What’s for Dinner #56: The No Place Like Home Edition - April 2020

I hear you on that, I always was the kid carefully slicing away the fat from the occasional steak dinners. I usually order Cha siu lean, and only half fatty if it’s for other people eating with me.

2 Likes

Our Easter dinner continues on…

Day 2 of Bubble & Squeak:
IMG_3962

Day 3 will be today. So glad we love cabbage and potatoes. :heart_eyes:

10 Likes

Greg, tried and true for me too with respect to your method. I also like a slightly spicy crème Francie with some dill and cayenne, along side. (kind of reminds me of latkes with sour cream)

2 Likes

Ooh that sounds good. Will have to try next time!

Wow! Lemon is literally my favorite thing. I get cranky when my picky eaters equate to me not being able to use certain ingredients…

1 Like

Top pic is view from my dinner plate; we had straight up comfort food. Doctored up roasted red pepper and tomato soup with half a grilled cheese sandwich. Purely satisfying.

15 Likes

Looks sooo good

1 Like

Monday was chicken with dates and caramelized lemons. I didn’t have enough dates so added some dried apricots. I also had to reduce the final sauce and add a bit of honey to adjust the sweetness. I used the leftover lamb rice and also the barberry pilaf rice from Sundays delivery from our local Iranian place.
I used this recipe.

Also we ordered two lots of their delicious saffron ice cream that they make themselves so we had some left for this meal.

Yesterday was quite a brunchy dinner. Potatoes and green beans needed using up. So I made a potato, bacon and green bean hash with paprika. Also a couple of fried eggs.

Tonight was venison meatballs flavoured with fennel and cardamom. Served with carrots roasted with cumin and peas. Venison is not a great meat for meatballs as it’s too lean. A bit dry but the yoghurt with coriander chutney helped. I will add pancetta to the meatballs next time. They tasted good though.

Sad to report that my mortar that has seen 17 years of valiant service finally gave up the ghost while preparing tonight’s meal.

18 Likes

Do you have Thai groceries around where you are? Their granite mortars are close to indestructible.

I made seared scallops, steamed broccoli with oo and smoky pepper seasoning, and ww bowties with ramp cream sauce and peas. Finished up the last of the green salad.

16 Likes

Shitty day. People can suck.

Not much in the mood to “cook”, so a salad to use up some veggies was in order.

Lettuce, hard-boiled eggs, sweet tomatoes, grated carrots, sliced radishes and cukes, crumbled goat cheese, slivered shallots, homemade sourdough croutons, and homemade honey-mustard vinaigrette.

Yeah, it was definitely a Wednesday Wine Day.

15 Likes

Mrs. P made wild caught bigeye tuna (from Local 130 Seafood) two ways; tartare and black and white sesame seed encrusted. We had sugar snap peas, snow peas, seaweed, ginger, soy, and wasabi on the side. The tartare was mixed with avocado, red onions, toasted black and white sesame seeds, and soy sauce.

18 Likes

Too terrific.

2 Likes

Pasta! Broccoli and kale pesto and breadcrumbs. Easy and delicious. Heathy enough to boot.

11 Likes

Thank you Jimmy.

Strip steak, pasta dressed with pureed cauliflower and grilled florets.

11 Likes

Sorry your day and the people in it were lousy :sob:

1 Like

How delicious!

1 Like

Tonight I was really craving Chinese takeout, but all of our regulars have sadly closed. So self help. A kind of Kung Pao chicken minus peanuts, garlic sautéed broccoli and ham fried brown rice. It really hit the spot.

10 Likes

Beautiful pic