjustment, in the oven it went, with some hickory chips, everything wrapped up in foil. Applied the maple syrup the last 15 minutes of cooking. Tasted good the meal, smell strong the house all night long!

7 Likes

That duck sounds FANTASTIC. Did the skin get crispy?

We’re having big fat ribeyes tonight, in preparation for tomorrow’s Welcome to Spring Snowpocalypse. Roasted cauliflower with sage and cheddar alongside. I’ve got bread rising for a snow day treat tomorrow so I wanted to keep the carbs to a minimum tonight.

1 Like

So sorry for the loss of your Buster!

1 Like