What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

Also documented in the WFD thread, we made dumplings from scratch today.

They were a success! The premade wrapper really made all the difference. Much stickier than the homemade ones from last month, which made it easier to fold and also less stressful! The other key was using chopsticks to mix and place the filling onto the wrapper-- better portion control and easier for it to drop.

Below is the whole process from market to table!

Happy Chinese New Year!

11 Likes

Very nice folding job on those dumplings!

3 Likes

Thank you! The first couple (especially last time) were a little rocky, but the more I did it, the faster/better I was. The stickiness of the wraps also helped.

2 Likes

I would legit order these at a restaurant if I saw them there- they look amazing…well done…

3 Likes

Mrs. P made a delicious kabocha squash soup with shrimp. Details and pictures are in the main WFD link below.

2 Likes

Last night’s Shrimp Ceviche, Pisco Sours and GF knickknacks

Tonight’s Wings with Pico, Guac and Papa Huancaina

11 Likes

Below is a link to our Valentine’s Day dinner in the main WFD thread.

2 Likes

My friend sent me this and it either looks delicious or I have mean case of the munchies!

Pecan smoked beef with some homemade slaw and guacamole.

9 Likes

Ever since eating those amazing kalbi at The Galley I’ve been thinking about making some. For family reasons I ended up making fajitas with the skirt steak:

and kalbi wings with a gojujang dipping sauce:

7 Likes

Our friend invited us over for a sensational International feast :yum:
Below is a link to the details and mouth watering pictures in the main WFD thread.

2 Likes

what a friend!!

1 Like

Yes, we are relay blessed to have such a talented cook, with an amazing wine cellar, as a friend.

2 Likes

Tonight we will be enjoying Silken Tofu with Wood Ear and Morels:

Served with Jasmine rice infused with Meyer lemon:

7 Likes

Made Vietnamese Shrimp Patties to go with the leftover rice from yesterday. The first time I made this dish I went the traditional route and bought sugarcane to mold the patties around. I’m an idiot and I forgot to account for the added mass in my frying and the part next to the sugarcane went uncooked! :crazy_face:
So, ever since then I’ve just made burger-sized patties. Of course, they are usually wrapped in butter lettuce leaves and dipped in a sauce that is equal parts lime juice, fish sauce, and sugar:

7 Likes

Mrs. P made an awesome arugula salad with grilled shrimp and fennel. Details and pictures are in the main WFD thread.

2 Likes

As my grandma would say; “a little Italian penicillin” can help keep you strong against the coronavirus!!

14 Likes

Jeez that looks damn tasty! On the topic, what’s everyone’s grated cheese of choice?

2 Likes

Usually Pecorino Romano. We keep a health supply on hand. Sometimes, Parmesan, which I buy in chunk form and grate myself.

1 Like

We’re ALL coming to your house, Jr!

1 Like

Pecorino Romano, Locatelli brand of I can find it. Grana Podano is good too. I love parmigiano Reggiano, but it’s $$$$ and so good to eat I find it a waste to grate. If I have that in the house I just eat it with a bit of balsamic and some olives and call it a day

3 Likes