What's for breakfast (aka what's going to happen exciting today)?

6 Likes

Incredible pastry from Librae (NYC.) The rose-pistachio croissant in particular kinda blew my mind.

9 Likes

Cloud egg. Adventures in fussyfood!

9 Likes

Cheesy scrambled eggs with Aidell’s chicken apple sausage. Maple syrup on the side for the sausage.

12 Likes

I got up early to go to an event this morning; it was a prop-and-bake sale held by a handful of food stylists and recipe developers at their studio. I was lured by the promise of interesting dish and kitchenware, plus some excellent baked goods. Basically an event tailor made for my interests. I was stoked.

Despite arriving 15 minutes before doors opened, I was at least the 50th person in line and it was pouring rain.

Once doors did open, only a few people could go in a time. I gave up and returned to the subway.

Feeling sorry for myself, I got out of the subway at my stop (still raining!) and encountered someone selling tamales out of the back of a hatchback. This is a new development in my nabe, but it’s standard in many Brooklyn neighborhoods. I bellied right up and bought three different varieties at $3/each. Best decision I’ve made in a while.

13 Likes

Victory snatched from the jaws of defeat!

5 Likes
2 Likes

Pulled the second loaf of caraway rye from the freezer. Behold, the tuna melt.

20 Likes

In celebration of April Fool’s Day, I indulged in pancakes.

5 Likes

That certainly is an upsetting number of pancakes. Half a star. (h/t Andy Daly, “Review” S1, E3)

1 Like

Baked eggs with Gruyere and ham (and scallions and thyme) on English muffins

12 Likes

A quail egg breakfast bun at my favourite Scandinavian-inspired café in Toronto, Fika.

7 Likes

Brava!

1 Like

Thank you!

This was breakfast today.

3 Likes

Mini quiche – a happy accident since the extra pecan tassie filling I froze in December turned out to only be enough for half a recipe of crust. Quiche used crumbled bacon, shredded cheddar and an egg beaten with milk and some minced onion. Baked yesterday and will be reheated the next several mornings for breakfasts.

12 Likes

Kitchen-sink zucchini frittata, using up leftover bits and bobs from recent pizza and calzone dinners:

Garlic-oregano bechamel (pizza sauce).
Sauteed spinach (calzone filling).
Onion in tomato sauce (marinara ala Marcella Hazan - but never discard those onions!)

Served with a sliver of leftover calzone, and the marinara sauce.

10 Likes

The leftover half of a shitty Reuben I got for free last night at a joint my band played. Soaked up the gin, tho :wink:

1 Like

Yessssss!!!

Interesting - so you mixed it in with the eggs? Frittata looks delicious!

1 Like

I’ve had quiche on mind, and those minis look delectable!

1 Like