What’s for Dinner #56: The No Place Like Home Edition - April 2020

Our favorite prep is Melissa Clark’s “Tuscan Kale Salad.” Since that might be behind a paywall, here’s 101 Cookbook’s adaptation of it which also works. I usually supplement with chickpeas and hand-shredded raw Brussels (we absolutely do not do bagged salads at chez digga, pandemic or otherwise. sorry for the uppity-ness, but I cannot abide by the plastic bags). B loves a dinner kale salad topped with salmon. He could seriously eat that 5 times a week.

4 Likes

:rofl::sob::crazy_face:

1 Like

No apologies needed for me. This might be a fun post of all the things that are ‘beneath’ your personal food standard! I like it. I have several that come to mind myself mostly because I am completely spoiled by exceptional produce and normally avoid a whole list of foods when they are not seasonal.

Thanks for that kale salad. I often do something based off it and didn’t even know it. I heavily massage kale with lemon juice, salt and olive oil. Top with toasted breadcrumbs if I feel like fussing. Sometimes a fried egg or two. Maybe avocado slices.

2 Likes

Guys, please don’t fight.

3 Likes

@gracieggg

Ha Ha …

Thank you for the compliment … Yes, it was a very beautiful lunch with my dearest.

However, no thanks for the kale … Not one of our favorite vegetables …

Have a lovely weekend ahead.

2 Likes

Firstly, thank you for the wonderful compliment …

Yes, we are making the best of a difficult worldwide dilema.

We love red wine and drink it quite often, but the wine we had with the oysters and shellfish was a perfect pairing and quite refreshing even though it is still quite chilly here.

We shall be on lockdown, until May 3rd, at the momento. THE NEW COVID 19 VICTIMS HAVE DECREASED. However, the death toll is quite high.

More businesses have opened however, not bars or restaurants for “eat in” or to eat on terraces.
Many bars and restaurants are open for TAKE OUT OR DELIVERY. AS IT IS A NECESSITY TO SURVIVE.

IT is a difficult time worldwide, however, we are managing as we are not kids, and we have saved money for emergencies … and our business is connected to my parents business even though we are not located in the same city. So, now we are working with my parents business remotely from home part time and working on re-planning our own businesses, as my dearest is an author and photographer and I am a journalist and a travel agent. So, spending time on websites in my sectors, and seeing how to remain successful in a variety of industries …
A STUDY PERIOD AND RE-ASSESSMENT TIME …

All my best to you and have a wonderful weekend and take care of yourselves.
MASKS, GLOVES, SUNGLASSES AND ANTISEPTIC ALCOHOLIC GEL …
Ciao.

5 Likes

Wow.

Stunningly gorgeous !!!

1 Like

Thank you! That white wine is a perfect pairing with shellfish.

It looks like our lockdown will be extended to May 15th.

I am glad that you and your family are holding up. I hope this ends soon and that your business can start returning to normal.

Be well and stay safe!

Thank you and the same to you and your family.

Be wel and all our best wishes …

1 Like

This was an afternoon snack (well, we didn’t eat breakfast or lunch).

I’d say our first attempt at Brie en Croute was a success. We did cheat with premade pastry dough but my BF made a delicious toasted walnut and raspberry filling to go on top of the brie. Meanwhile, I had the momentous task of slicing all the fruit and presentation. Team effort.

For years, I’ve used President Brie, but lately have used Joan of Arc. For the same price, it is so superior in quality. Even the rind is delicious (thinner and more delicate).

Somehow we still plan on eating dinner later.

18 Likes

Love the pairing!

The best laid plans of mice and men…

1 Like

The oooooooze on that cheese is perfection. :::fanning myself::::: Did someone turn up the heat in here? :wink:

4 Likes

Straight from the oven to you! Dutch baby pancake with parmesan, pancetta, and sage. So pleased with this first attempt that I’ll be making this again.

Green salad to go with, not pictured.

14 Likes

Mrs. P made the same delicious dish that she made last week with the remaining black sea bass filet from Local 130 Seafood (pan seared with capers, butter, fresh herbs, and vermouth, with a side of asparagus).

16 Likes

Sheet pan dinner. Red onion, fennel, leeks and red peppers tossed in some leftover merguez drippings. After 25 mins in the oven, I tossed sliced kielbasa on top and gave it another 20 mins plus a few under the broiler. Served with ricotta and pesto. Simple and delicious.

16 Likes

Avocado, "tajin’, Salvadorian crema, cilantro

Pappardelle, ragu Bolognese from Mississippi roast

15 Likes

omg i’m the opposite. my parents would fry steaks and cut the fat off and leave it in the pan, and i’d go into the kitchen after dinner and eat just the big hunks of fried fat. omg so good.

6 Likes

Salade Lyonnaise, but using what we had: Duck pastrami instead of lardons, last of the radishes, last of the romaine instead of frisee, shallots, and i like to make fried taters in place of croutons. Poached eggs. Dijon vinaigrette. SALAD - fatty, carby, and delicious!

and Ottolenghi’s carrots. So good.

18 Likes

I was feeling very snacky long before dinner, so I made a plate of “sev puri” (a type of chaat). I did share - challenge is to not make another plate, and then another… so I portioned it out and walked away!

I had a chat date with some friends after that, so I ate dinner after everyone else. Coconut curry vegetables, including a couple of types of mushrooms.

15 Likes