What's For Dinner #105 - the Start Your Gardens! Edition - April 2024

Dinner as it turned out was a late lunch at a Teochow restaurant with fellow Onions.

My favorites were braised duck and curry beef noodle soup with fresh flat rice noodles, with runners up of fish noodles and lemongrass pork chop.

The whole meal is posted here:

16 Likes

Dinner tonight was a very successful wine and cheese! I went to my local film society’s AGM tonight proceeded by a wine and cheese then a movie. I had only gone to their AGM oce before about 30 years ago not long after I joined. The volunteer who used to organize the wine and cheese part used to put out quite a spread but she had just retired from volunteering so it was up to the remaining board members to assemble platters of cheese, dips etc. The year I went to the AGM the board members had underestimated the amount of food needed so they didn’t have enough food for everyone. This year they had plenty out and a nice selection of cheeses, patės and a highly addictive artichoke spread.

8 Likes

I learn so much here!

1 Like

Not at all. I appreciate the tip, as I said.

1 Like

Gig went really well :partying_face:, my sax/clarinet was on a roll, and that drummer is just a dream. Shame he’s leaving town :frowning:

Because 3 martinis were DEF not enough, I invited some of my gal pals over for a nightcap and FOOD, since a few of them hadn’t eaten - did I mention the place is pricy?

My PIC manned the air fryer and served up TJ’s pickle pups (meh) & jalapeño cheese wontons (YEA). I probz had one of each, bc my friends are savages. They destroyed two bags of tortilla chips, too :joy:

Not feeling all too shiny ATM :woozy_face:, but will hopefully perk up as we’re heading to PGH later - we have tix for the brilliant Jimmy Carr tomorrow, and we’re meeting up with friends for a late dinner at this fantastic sounding place. Drinks beforehand. Oy.

11 Likes

Me too!

It was the opposite end of the fanciness spectrum from @klyeoh’s high end Teochow meal a few days ago.

2 Likes

Tagliatelle with shiitakes and sugar snap peas in a very lemony garlic cream sauce. One of my better improvisations not least because the veggies were so very good.

18 Likes

Picked up more dry salami nuggets at World Market yesterday (and turns out I can get them for a dollar more at my local Hannaford after doing a search). And they freeze well, since I never use the full package at one time.

Had some medium shells and broccoli to use up, so sautéed quartered salami slices (about 1/3 of the package) with some broccoli florets.

The sauce was a small carton of Pomi crushed tomatoes with chili pepper, adding a sploosh of red wine, a handful of grated Parm-Reg, and some dried Italian herbs.

The pasta, salami and broccoli went into a small baking dish, topped with sauce, sprinkled with a bit of grated mozzarella and some more Parm-Reg, and a smidge of garlic-herb Panko crumbs.

Baked at 350° for 25 minutes. Salad and wine on the side.

20 Likes

Another spring green-dinner. Roasted asparagus quiche with herbs and allium: tarragon, chive, parsley, and scallion (white parts caramelized). Gruyere and parm for the cheese. A mash-up for the dairy: sour cream, cream cheese, cream, and milk. Store-bought crust. Served with salad greens in vinaigrette.

18 Likes

Take-out vegetarian Pad See Ew from NaNa in Toronto, a Thai resto owned by former Chowhound Monte. My craving was clearly influenced by @saregama and @Sasha .

12 Likes

I made pad krapow gai with a couple of chicken thighs and lots of extra veggies – zucchini, sugar snap peas, and peppers. Served over brown jasmine rice.

Turned out pretty well! I made the sauce with fish sauce, soy sauce, Golden Mountain sauce, coconut sugar, broth, and black pepper. Garlic and shallots as the alliums.

16 Likes

I made birria tacos with some of the leftover Mississippi pot roast. I simmered the beef in a guajillo, pasilla chile simmer sauce I found in the freezer that I thinned with beef broth. I dipped the tortillas in the sauce and fried in cast iron. Served with onion and cilantro, cotija cheese, side of avocado and radishes. Margaritas. Gol dang it the tacos were good, I’ll be making them again.

20 Likes

We enjoyed a fabulous dinner at Cafe Panache in Ramsey, NJ, including butter poached lobster; seafood pasta with lobster, shrimp, crab, and mussels, in a creamy white sauce; octopus with eggplant caponata; asparagus salad; delicious Jersey corn and crab bisque. For dessert we enjoyed our favorite coconut cake. It all went great with a couple of excellent cabernets.

11 Likes

Frozen from last year?

1 Like

Just nonchalantly hanging out, not even making eye contact, as if there wasn’t a big ol’ tuna collar over there, and did he mention he likes tuna? He likes tuna.

21 Likes

I was a little skeptical myself, since it is a bit early for fresh corn, but that was the description on the menu. Either way it was delicious, and paired beautifully with the crab meat.

It is way more than a bit early. Corn season doesn’t start 'til July. I’m sure the corn was good, but it was 100% not fresh local corn.

2 Likes

Probably a menu description recycled from high summer and not updated.

2 Likes

Ah, very possible.

I used to be young and party. I ride the wayback machine when I read your posts - things that would kill me now…

3 Likes