What's for Dinner #19- 03/2017 daylight savings time means more time to cook

fallen behind again, i see…

@LindaWhit - you know how bad i feel about your poor Buster, and how i’m pulling for him, and you. poor sweet chubby boy. xoxo

@Scubadoo97 - that shrimp looks AMAZING!! the BF is coming around to trying more seafood. may have to try that one… someday. i can’t push him too much!

all out of order, but…
i finally learned how to make buttermilk biscuits!! very, very dangerous. they don’t last 24 hours at our house.
cuban beans and chicken - i didn’t love the black bean recipe i followed - i absolutely love sherry vinegar but i felt it took away from the beaniness in this recipe. i’d make them again, though, and just leave that out. https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/12766-abuelo-pelaezs-frijoles-negros-black-beans

the chicken with the beans was made with a sour orange and garlic mojo.
the other chicken pic was fried buttermilk (i had a lot leftover!) chicken in a sort of korean-ish style - lots of gochugaru, although the heat didn’t transfer very well. also made shirataki noodles with them, but i didn’t love the texture.

pork colorado tacos with Bob’s Red Mill masa harina tortillas - liked this masa harina - nice and corny.

tonight’s Jewish style sweet & sour brisket with dilled buttery egg noodles. the sauce on that brisket was fantastic! i should have let them cook longer as they were a bit tough, but since there was so much leftover, i’m going to cook it all longer now. soooo good.

7 Likes

so jealous of your razor clams! they look wonderful…

1 Like

Lovely the biscuits! I recently made a bunch of salty butter caramel, thinking of it to accompany some waffle. Very dangerous, finished 3/4 by myself in 2 days, with 200g of sugar and 250g of cream. I didn’t even make the waffle yet!

I envy your beans meals, husband doesn’t like beans in general, including chicken pea. He can eat fresh fava beans, that’s about all.

1 Like

Last night, I planned to make a bún chả with pork meat balls. Meat ball was with five spices, fish sauce, shallots, garlic. Pork loin was used and minced with my kitchen aid mincer attachment. Half way through the cooking, I saw some bone mellows sitting in the fridge, I said why not a warm broth instead, we are still kind of cold now! So chopped up the remaining daikon radish, with the mellows, onions and garlic and the pho spices. Here come my Cha with Phô soup. :yum:

The recipe of the meat balls here:

6 Likes

Just in case anyone else finds themselves with a bag of mediocre frozen hamburgers, I am happy to report that they were much improved by a simmer! I sauteed some mushrooms and onions and seared the burgers, deglazed the pan with sherry, then added a bit of tomato paste, beef stock and thyme and let it all simmer about 10 minutes while I was making a salad. Finished with some sour cream and called it Fauxganoff. Tee hee. The burgers basically behaved exactly like a cube steak, and while this meal was not gourmet, it was certainly edible, which is more than I could say for the burgers on their own.

4 Likes

Nice save, @biondanonima.

We are like some kind of “artists”, aren’t we? We always think of ways to turn something into something better. The reward is to eat our creations!

This food today has no looks, kind of like me, but I got to use up a few loose ends. The yellow comes from grated turmeric. Last of the lemongrass, fish sauce and chilli flakes. I made it saucy so it could mix well with the quinoa, which tends to be a bit dry.

7 Likes

Scallops and beet salad

9 Likes

Beautiful plating and perfect sear on the scallops!

(Please take care when using the mandolin, though! I shriek with terror when I must use it.)

1 Like

Gorgeous scallops. I haven’t had any in a while…perhaps I’ll hit restaurant Depot this weekend and pick up a bag!

1 Like

and i envy your seafood-eating hubby!

gorgeous dish! they look soooo delectable…

1 Like

Chicken pot pie , Stouffers lasagna , a bottle of wine to drink .:wine_glass: Cheers . Looks like the next couple weeks will be spent in my hotel room in Mt Shasta . Bringing my little propane stove , bialetti for coffee , pot , pan and some utensils . Not a whole lot of cooking going on . Yippee !!!:cocktail::beer::mountain_snow::fishing_pole_and_fish::joy:

5 Likes

Tonight is ahi. Likely two ways: tartare and quickly seared with a simple soy and ginger butter.

7 Likes

Not really hungry after a crazy day with the power going out for almost 2 hours at work this morning due to the high winds. Since we couldn’t do anything, several of us played UNO, which I hadn’t played in a long time.

But I had to eat, so I made a steak & cheese grilled panino with caramelized onion on Tuscan Pane bread. Sweet potato fries alongside, with a glass of wine.

Buster seems to be hanging on, but is also drinking less and it seems more difficult for him to do so. He is less interested in eating,and moving much more slowly - except when I try to give him his nightly prednisone - then his head can twist around like an owl to avoid the syringe. :-/

I just found out that a coworker had to make the decision to let his cat go on Monday, and I think that decision is very close for me as well.

I’m just trying to get to the weekend - and I hope Buster is, too.

3 Likes

Home late tonight. Salmon from the freezer and salad material from the fridge.

7 Likes

It’s a tough call - trying to sift through what is best for your furbaby and what is your emotion. I’m sorry you are dealing with this. Living with older cats I’m seeing the time is coming…Lots of good thoughts being sent to you and Buster!

5 Likes

No kidding about the mandolin! The guard gizmo that came with mine is impossible to use for about anything- i finally got a fairly cheap cut resistant kitchen glove and now i love and use my mandolin often! A must have i think

5 Likes

I’ve been in denial. I’ve seen the light. The glove is on order

3 Likes

It sounds like you’re having a rough week. Enjoy your time you do have with buster, he will let you know when his time has come as heart wrenching as that is to consider.

2 Likes

Another too long and too crazy day. I had a late afternoon snack of a big apple with almond butter to avoid a sad desk dinner and ended up stopping for dinner help from the middle eastern bodega near me.
I got a little container of the hummus they make fresh daily and some pita, supplemented at home with sliced cucumbers, olives, and bell pepper and scooped up the hummus.

I also picked up this can of foul but was disappointed that the skins on the beans inside were really thick and tough so i took two bites and that was too much. Oh well, was maybe $1.50. I also found the baba ganoush in a can! They make and sell it fresh so i passed on the can.

However i did go home with this box of date cookies :blush: i bought them there once before and they’re really tasty with a semi savory outer cookie layer and sweet date paste middle. I’ll have one for dessert with tea late tonight.

5 Likes