What's for breakfast (aka what's going to happen exciting today)?

Thank you! I have a 13" x 4"x 4" pullman pan which ought to be close.

2 Likes

Squash, potato, shallot, and chorizo hash. Eggs to order. Sourdough French bread for toast. Choice of homemade jams: lemon, pumpkin, blackberry and raspberry.

12 Likes

Did you make the pumpkin jam? I’ve never heard of such a thing, and would be interested in giving it a try if you have a good recipe to share/recommend.

Yes. Fellow HO community member @maccrogenoff introduced me to this recipe.

I’ve made it both with Illinois Crookneck squash and Small Sugar pumpkin. Both were good, but the sweeter pumpkin came out superior, IMO. Both times I’ve made it I’ve made a note not to be shy with the lemon and orange juices - a little extra dash of each doesn’t hurt. Don’t skip the vanilla if you have the bean.

5 Likes

Baked oatmeal with blueberries. Deets on the baking thread.

7 Likes

I’ve always had success with Lebovitz’s recipes, so I’m looking forward to trying this one - thank you!

2 Likes

More yeasted brown butter waffles! This one is topped with honey, homemade grapefruit curd, banana and icing sugar. Apparently banana and grapefruit is a delicious combination.

7 Likes

Brie/wineberry jam
Extra sharp cheddar/apple butter

On sourdough toast

11 Likes

Any breakfast served in bed is exciting. This is Fage 2%, mango pulp, blueberries, walnuts.

7 Likes

Joe’s Special Scramble. An old favorite, but a recipe from Saveur improved my technique.

Here made with Italian sausage, fresh spinach, and garden shallots. The last of the Italian loaf for toast.

11 Likes

It is better with any sausage…it amplifies the flavor of the spinach.

3 Likes

When in Rome…….er, Japan. Egg sunny side up, different presentation. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

7:22am

8:36am

10:30’ish

10 Likes

tenor-44089880

2 Likes

Who’s awesome??

DA WIFE!!!

Me? I’m just the enabler. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:heart:
I’ve been combining melted cheddar or gruyere with maple syrup or plum jam on toast lately.

1 Like

You’re inspiring me to go get a Japanese breakfast to-go from a Japanese brunch spot this morning. It isn’t quite the same, but it might do the trick.

I’m really really glad I was able to visit Japan in 2020.
My regret is that I only had one traditional Japanese breakfast on the trip. My first week was at a ski resort that had a buffet breakfast, which had a couple Japanese items that I tried. My other days, I was at a big hotel in Shinjuku, that didn’t include breakfast, and I grabbed a bite on the go.

My traditional breakfast was included at my hotel in Kyoto. I was the only person in the room at the time, and in retrospect, it was quite a surreal experience.

8 Likes

I normally abstain from hotel breakfasts, even included in the fare. But. Asian breakfast buffets are worth staying in-house!! Sometimes.

5 Likes

Hotel breakfasts are fantastic at some 4 star hotels in Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Italy and Greece. Some of my favourite travel memories. I also love the hotel breakfasts in Ireland and the UK.

I mostly do breakfast at the hotel when I stay at small independent hotels.

I think hotel breakfasts could have their own thread. I can’t travel these days, so I won’t start the thread!

I have one photo my first of 6 hotel buffet breakfasts at a 3 star hotel in Hakuba in January 2020. [Hakuba, Japan] lunch and dinner - #2 by Phoenikia

5 Likes

I LOVE the Boss CafeAu Lait!!! Now 140¥ from vending machine. 132¥ from a 7/11 today. Nice pick me up on our walks.

4 Likes