COOKING FROM – ROSE LEVY BERENBAUM (RLB) Books & Recipes

Welcome to the COOKING (BAKING) FROM RLB thread!

Please use this thread to report what you make (or have enjoyed making) from her recipes.

Let’s try and follow the recipe format on other reporting threads to make this useful as a future resource:

Please use ALL CAPS for the recipe name, note the name of the book or other source of the recipe, and add a recipe link if you can find one.

If someone else reported on the recipe before you, please REPLY to that post rather than start a new one (so all posts for a given recipe are linked together and can be followed easily via the helpful linking arrows the site software enables).

Pictures are always fun, though not required.

Happy cooking / baking – and sharing!

(There is a Master List of Cooking From threads here for future reference.)

2 Likes

WHITE CHOCOLATE NOSTALGIA CAKE

“Chocolatier” magazine, July 1988

Mine is crude compared to the perfection and precision of RLB’s. A 4-layer white chocolate cake with raspberry buttercream between the layers, it was covered with rolled fondant icing, and decorated with royal icing and gum paste flowers.

I made this in 1992 for a 70th birthday.

10 Likes

I like RLB’s scientific explanation of processes, and her use of weight measurements (so much faster and accurate). She uses precision scales made by the same company (Metzler) that made the ones I used in physics labs. She would have made a fine engineer! Sorry if I’m gushing!

1 Like

As I recall, before she got into baking she had a scientific career, which influenced her approach.

1 Like

I think this is lovely. Would be thrilled to have a cake look this good.

Thank you.

GOLDEN GRAND MARNIER CAKE

From “The Cake Bible”

I’ve made this cake a large number of times, even (like RLB) putting in extra Grand Marnier and shipping them to Germany, California, and Vancouver. I hand-carried one across the border, to the amusement of a U.S. Customs officer.

It’s a super-moist sour cream cake with chopped chocolate pieces in it.

Pictures below are of the cake, a slice, with a ganache glaze, and in cakelette form.

IMG_0089
IMG_0107

7 Likes

CHOCOLATE OBLIVION TRUFFLE TORTE

From “The Cake Bible”.

This cake has just three ingredients: chocolate, butter, and eggs. To intensify the chocolate taste, RLB recommends the addition of reduced raspberry purée, going so far as to state that the reduction should be done by use of a microwave oven, and not on a stovetop, to avoid a caramelized taste.

This is a very intensely chocolate cake (“oblivion” is right) that can only be eaten in very small slices. I’ve used it under rolled fondant for a number of special occasion cakes.

It’s unfortunate that I don’t have a picture of a cut cake; the cake is in stark contrast to the fondant. Below is a picture of a complete cake (in which I used the oblivion torte) inspired by RLB’s Art Deco cake from TCB, in that the layers are offset, and in the use of dots.

7 Likes

GÉNOISE CLASSIQUE

From “The Cake Bible”

I’ve seen numerous recipes where melted butter, added at the end is poured into cake batter, and you then have to fold the two together, which is difficult, considering the difference in textures, and you lose volume in doing so.

Not so with RLB. In her génoise recipe you are instructed to take a small amount of batter and whisk it into the butter. This brings the two closer together in texture, and it is then easier to fold them together.

4 Likes