What’s for Dinner #56: The No Place Like Home Edition - April 2020

oh my goodness that sounds good!

i would like to crawl inside that and eat my way out, please.

2 Likes

Yeah! I love this idea. Is there a recipe you follow?

I made a sort of hybrid jambalaya and dirty rice. Grass-fed ground beef, turkey kielbasa, “jambalaya mixed vegetables”. Quite quick and turned out well.

14 Likes

absolutely disagree and support Linda - and anyone else - 100% to tell us about her/their shitty day.

9 Likes

(confesses to goldfish in quarantine)

We’re all having shitty days, and hopefully, like I am, these posts help, even if I’m not posting my shittily plated (tbh, barely plated) dinners… I’m just glad that even by sharing these times we can make it even a bit better for the rest of us.

7 Likes

Shrimp Stir Fry with reconstituted Porcino mushrooms and unsalted Pistacios…

13 Likes

completely agree. Linda’s posts are at the core of what makes this community great.

More generally, part of why I love this community is it is not simply about the food that we are eating/cooking. it is also about what the food means to us and the role it plays in our lives. a person’s reaction to their day and how that impacts their cooking decisions or food choices is actually something that is of interest to many of us on a human level.

I, for one, don’t want posts to be limited only to food descriptions. I enjoy hearing about the preparations of meals for loved ones to recreate fond memories, or to support friends and family in times of need or joy. Also the descriptions woven into posts about how and why someone traveled to a particular place and enjoyed some food. we are sharing little bits and pieces of ourselves with this online community as we talk about the food.

Not only do I really enjoy the richness of these not-just-food posts, i think they are particularly important (to the posters and readers) during these times when face to face connections with our other communities are so curtailed.

16 Likes

Since we essentially missed Easter due to work, we had a ham tonight with a honey glaze. Side of mashed potatoes. There was also asparagus (not pictured).

Who wants leftovers? Between our late brie “snack” and the size of this ham, I have a feeling we’ll be eating ham for days.

18 Likes

delicious.
i also have leftover Easter ham and am looking for (more) ways to repurpose the leftovers. today i made a fritatta with some diced ham and the leftover scalloped potatoes. last night i made some fried rice and threw in some more diced ham. need more ideas for something other than just reheating or using for sandwiches.

2 Likes

If I was a breakfast guy, it would be a no-brainer. But I rarely have a stomach for food that hearty in the morning.

Aside from a sandwich, I will probably use it in some Spanish pink beans or rice with gandules. I was also thinking split pea soup but I’m not sure if the honey flavor will affect it (it was not a smokey ham).

Bakery pizza dough made into a loaf. I’m really loving this . Great for sandwiches also . Grilled thigh with other. Cheers.

D

11 Likes

Hong you chou shou - Sichuan wontons (from the freezer) in chili oil sauce.

16 Likes

I was thinking of @digga as I inhaled this kale salad. :slight_smile: Roasted salmon, asparagus, cucumber salad and a parsley/caper/scallion/sprouted greens thing? I don’t really know what to call it but it was tasty. I’ve been sprouting various things and I think this was a microgreens mix. They look lovely and have a nice light peppery taste. Venturing out past only doing mung beans.

15 Likes

@ChristinaM, this was the first Dutch baby pancake I made. I foraged through information from different recipes to figure out an approach that would serve me.

The recipes that I found yielded too much for my pan, but a commenter in the NYT recipe led me to a handy chart from Sunset magazine. I can’t find this chart on the Sunset site, but a blogger helpfully posted the snippet below. Fill your pan with water to determine its capacity: My cast iron Le Crueset skillet holds 2 quarts, which lets me make a pancake for two.

After you determine the right proportions for your pan, check out the technique in these recipes. The short video posted with each recipe really helped since I was a first-timer. (I didn’t want to waste precious eggs or flour!)

Mixing the ingredients in a blender was a quick, easy way to make sure I had a perfectly smooth batter.

6 Likes

Phreddy, Linda didn’t describe or drag her problem into the discussion. Everyone can have shitty days with the circumstances we are living now. Please be tolerate and in open spirit.

7 Likes

Everybody:
Please keep in mind that we are all living a difficult and uncertain situation. I hope everybody stays courteous, polite and liberal. As moderator, I wish we can help each other of out and be better. Please continue to share your wonderful meals, and put aside the divisions.

10 Likes

Did you make the wontons yourself? I can’t find the skin right now, and need to make from scratch.

That’s what turned me off from meat at a young age. Seeing my family gnawing away at all the fatty bits used to turn my stomach. My parents would make me sit at the dinner table long after everyone else was done. And I still refused. Mom gave up eventually.

3 Likes

Is it too sentimental to say how I enjoy the online company of all the voices here? Yeah, nerves can fray at a time this and kindness is a balm.

Ya’ll are good people. I’m grateful for your company as we muddle through.

12 Likes