What's for breakfast (aka what's going to happen exciting today)?

Oven running hot? That one looks a LOT more “crisped” than typical.

caramelized brown sugar

Recipe, please?

I did try self-help a.k.a. Google, but nothing looks close to that.

I so rarely eat breakfast but you guys are showing me the error of my ways…

2 Likes

I don’t really have recipes.

But it’s basically your standard Dutch apple pancake using cast iron skillet (apply layer, batter, spices, sugar, butter), baked in oven at around 450F for about 20-25 minutes, but right before it’s done pull it out and pour some caramelized apple sauce over it, then put it back in under the broiler for about 1-2 minutes.

Caramelized apple sauce basically is melted butter, apple slices, brown sugar, cinnamon, simmer for about 5-6 minutes, then bring to boil to thicken to desired consistency.

2 Likes

Leftover Tsukune meatballs with Shin Black ramen, doctored up with aromatics and a lone hard-boiled egg.

7 Likes

CCE - here’s my version of baked apple pancake. Most often I’ll make a 1/2 or 1/3 recipe in a 9-inch pie plate as breakfast for two.

Baked pancake with apple

6 eggs
1 1/4 c milk
1 c flour
3 T sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c butter
2 apples, peeled and thinly sliced
3 T brown sugar

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Position oven rack in middle (this dish rises 4 - 6 inches above top of pan). Peel and slice apples. Melt butter in a 12 inch quiche pan or a 9 inch x 13 inch baking dish in the oven. Arrange apple slices in pan and return to oven until butter sizzles (about 5 minutes). Do not let butter brown. While butter & apples are in oven, in a blender (or a bowl and use a whisk), mix eggs, flour, sugar, vanilla, salt and cinnamon until blended. Remove dish from oven and immediately pour batter over apples. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake in middle of oven approximately 20 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Serve immediately.

4 Likes

Google Photos

Google Photos

Huevos Picados con vegetales y refritos. Platano maduro a la paradilla with cinnamon and Crema Salvadorena.

Salvadoran style scrambled eggs (literally ‘chopped’) w/tomatoes, onions and bell peppers - no hot peppers.

9 Likes

Many Thanks!

1 Like

Leftover chive crepes from the freezer, filled with a little ham and havarti, sliced deli thin. Heated on a cast iron pan until warm and melty. Homemade apple jelly on top.

So good!

9 Likes

It’s amazing how comforting the combination of flour, eggs and sugar can be.

2 Likes

Speaking of flour, eggs and sugar…

Lemon waffles this morning! It was my first time using a waffle maker in at least a decade and I really like this one. The waffles were lovely and fluffy. I topped them with homemade lemon curd and squirty cream.

13 Likes

Purty and I guess tasty, too!

2 Likes

Very! Thank you :slight_smile:

Breakfast pizza for Pi day. A commercial frozen thin-crust veggie pizza with my additions of cooked scrambled eggs, bacon and diced deli ham before baking.

9 Likes

4 Likes

Pi Day for brunch and dinner. Spinach and mushroom quiche for brunch and mushroom and brie hand pies to go with the Great Northern Bean soup for dinner. No sweet pie for dessert.

6 Likes

Any links or tips for the mushroom and brie hand pies? They sound terrific!

5 Likes