What's for Dinner #71 - the Vacation Time! Edition - July 2021

Thank you very much.

It is quite wonderful …

Super.

Truer words have never been spoken. I usually use recipes for inspiration, especially in the current environment. Before, if I was missing an ingredient I’d likely run to the store and pick it up. Now that I’ve gotten used to not shopping as often I still don’t bother. It forces me to be more creative.

5 Likes

I just had deja vu reading your post re: the eggplant bolognese, as well as @pilgrim 's post about Dutch babies, I’ve read both of those posts before - or feel like I have. :slight_smile: Always strange when it happens, but always interesting as well.

1 Like

I’ve used that basic combo on pasta but not on DB or it’s cousin pascade. Am not sure if I’ve posted on a previous savory DB here. I think it’s been a few years since I’ve made one of any persuasion. But they’ll be on my rotation from now on: easy, lighter than pasta, endlessly variable.

3 Likes

The savory Dutch baby person might have been me. I started making them last year. Your post reminds me how versatile they are.

And I didn’t know about pascade, another puffy pancake in the pantheon. Nice.

2 Likes

Simply another favourite of our´s …

7 Likes

Gorgeous cocktail …

1 Like

I don’t remember ever having eggplant bolognese before, so it probably wasn’t me (although I am getting senile in my old age) :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Food for thought @pilgrim and @tomatotomato! Thanks for the link. Epicurious has a recipe for DB for two but after looking at several recipes the variations in egg-flour-milk ratios makes me think they are fairly forgiving.

More food for thought: most recipes will suggest a single large, like 10-12” DB. This is obviously easier to construct but depending on your garnish, a pain to cut and portion out.
Individuals, 6-7”, are obviously easier to serve but require a fleet of pans. I used 2 same diameter but different clay bakers., cutting a recipe for 4 to 2. Worked well.

1 Like

Thanks!! I was thinking going smaller on the pan since it’s just me. Use 2 eggs and have leftover batter for breakfast the next day.

1 Like

Good to see your post ccj, have missed you…

2 Likes

Got a nice piece of local haddock this morning and made a NYT recipe for crispy baked fish - basically spread fish with tartar sauce and add lightly oiled panko and bake. I baked my oiled panko till crispy first and that was a good call. This is a keeper recipe: super easy, quick and tasty. With Turkish-style green beans braised in olive oil, tomato, anchovy and with a squeeze of lemon juice. Would eat the whole thing again tomorrow.

15 Likes

one of my faves too… lovely!

1 Like

Tonight BF made what I was going to make for dinner because i had to work at the office today (yuck, by the way; not looking forward to going back at all): leftover longanisa fried rice. I was going to make it with kimchi, he put it on the side, with Japanese pickled turnips and Persian cukes. His egg omelet turned out much nicer than mine ever does, i don’t know how he makes it so tender! An assuaging dinner.

15 Likes

That all looks so good!!

1 Like

Smoked salmon salad with dill sauce. Food & Wine recipe.

13 Likes

Simple dinner last night - khichdi.

First round was very simple - with onion, garlic, and water-fried papad (ie microwave).

Then I remembered that I had planned to make aloo bharta/chokha - spiced mashed potato, a very typical accompaniment in the eastern states of India. So I made some for my second helping.

Tonight I made farfalle with pesto, potato, and peas plus a dollop of fresh ricotta. I’ve been craving pesto pasta for a year. Definitely hit the spot. Steamed broccoli on the side.

14 Likes

I made a batch of Katong laksa using this recipe more or less to use up a bag of shrimp shells and heads in the freezer, and had some for dinner. Also made some sambal belacan for it using this this recipe.

20 Likes