TURKISH - Spring 2024 (Apr-Jun) Cuisine of the Quarter

And the results are in! TURKISH was our winner by a mile this quarter. Thanks for voting - looking forward to learning about all things Turkish with you this quarter!

4 Likes

Turkish Sehiryeli Pilav. Toasted orzo cooked with rice. I’ll often add something green (parsley, scallion tops, etc.).

Similar to Rice-A-Roni. :smiley_cat:

6 Likes

One of my favorite things to order at a turkish restaurant is Chicken Adana kabab.

But I’ve never been able to make a version I liked as much as the restaurant ones. I even bought wide, flat skewers during the pandemic :woman_facepalming:t2:

Anyone have a recipe they like?

Chicken, not beef or lamb — for some reason I think the other flavors come through much better with chicken here, even though I otherwise love lamb and beef kababs.

1 Like

That’s because true Adana kebab is made with lamb from a male lamb no older than a year, including the tail fat. If you can’t get the lamb tail fat it will never taste like what you get in a restaurant.

I’ve never even heard of a chicken variety, nor seen one in any of the Turkish restaurants I’ve been to.

Penzeys Turkish Seasoning: salt, garlic, cumin, Tellicherry black pepper, Turkish oregano, sweet paprika, sumac, cayenne red pepper and cilantro.

4 Likes

I love it. I use it to amp up my yoğurtlu patlican salatası.

2 Likes

I’m going to link to our Turkish recipes thread. It’s a good one.

I like this Lazy Man’s Manti pasta recipe. Because I’m too lazy to make Manti.

When I want to make lazy manti I purchase them frozen at the Turkish store down the road, add a little romesco sauce from TJ’s, and a dollop of Greek yogurt :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes, I like lazy take-out Manti, already sauced by the restaurant, too!

I haven’t found a good source for frozen Manti yet. I haven’t explored Toronto’s Turkish stores much yet. Many have opened recently.

Manti and pelmeni are pretty similar if you don’t have a meat restriction, so if there’s an eastern european market near you that sells the tiny pelmeni and you dressed them with the manti sauces, it might be a step closer than farfalle :grin:

2 Likes

Yes, I am a fan of frozen pelmeni, and really, any pelmeni, but I dress those with butter, sour cream, a splash of vinegar and fresh dill :rofl: I could dress them like Manti, but I like sour cream a little more than yogurt.

I really liked the pelmeni at a fancy Turkish Brunch at Antique Garage in Tribeca when my cousin treated in Dec 2018. There was also a location in Soho. They have jazz sometimes but I don’t remember it. I wish I’d posted the photo on HO.

The seasoning in the pasta recipe to which I linked, was good! I didn’t use farfalle. Smaller pasta goes over better at our house, so I usually use orzo, spaetzle or other small cut pasta regardless of what the recipe calls for. :rofl:

There is another recipe called Lazy Manti which is one bigger rolled Manti. I am trying to find it. I will quote this paragraph and post it when I find it .

And another cheater recipe using gyoza wrappers:

Being the Manti obsesscionado that I am, I also order Manti at Central Asian restaurants. Those Manti are often a little larger than a kiwi fruit.

Veggie Manti

4 Likes

I ordered a pogaca / Turkish cheese bun today, from Pera Café in Kensington Market in Toronto.

I might try making them at some point.

2 Likes

I made both of these in Jan.2020. The tulip shaped meat pogasca were from a no longer available Fine Cooking site.
The flower shaped ones were filled with cheese…I think!

6 Likes

Beautiful!

1 Like

Thank you, as I recall, we enjoyed them. The meat filled ones were a little less labor intensive, but I’m happy that I made the double twist flower ones…once!

2 Likes

I have had boat- shaped, cheese-filled Peinerli, which is popular with Black Sea Greeks who left Turkey. I’m guessing Turks make it, too. It looks like the boat -shaped Khachapuri.

Khachapuri has been on my todo list but I have yet to get around to it, looks luscious.

1 Like

Since I mentioned it, here’s the boat-shaped Peinerli https://vidarbergum.com/recipe/turkish-cheese-pide-with-egg-peynirli-yumurtali-pide/

3 Likes

Mouthwatering delicious looking! Ty, I’ll put this in my notes.

1 Like

I’m enough of a dish origin geek that I will add this thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sakartvelo/comments/gu1uge/adjarian_khachapuri_origins_is_it_georgian_or/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb3x&utm_name=mweb3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

1 Like