What's For Dinner #105 - the Start Your Gardens! Edition - April 2024

4 Likes

Looked rustic but yummy! Wished I could be there!

Did Mr Nonchalant get some tuna? :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

He deigned to accept some, decided it was not to his taste and stalked off. He prefers canned, I guess.

6 Likes

:rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Oh, my. That’s a beautiful plate of food :heart_eyes:

1 Like

It’s a musician’s life hahaha. I def can’t party like I used to, but I make a concerted effort :wink:

1 Like

last night at my sister’s, another go at the Nobu miso-marinated black cod. I just happened to run into the cod in the a.m., so i still didn’t get to do the 3-day marinade - it sat for about 5-6 hours. AND i forgot to salt the fish first - curses! - so it really didn’t have as much flavor as I would have liked. But, the char turned out great (pan seared, then into the oven), and it was buttery, flaky, and still generally wonderful. Especially over A-sha noodles that I doctored up with a sesame/garlic/scallion/ginger/hot oil sauce, and a bit of oyster sauce bok choy.

23 Likes

We left town late since I was draggingggg (took me half an hour to pack for 2 overnights :crazy_face:), and got into the hotel just about half an hour before we were meeting friends at a cute bar that specializes in Negronis and tinned fish. I had a white Negroni (too sweet), then moved to martinis with their well gin, Askur. We split a basket of house-made foccacia and very good habanero smoked oysters.

9F347EA0-8F82-4022-9562-AFBE73505633_4_5005_c

Pardon the terribly… romantic lighting.

That’s a lot of Tinas in the bathroom :slight_smile:

We then mozied over to the new brick & mortar venue of Fet Fisk, formerly just a pop-up & therefore hugely popular aka almost impossible to get in… thus the late dinner rez at 9:30pm! The menu has a lot of small plates as well as a few large ones, and between the five of us we shared a dozen oysters with a lovely tarragon mignonette,

C4718EAA-F8C2-4309-A289-515C80FE0544_4_5005_c

scallop crudo with grapefruit,

6356C816-07F7-411F-B9DD-974B4035232D_4_5005_c

fantastic sturgeon paté,

1FA40E77-55F2-4058-8578-2DB78DBAE03B_4_5005_c

an amazing pea & sunflower shoots salad with citronnette & parm,

45728BEA-40E1-4D2C-9D55-DC3882C22447_4_5005_c

very good grilled cabbage Caesar that didn’t skimp on the fishies,

1808B142-9DA8-43E6-B932-150E334974AB_4_5005_c

marinated mushrooms with horseradish (which gave them a nice kick),

7AAF53F1-C6C1-4CDD-9969-1BA547F2764A_4_5005_c

rye cavatelli with hedgehog mushrooms, apple, truffle, and grana Padano (incredible),

A1998FE2-9E06-4FCE-82C9-61C12886ADD8_4_5005_c

steelhead trout filet with smoked almond sauce (I wish the skin had been crispier) and lots of capers,

B66A6351-FB0B-4959-A853-B6B47718E1A9_4_5005_c

and “Jansson’s Temptation” – a potato & anchovy gratin.

A5ECDA06-E472-4BA2-9DA0-4907EF7AFB3E_4_5005_c

Their house martini is filthy and delicious, made with Askur gin.

6E16CA5B-9B7A-4795-B503-5EEB67953E08_4_5005_c

We also split two bottles of a crisp Puglian Malvasia.

Desserts were a stupid caraway cake (hate it) and a rice pudding with berries (also usually not my cuppa, but this was very nice), digestifs a variety of delectable amaros.

85C974D3-EBEE-447C-90A1-70639B2F0639_4_5005_c

We are currently debating our lunch options, and a place nearby serving Turkish breakfast may just be the ticket.

Let the eatings continue! :partying_face: :blush: :yum:

15 Likes

Wow, now SF got cod running the streets! Where will it end? :laughing:

2 Likes

Gorgeous char!

2 Likes

In case anyone missed the current cook-along threads, here they are.

We also have a new “Cooking From” category for cookbooks and authors who may not fit into other places but there’s enough interest to consolidate (if you have ideas for this, please message me).

4 Likes

I really enjoyed your YouTube video. Reminds me of Lake Street Dive. That’s my kind of music, I grew up with jazz and played the saxophone for a long time until I realized women weren’t going to make a living at it back when I was blowing that horn…so I trained to be an audiologist.

3 Likes

well isn’t that just like a cat…

4 Likes

Wow, that’s a huge compliment! I saw them before they got big at a small music cafe near my hometown back in … 2012? 2013? Def before the Colbert bump :wink: I told them they should get to Berlin if they ever tour Yurp. I believe they’ve 'gotten there a few times meanwhile :smiley:

And sax! I’m impressed. Singing is just one of many hats I wear / passions / pathetic sources of income, but the one I enjoy perhaps the most (and make the least $$$ :crazy_face:).

3 Likes

i love him!

I can’t sing worth sh!t and never enjoyed trying or being forced to do it. So not my gig. I learned how to lip-synch in church choir. I identified as alto.

2 Likes

For an early dinner tonight before meeting a friend out for drinks later was a dish I’ve had on my to-make list for years and finally got around to – DaPanJi / Big Tray Chicken.

Used the NYT recipe as a roadmap, but one cannot trust any recipe that does not insist that readers who have not had the pleasure of eating the original dish make sure they have noodles to sop up the insanely delicious sauce. (In fact, it says something as dumb as “Spice Village gives you the option of including hand-pulled ones, which is a fun kind of overkill, but I preferred rice.” Umm NO. Stop it, Mark Bittman. Stop making me question every other recipe of yours I have ever used. Also, he forgot the ginger in the recipe, so :roll_eyes:.)

Anyhoo. My “responsible” self didn’t allow me to buy the fresh noodles for this in Chinatown a few days ago because “I have too many noodles”. So I used dry knife-cut noodles instead, which did an admirable job of standing in. (But DUH to me on not buying the actual noodles for the dish when I was planning to make it.)

Let’s talk about the potatoes. Oh my these potatoes. They sop up and concentrate all the myriad flavors that make this dish so good.

It is so gratifying when something turns out close to the flavor of the real thing with the application of a scant few ingredients.

For the leftovers, I’m going to heat up some parathas to stand in for the flaky pancake that most places that offer this dish also have on the menu to sop up the sauce.

23 Likes

That looks fantastic!

3 Likes

Try it, I think you’d enjoy it.
(If you plan to lmk and I’ll gladly send you my simplifications.)

1 Like