What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

How about a thread for what you are cooking on a given night/day? I feel like our own home-cooking pics are scattered all over the place. I’ll start it off.

First pic is from last night. I attempted to make Shrimp Etouffee for the first time. Came out really good. Funny thing is, when I went shopping for ingredients, I totally missed that it called for clam broth. So when I started cooking I noticed and didn’t feel like going out again. So I made a quick stock out of the shrimp tails and shells, along with spices, onion, garlic, and celery. Total homerun. I actually tagged Drew’s Bistro in this pic on Instagram to see if I would get a response, and they did write back.

potd10

Then tonight a simple Cajun chicken sandwich. Two thin seasoned cutlets with a homemade remoulade, lettuce, tomato, and onion. Delicious.

potd11

7 Likes

Your shrimp stock is the “right” way to do it. The clam juice is a not-as-good shortcut.

Also, you can make me a sandwich anytime. That looks great. :grin:

3 Likes

Yumm! No pics but last night I made this: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/magic-crispy-chicken with oven fries that are actually crispy and completely addictive. I could make a whole post about those. Sautéed broccoli and salad.

The chicken turned out really nice and actually crispy. I’ll make it again. The sauce was tasty too.

Tonight, salmon probably with a quick mustard, brown sugar, sherry glaze.

3 Likes

aaaaaaaannnnnnndddd??? Don’t drop a teaser like that and not fill us in on their response.
(I had Chinese delivery last night, nothing exciting or pic worthy)

They said, “Looks great! Any leftovers?” :smiley:

1 Like

I will have to try it. Always in search of a baked crispy chicken that doesn’t turn into shoe leather.

I made shredded “crack” chicken in my Instant Pot. Not exactly haute cuisine but fast and easy. With the weather in the 70s tonight’s dinner we’ll crack out the barbecue and grill steaks and corn. :slight_smile: Or maybe I’ll sous vide the corn since I’m reading that makes the best corn.

You should either bring him some, if he likes it then you challenge him to a Shrimp Etouffee cook-off. Sponsored by Hungry Onion!! (don’t know if you were aware but Drew beat Bobby Flay I think in voodoo shrimp cook off)

2 Likes

Gracie, that sounds great. I’ve added it to my “to be made” pile.

1 Like

Fwiw, my dad (who I get my food/wine DNA from) just told me made an excellent salmon recipe w honey/mustard coating from “valerie bertinelli on the internet.” #truth But for a guy in his 80s, he’s still got it! And he’s a good cook.

1 Like

So, our 20 yr old son just made lunch for himself. I got out yesterday for the seasons last day of spring blackfishing and got a couple of eaters. Apparently working in a restaurant has inspired him, because normally his food looks like Jackson Pollock threw up on a plate.

10 Likes

You should participate on the what’s for dinner thread. Or is this limited to only the people in N.J.

3 Likes

FYI
Breakfast thread: https://www.hungryonion.org/t/whats-for-breakfast-aka-whats-going-to-happen-exciting-today

Lunch: https://www.hungryonion.org/t/whats-for-lunch-2018

Dinner: https://www.hungryonion.org/t/whats-for-dinner-32-the-spring-has-finally-sprung-edition-april-18/

@emglow101
Maybe some people only read their home board?

2 Likes

Originally I was going to direct the thread to the What’s For Dinner thread on the general board, but as you can see the OP specifically said “our own home-cooking”, so it seems his desire is for a more regional version. I do not believe there is anything about that conflicts with any rules or policies of the site so I left the thread as-is.

1 Like

Agreed. This used thighs which really helped. Let me know how it turns out for you.

Chicken in Lemon Cream Sauce with Quinoa pasta.

The chicken in cream sauce was rich and decadent, so the quinoa almost makes it healthy.

But there is an entire cooking section on the site where I infrequently post recipes and pics and such.

2 Likes

Haha! While I have a lot of faith in my cooking, I don’t dare presume I could take on a chef/restaurant of his stature. And I told him there were no leftovers. My friend and I devoured them. :smiley:

1 Like

Yes, I would like this to be specifically for what we are cooking ourselves. There are plenty of restaurant threads to post if we are eating out.

For clarification the links supplied above are for mostly home cooked meals on the general cooking board. Every month they change the threads for people to highlight their mostly home cooked meals.

Oh okay. I should have done some more looking. If you want to delete/combine, feel free. I was envisioning this as an ongoing thread.