What’s for Dinner #56: The No Place Like Home Edition - April 2020

Thanks. You are just too kind. Mrs P’s meals are even better.

During this time, would like to take a break and order some take away, unfortunately the offers around home aren’t very interesting. We live a bit far to convince the delivery people to transport orders from restaurants in Paris.

Good idea to reheat so the meal is served warm. One of the problem of take away is the food getting cold.

2 Likes

Lovely! What dough do you use?

1 Like

So you’re not using green platanos, right? just ripe (but not black-ripe, like for maduros)? i’m a plantain lover from childhood, but i’ve always had/made maduros - the super ripe ones that become sweet, caramelized, and almost gelatinous when you fry them.

like these (not my pic):

Mmm!

3 Likes

Yes, green plantains. I’m not an expert on them but they were very firm and not sweet at all. The firmer the better.

I enjoy maduros but for the sake of tostones, you would not want sweetness or caramelization.

3 Likes

Looks great! Some people don’t like tenderloin for it since you don’t quite get the same “chew”, but as long as it’s not overcooked and dry I’ve never minded that much.

Not quite what you did but I’m inspired seeing the layer of melted cheese on your pasta - I made a gigantic batch a few days ago that’s going to find new life as a casserole or spaghetti pie!

1 Like

I love melting cheese until it gets browned. If I’m in the know, sometimes I will order a pizza well done, if a place keeps it too anemic looking. But the cheese here was fully on the eggplant. None on the pasta itself.

1 Like

Last night: pandemic style General Tso’s Chicken with brown rice. No scallions, so extra onions & fresh chives, jalapeños instead of whole, dried red chiles, and breasts rather than thighs. Tasty. Leftover lemon tart for dessert.

16 Likes

Looks great! (That’s the way I cook all the time. Like rabbit in mustard sauce becomes chicken in turmeric. aka name it after you cook it.

1 Like

You are the queen of that @pilgrim, and one of my cooking role models on this site. We’re a little challenged right now with not having a wide variety of fresh stuff, so not eating as much veg as usual. Neither of us wants to go to a major store right now, as we actually aren’t in a taper after all, but like many places, not peaking either. Will have to bite the bullet and do it when we have to, especially since we found the 2 N95 masks in our garage.

2 Likes

I used the Lehmann NY Style dough recipe:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/lehmann-nystyle.php

1 Like

There was a chain awhile ago about what do you dislike that everyone else seems to like, and one of mine was fatty meats. I just don’t enjoy either the taste or the mouthfeel of meat fat, whether in something hot like a steak or something cold like a prosciutto. So I always cook with the leaner meats. That’s just a personal preference. Somehow, I am ok with the fattier stuff if it’s ground up - ground beef, sausage. My stomach can be a little testy after though.

3 Likes

We soaked the leftover flour tortillas in the chicken juices after our shawarma meal, and tonight I (over)crisped them with olive oil on a sheet pan before and along with the reheating chicken and sweet potato fries. Chopped up some more salad, mixed the broken tortillas in, and dressed with the pomegranate-molasses and sumac dressing from Persiana. Too bad I overcooked the carbs, but it was still OK.

13 Likes

My produce order arrived. Can you tell? Grilled chicken kebabs, cucumber salad with parsley, grilled mushrooms and a big kale salad. Yum!!!

9 Likes

Lamb Keema and Eggplant Something that I made up with tomatoes, curry leaves and coconut milk. Served with Basmati rice.

12 Likes

Love your plating!

1 Like

Tomato and mozz, green goddess

Salmon cakes, tartar and cocktail sauces, Venetian cabbage, barley

11 Likes

kahlua pork and asparagus . Our favorite Hawaiian place is closed and my daughter requested kahlua pork.

13 Likes

Thank you. I drive my family crazy taking pictures. They’re usually done with dinner by the time I’m done with the “photo shoot”.

5 Likes

Italian-ish for dinner tonight.

Polenta (shortcut version, I have no patience for stirring at the moment), lamb t-bones sous vide and then grilled (yesterday, reheated at 150 today in the cooling oven), roasted mushrooms, and sautéed greens (riff on recent NYT recipe). Mom’s tomato salad to start.

Polenta was the texture I wanted tonight, with a bit of fixing at the end. I also tried 2/3 masa and 1/3 polenta cornmeal tonight, because I have a giant bag (plus another) of masa harina now, and I’d like to use it in everyday (for us) ways… cornbread soon…

14 Likes