What's for breakfast (aka what's going to happen exciting today)?

The original recipe calls for a cream cheese dough. I make a short cut most times with purchased pie crust rounds.
For 9- 3" hand pies ( they fit in my hand, not big honkin’ pasty sized) you’ ll need:
• 1 pie crust round
• about 3/4 cup of finely chopped 'rooms ( I use a mix of cremini and hydrate some varieties from my
dried mushroom collection) sautéed with a bit of yellow or white onion in a bit of butter.
• a dash of dried thyme added into the mushroom mix
• a. small spoon of ap flour mixed into the mushroom, onion, thyme mix.
• abput 1/3 small brie round, cut into small dice or sliced into 9 strips
• 1 egg, beaten well to use for sealing and egg wash

Cut out 3" circles from pie dough. Re-roll scraps if necessary to make 9 circles. Place a small amount ( I divide the mixture for the amount of circles) of mushroom mixture onto each circle, top with a small amount of the brie or a strip. Fold each round carefully in half over the mixture, then crimp and seal edges using some of the egg wash. The dough can be stretched a bit to accompany extra filling. Brush each top with the remaining egg wash. Poke one or two holes in the top with a skewer or the tip of a sharp knife. These hand pies will be the size of a potsticker.
Bake on a lined baking sheet at 425° for about ten minutes on the middle rack, rotating once until a gorgeous golden brown color. Cool briefly and serve warm, asap.
I’ve made this recipe many ways, including making larger ‘hand pies’ with sliced mushrooms and more brie, but not as large as a typical Cornish pasty. I have also made great quantities for parties. I’ve made them with phyllo dough, too. Enjoy, they are a wonderful as an appetizer, too.

4 Likes

Thank you! Sounds delicious!

Duck egg season! Along side: some of last season’s garden potatoes crisped up in duck fat.

8 Likes

Grilled gruyere with plum jam

5 Likes

8 Likes

“the London clerk of markets issued a decree forbidding the sale of spiced buns at any time other than funerals, Christmas and Good Friday/Easter.”

That’s bananas!

1 Like

Salty Soy Milk. YouTiao. Egg, Green Onion. Leek stuffed Pancake.

Leisurely stroll back to our hotel to catch the end of the breakfast buffet. A cup of coffee, some juice, mini pastry, maybe a bit of fruit.

Yeah….rrright. Best laid plans and intentions……

We skipped lunch. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Google Photos

Smoked trout toast (canned fish) w/mayo & capers. Bowl of plain yogurt, thinned a little with water, plus banana chips and dried cherries and raisin bran. Coffee.

6 Likes

Today’s breakfast was home-smoked trout and cream cheese on yesterday’s bake of carroway rye.

14 Likes

Gorgeous! (hold the caraway, tho). Makes my scrambles with the last of the honey-baked ham fried up feel rather pedestrian :smiley:

I’ll bet yours was awfully good!

1 Like

I reallllllly want that smoked trout tho :pleading_face:

1 Like

My husband makes it. I consider myself lucky. :four_leaf_clover:

3 Likes

Bacon, egg and cheddar on rye.

12 Likes

Cream of crab soup.

Delicious.

4 Likes

Cajun shrimp, roasted pork, and brisket tinga tacos.

8 Likes

9 Likes

Breakfast tacos!
Purple potato, green chorizo, and eggs (and cheese) - Write up is over in the DOTQ Taco thread.

9 Likes

12 Likes

Living large in Central Park, Kaohsiung.

8 Likes