What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

This looks delicious! Good job !

1 Like

Grabbed my veal chop from them yesterday, haven’t tried their steaks or pork yet. Have you tried the Berkshire from Shop Rite, I’ve been very happy with their meat dept.

1 Like

Nice platter and I agree it was a great day to grill. I finally grilled whole fish. Stopped by Shoprite and they cleaned up a Branzino and Snapper for grilling. Stuffed one with Rosemary and the other with parsley and lemon. Nice item to add to the repertoire.
This was first course, followed by grilled bone-in NY Strip with farmstand Long Hots.
Good eating day.

14 Likes

Shop-Rite is too big. I get lost in there.

Little amatriciana today. Saw someone making it on Instagram and here we are

12 Likes

A rare breakfast today: pumpkin pancakes with pumpkin cream cheese and pecans.

Last night was our Oktoberfest: Chicken Schnitzel, mushroom gravy, German potato salad, and asparagus.

13 Likes

Chupe de Camarones for a brisk day.

Asked GF to send me a link from YouTube but got this instead. Happens sometimes…

Freír cebolla roja picada con tomate, agregar ajo y ají amarillo, luego se coloca el huacatay y el caldo de pescado :tropical_fish: luego colar las zanahorias, el choclo la papa amarilla, luego de 5 minutos colocar el arroz y esperar que todo se cocine. Una vez se cocine todo colocar los camarones luego de tres minutos colocar los huevos, y el queso al final se le pone la leche que de un hervor y al final se le pone un poquito de orégano

7 Likes

Such a delicious dish.

4 Likes

I tried making Scarpariello recently and realized I need to up my game there. Wasn’t even worth a photo.
I can’t even remember where I first learned of this dish but the one I had included whole cloves of garlic, crispy potatoes, chicken on bone, well browned sausage and a lighter quantity of sauce.
The recipe I followed online gave me a good reference for flavors but had way too many pieces of vegetables. Think I may use the ingredients then strain for more of a sauce like yours.

1 Like

Frankenloaf. Mummy Meatloaf.

10 Likes

That looks monsterously delish :ghost:

2 Likes

5 days without a post in NJ? Did I miss a memo? Perhaps this culinary delight will draw some people out

9 Likes

Used to eat those quite often growing up, along with pickled pig lips.
My new years day meal always includes cabbage and pig tails.

2 Likes

Cross posted for my NJ peeps!

6 Likes

Hey, congrats on the big news, what a great time in their lives.
Plus you hit the trifecta; big exciting family news, a giants likely win, and filet mignon. Superfecta if you throw in the weather.

2 Likes

Mazel Tov!

2 Likes

Congrats :champagne:
That’s an impressive wine and champagne bar!

2 Likes

Lovely Peruvian dish !

Our Chef friend is in the process of starting a home delivery service of comfort foods and provided us with some delicious samples. Below is a link to the details and pictures in the main WFD thread.

3 Likes

It’s official - I am a jerk … aficionado! OK, maybe I can be a bit of jerk now and then too, but let he who is without jerkiness throw the first stone. This salt-free mix from Penzey’s has converted me:

Although I’ve always enjoyed jerk chicken, I never really wanted to try to make it. Now the dish is in my weekly rotation. Marinate boneless chicken thighs overnight in a mix of a liberal dose of the powder with salt and sugar to taste. 30 minutes at 350 and viola! The recipe from Penzey’s says to use a little lemon juice but I have found that I prefer a can of crushed pineapple. This way I can boil down the marinade to make a sauce.

I wanted to post a pic of last night’s chicken but my son came home hungry at 2 am and ate all six remaining pieces!

7 Likes