What's For Dinner #54 - The Leap Month Edition - February 2020

thank you!

Nice! It’ll surely be delicious!

He introduced me to the love of food, he always enjoys eating. I’ve to admit, I didn’t care much in my younger days.

2 Likes

Beef pho last night, first time I broiled some onions and ginger for the broth. I also added orange peel, nuoc mam and rock sugar in addition to the usual spice. Broth was darker than usual but clear. Lots of bones added with oxtail. Raw flank filet thinly sliced slightly cooked with the hot broth and oxtail. Yum!

13 Likes

I used the meatballs I had made from the pork and cabbage dumplings from last week to do a rice bowl thing with a side of a lone eggplant, broccoli and brown basmati. Clearing out the fridge before we go away for a few days!

8 Likes

Our friend invited us over for a sensational International feast :yum:
He made an outstanding mushroom curry that had a nice little kick to it (India); crispy Chicken Katsu (Korea); lemon cacio e pepe (Italy); smoked pulled rabbit taco (Mexico); excellent roast loin of pork roulade stuffed with broccoli rabe and prosciutto with a sauce made with the pork bones, and crispy smashed potatoes on the side; crab cakes; an amuse bouche of seared scallops, cucumbers, peppers, fish sauce, fried onions, and roasted peanuts (China); light as a feather popovers; chocolate tahini mousse (France) with a cumin cookie (Netherlands). He served some fantastic wines with some grapes that I never had before, including a 2009 Robert Foley Charbono, a 1974 Sassella, Sailor’s Superstition red blend aged in rum barrels, and The Federalist Dueling Pistols with a red zinfandel and Syrah blend, among other amazing wines and aperitifs.

19 Likes

The other night; Steelhead and brussels

11 Likes

2 Likes

@paryzer Fabulous meal…and I loathe to quibble, but katsu is Japanese, not Korean.

2 Likes

Thanks @digga. Sorry, he mentioned that the katsu was Korean. Maybe because of the pickled sauce he put on top? Either way it was delicious.

2 Likes

holy crap, what a feast! what is the sauce on the chicken katsu?

2 Likes

I’d imagine Koreans have their own take on it…?

1 Like

Feast indeed!! Interesting that he did things from all over.

1 Like

The recipe he used said Korean.

2 Likes

Yes, he likes to do dinner themes to keep things interesting :slightly_smiling_face: This was an International theme.

1 Like

I’m not sure what the sauce was. It was some sort of pickled sauce that went great with the crispy and juicy chicken. Even the eggs were made a certain way. I forgot what term he called it, but he cooked them for something like 6 minutes and 40 seconds to keep the yolks runny.

2 Likes

oh yes, i wasn’t questioning, just responding to digga! i love katsu.

1 Like

But sucn an enormous amount of food. Were there more than the four of you?

2 Likes

Drinks and apps last night in the quaint PA rivertown of New Hope.

Stop 1:

Chocolate peanut butter Old Fashioned for me.

Coconut rum, lime juice, sparkling wine for him.

Shared the slightly underwhelming “Naanachos” with chicken tikka masala under all that.

Stop 2:

Another Old Fashioned for me, a Bailey’s spiked latte for him.

Baked brie to share.

It was such a beautiful day (sunny and 60). Had to take advantage of the weather.

There was no need for an actual dinner. Glad we went the route we did.

11 Likes

@mariacarmen I asked him what the katsu sauce was made of. He said it consisted of mayo, hot sauce of choice, hint of cayenne and chopped bread & butter pickles.
Also, those are runny eggs. Bring pot of water to a boil, place room temperature eggs in water - light boil for 6 minutes and 30 seconds. Immediately plunge into cold water.

3 Likes