SAVORY EGG DISHES - Spring 2024 (Apr-Jun) Dish of the Quarter

All you chawanmushi fans finally got your wish - SAVORY EGG DISHES came out on top this quarter. Interestingly enough, we did deviled eggs this quarter last year - clearly spring brings eggs to the top of everyone’s mind! Looking forward seeing your eggy creations.

7 Likes

A family favorite for “what’s to eat when there’s nothing to eat” is creamed eggs over potatoes. Crushed boiled potato, chopped white onion, napped with chopped hard boiled eggs added to bechamel sauce.

2 Likes

My mother used to make creamed eggs on toast (same sauce you describe, just served over torn up white toast) all the time when I was a kid and I LOVE it. I’ll bet it’s terrific on potatoes too. Something about the way the egg yolks blend in to the bechamel is magical!

I will be PERFECTING my chawanmushi.

2 Likes

I add chopped hard boiled eggs to the béchamel when I make creamed tuna along with petite frozen peas. Always served on toast, though.

Heck I think this is way too broad, but if it’s the only way I can get Chinese egg custards and chawanmushi in, so be it :grin:

@small_h I think my egg custard to beat might be Fung Tu’s version (which I don’t know if you encountered because it had pork crumbles on top — but maybe they had a veg version?)

For chawanmushi, it’s Bouley’s sublime truffled teacup, though I think that was french-ified with cream (like Foxface’s, for which they attributed inspiration to Bouley)

I never went there - too few dishes I could eat. I think my chawanmushi gold standard is Yopparai.

I have a little leftover asparagus. It clearly belongs in a frittata. If I did not already eat so many eggs, a fried egg on a cheeseburger sounds awfully good, even at 8 a.m. Lastly, I have been thinking of a cheese soufflé for several days. I butter a Charlotte mold and shake finely grated Parmigiana all around to coat the walls. A hearty squirt of Sriracha goes in the Mornay. I am hard pressed to think of a savory egg dish that would not be delicious. I was going to make eggs a la Moonstruck (toad in the hole, egg version, not sausage) for breakfast but am now thinking of Shakshuka.

3 Likes

Same, and it also raises the question of which egg dishes AREN’T savory. Flan and… that’s all I got.

Custard, ice cream, zabaglione, Bavarian cream… bummer we didn’t choose sweet egg dishes :wink:

2 Likes

Ice cream is not an egg dish. Unless you’re just counting everything with an egg in it. And flan is a custard.

Yeah.

Sweet and savory custards might have been more of a “dish”.

But having nominated chawanmushi for years now, I’ll take it.

1 Like

You can certainly make ice cream without eggs, but it won’t be as luscious. I was just spitballing sweet egg dishes.

Anyway, won’t all savory egg dishes include ALL savory dishes made with egg*? Trying to understand the distinction here.

Scrambled, fried, frittata, omelets, Strammer Max, eggs Benny, shakshuka, toad in a hole etc. etc. - aren’t those all dishes that would qualify for the DOTQ?

1 Like

Yes! I would like an omelette with strawberry jam, please.

1 Like

Think I’ll attempt a souffle again one of these days.

Re asparagus, have you made a sformato?

Not been. Might have to go just for the chawanmushi.

One of my dad’s childhood comfort dishes was boiled eggs and boiled potatoes mashed well together, seasoned with S&P and plenty of butter (which melted in because ideally one of the egg or the potato was slightly warm from boiling).

Eaten with buttered toast. So good.

1 Like

It’s a really nice place to eat on every level.

1 Like

Hence my and @Saregama’s concern that the category is too broad.

And that’s why SALADS would’ve obviously been the better choice.