What’s for Dinner #56: The No Place Like Home Edition - April 2020

Dorothy had the right idea. Let’s all close our eyes, click our heels three times, and hope to be transported out of this alternate universe. :sweat: If only.

There’s no place like home - for better or worse when these four walls start to feel like they’re closing in. Yet, let’s be grateful for our lodging, food security, and cooking skills to fall back on. Yep, there are lots of homecooked quarantine dinners ahead.

Without further ado: What’s for Dinner during these strange, trying times? Photos welcome.

17 Likes

Tonight I made Thai-style sweet wokked noodles with carrots, scallions, zucchini, and mushrooms and gai yang (grilled cilantro-lemongrass chicken). It was good and the kiddo eventually dug in.

Nonna’s pineapple upside down cake for dessert - made while FaceTiming with her.

25 Likes

Thanks @ChristinaM. I had a shit-show of a day at work and never got around to creating #56.

And I love your write up! Wizard of Oz is one of my favorite movies.

Tonight was leftovers. But tomorrow I’ll make something for dinner. After another expected shit show of a work day, I’m sure.

6 Likes

Home alone, indulging my cravings. Are cornichons and scallions considered servings of greens? Anyway, Mexican frying cheese with cornichons FWIW, this stuff is killer good

Rice noodles

18 Likes

When ever I look on this what’s for dinner thread and see Linda my heart skips a beat . Always a inspiration. Thank you.

5 Likes

Absolutely. (Also side note, I’ve been trying to use up my saved parm rinds in soups and stews but cannot find them for the life of me once done cooking. Scale of 1-10, how important is it actually to fish them out?

5 . I like to leave them in . Find them to be the treasure in your soup.

6 Likes

Hah, great! I wasn’t sure what the wax would do to me, but I’m all for it. Thanks!

Here is a Recipe for Emglow101 as requested for beef stew:
My mom’s recipe: (Which means I have been eating this for more than 6 decades!)
(6 servings)
2lbs of chuck cubed
one large onion diced
2 stalks of celery cut in small pieces
2 cloves of garlic, smashed
3 carrots cut into 3/4" bitesize pieces
1 parsnip cut into 3/4" bite size pieces
3 white potatoes cut into 1 1/2" pieces
2 tbls. tomato paste
14 ounce can of beef stock + I can of water
Kosher salt
Black pepper
1tbls. olive oil
Brown the meat in batches and remove from pot. Add onion, celery for 3 minutes, add garlic and return meat to pot. Add in stock, water tomato paste, s&p cover and let cook on a low flame just barely boiling for 1/2 hour. Add in carrots, parsnip and potatoes and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft. If a thicker gravy is desired, thicken with two teaspoons of cornstarch dissolved in a 1/4 cup of cold water as the stew boils (be sure to cook out the corn starch)

Keep Safe and distance yourself!

14 Likes

Beautiful day so fired up the grill! Spatchcocked a nice fat chicken…

17 Likes

There is no wax in parmasean. Its naturally created cover by the cheese

4 Likes

So beautiful. Thanks Phreddy

1 Like

Awesome, thanks! Been worrying about for nothing for a while I guess :joy:

1 Like

Damn this bratwurst was so good . Master sausage maker I found from Germany. Out in the middle of nowhere. Fried eggs , onion, and bread. Cheers.

16 Likes

The parsnip was the secret ingredient. Love my roots. Thanks again Phreddy

2 Likes

Panini with turkey, cheddar, tomato, and dijon. Bread started to burn before the cheese fully melted. Meh. Not bad but could have been better. Curly fries in the air fryer.

17 Likes

Pineapple cake looked fab! Love the idea that you cooked with Nonna.

Thanks for starting the topic. (I added the tag for the thread.)

2 Likes

Weird food day. For some reason dinner was for lunch. Chicken soup a la dad - brought my missing appetite back.

Actual dinner ended up being South Indian because kids and one adult were craving it - idli, dosa, sambhar, chutney. I didn’t eat till much later - had an uttapam and then a small dosa. Third adult ate a tuna sandwich…

I made a late night batch of zhoug because our TJ stash is gone, and cilantro needed using up.

image image

14 Likes

We had those Corelle plates when I was growing up.

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like