What's For Dinner #63 - the Giving Thanks Edition - November 2020

Marinated chicken leg and thigh in white wine with herbs de Provence. Shallot, potato, country ham . Mix of a small amount of brandy and walnut dijon . Cheers .

14 Likes

Yup.

Thank you. It slices beautifully; very buttery on its own. Next time, I will let the softened butter really incorporate before chilling so it doesn’t burst while baking. This is an Erin McDowell (baker, cookbook author) recipe posted on Food52, including a video.

Our friends invited us over for a fabulous socially distanced dinner. It was our first time over their home in 9 months. We enjoyed duck with roasted asparagus in smoked olive oil, and excellent crispy hash brown waffles; huge U8 dayboat scallops with capers butter and wine; rice and lentils with fennel, tomatoes, celery, cilantro and a creamy 144 degree sous vide egg; Harvest cheese soup with pureed apples and celery, among other vegetables; warm spinach salad with crispy bacon; cranberry, jalapeno, cream cheese crostini; cranberry panna cotta. We had some amazing wines and bourbon as well.

15 Likes

Last night we had a bunch of appetizers, charcuterie and champagne.

Yesterday I also started slow simmering Some chicken stock in the slow cooker (16 hours) that would become the base for my pho/ramen hybrid that was lunch today. A credible effort. I loved the aromatics in the soup – charred onion and ginger, whole coriander, star anise, cinnamon, cardamom, etc. Next time I would put that treatment into the slow cooker and let it simmer for a good long time to intensify the flavor. Nevertheless it was really tasty and enjoyed by kiddos too. always a plus.

14 Likes

It’s been a bit busy around here planning for the big event. Thanks to the weather Gods we were able to host a mostly outdoor gathering for immediate family and a few friends. I was overwhelmed with the cooking and prep all I got a picture of was the wine bar. What to do with left over filet mignon, dam delicious cheesesteaks!!
(hangovers don’t get easier with age)

Congratulations to my daughter and her fiancé Nick!

25 Likes

Treasure the time you have with them. They grow up so fast (and fly away).

2 Likes

Congratulations to the happy couple - and parents!

1 Like

Congrats to you and your family.

1 Like

Congratulations!!! What a gorgeous picture.

2 Likes

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

What an exciting time. I hope you’re not planning on catering the wedding :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Congratulations.

Weekend … November 5th, 7th and 8th, 2020.

CHEESECANARYISLANDSimages CHEESEMATOREDFRUITS_MG_5180 editda blog

13 Likes

Papardelle with foraged hedgehog mushrooms in browned butter, mascarpone, toasted hazelnuts, garlic, and parsley. Green beans sauteed with butter and lemon pepper and arugula salad with dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds, and pumpkin-seed vinaigrette.

19 Likes

In German we would say, Wem sagen Sie das?
Whom are you telling that to?

1 Like

Congrats for the happy dad and couple!! I always thought you were much younger though! :rofl:

Congrats!

Wasn’t the weather for it, what with 70°+ degree weather today in the Boston area, but the tummy gets what the brain says it wants.

Hungarian Chicken Paprikash (chickie thighs were on sale at Market Basket yesterday) on top of leftover egg noodles, with buttered peas alongside.

Wine. And Salted Caramel Turkey Hill ice cream for laters, should I want it.

And Alfie forgot his right eye when he put on his Egyptian cat eye eyeliner this morning. Amy Winehouse would be most displeased, but hey…lack of opposable thumbs, and all that.

20201108_151101

22 Likes

We had another excellent dinner at Bloom in Verona. We enjoyed bouillabaisse; japchae; bulgogi with kimchi fried rice; bulgogi tacos; rock shrimp with gochujang and wasabi sauces; butternut squash soup; There were plenty of leftovers. It all went great with an excellent California cabernet.

image|700x700

14 Likes

first time making flour tortillas. I watched a video - these were made with pork lard. Turned out pretty good - supple and tender, although they did crack a bit as we ate them. Just need practice. The dough was easy to work with (ten minutes of kneading) and they puffed up nicely in my CI skillet. I had a bite of one with just butter and it was delish. For dinner, we had them with beef chorizo and eggs, shredded jack, quick pickled sweet jalapenos, Mexi-rice, and Rancho Gordo King City Pink beans. I’m still firmly in the corn tortilla camp, but I’d make these again.

18 Likes