Weekly Menu Planning - March 2024

Australian Coronation Chicken Cooked chicken salad

(These quantities are for half the original recipe - just right as supper for two plus lunch leftover.)

1/2 cup light mayonnaise
3 T. mango chutney
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1 T. lemon juice
2 C. cooked chicken, meat chopped coarsely
1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, shredded or 4 tsp.dried
Optional - 1/4 cup cilantro, shredded (I omit)
salt and pepper
4 Cups shredded (chopped with knife) salad greens – arugala, spinach, lettuce or a mixture
1 1/2 cups cooked rice (from approx 1/2 cup raw rice)
– I use leftover white, or brown mixed wild and Jasmine
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted or untoasted
1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots (5 or 6)
Steps
Combine mayonnaise, chutney, curry powder, lemon juice in a large bowl; stir well.
Add chicken and shredded herbs. Season to taste.
Toss to combine lettuce/spinach greens and cooked rice in a large bowl. Spread onto a serving platter.
Top with chicken mixture and garnish with almonds.

6 Likes

Cooking for one in Reston, VA

Got home Monday morning from a month long vacation. I’m still jetlagged (to be honest, I haven’t really tried to get back on schedule) and my fridge is pretty empty. Last week’s meals were based on what was in the freezer and a few items I picked up on a quick trip to the grocery store. Nothing was aspirational:
Monday, Mar 4 - Shrimp Tempura roll from WF
Tuesday, Mar 5 - Chicken Tortilla Soup from freezer and salad from a bag
Wednesday, Mar 6 - Chicken Sausage on a bun and more salad from a bag
Thursday, Mar 7 - Veggie Burger
Friday, Mar 8 - Another chicken sausage
Saturday, Mar 9 - Shakshuka (sauce from freezer)

Next week, I am trying to get on track with more interesting meals and trying to lose some weight.
Sunday, Mar 10 and Monday, Mar 11 - Tofu and Green Beans with Chili Crisp - NYT
Tuesday, Mar 12 and Wednesday, Mar 13 - Maryland Crab Soup (Ellie Krieger recipe) and salad
Thursday, Mar 14 and Friday, Mar 15 - Banh Mi Turkey Meatball Rice Bowls (Skinnytaste recipe)

15 Likes

Yet another busy week ahead. Keeping head above water, barely!

For two adults in San Diego:

Breakfasts: Finished up scones from last week. There might be a pastry incident when I pick up bread and sandwiches from a favorite bakery on Sunday. Just to make this week easier, of course.

S: (tonight) takeout - chicken kabobs, rice, salad, hummus, pita

Su: Chicken cordon bleu and spinach with garlic bread

M: White bean soup (carrots, celery), Italian sausage, spinach, sourdough toast - soup

T: Eggs scrambled with spinach and cheese, hash browns - vegetarian

W: Grilled fish tacos - seafood

Th: Chicken pot pie (pi day!)

F: Rigatoni with white bolognese (a simplified version inspired by that NYT recipe that was popular a few years ago)

Have a good week!

12 Likes

Busy week ahead for us… work stuff + tech week for DS’s show + other life things like an 8am doctors appointment (what was I thinking??)… We went out last night for hibachi/sushi and it was very entertaining. A word to the wise: those little peeing boy squirt bottles are in fact available for purchase online, in a case of 25, but the photo of 25 peeing boy squirt bottles is creepy!

Feeding two adults and a 13yo in the Boston burbs.

Sun: Turkish beef with peppers and tomatoes, crusty bread for them/something breadlike for me

Mon: TikTok feta pasta (roasted cherry tomatoes, feta, fusilli), green beans

Tues: adobo lime chicken, refried black beans, tortillas on the side or enveloping everything if it feels more taco-y

Weds: I have a work dinner, guys are on their own

Thurs: I forgot it was Pi(e) day so planned turkey cutlets and cheesy roasted broccoli (NYT). I might make a toll house pie for dessert.

Fri: I’m going out with friends to celebrate birthdays, not sure what the guys will do.

13 Likes

The adobo lime chicken was a surprising hit - sharing the recipe in case anyone else wants an easy win. I used three b/s chicken breasts, each sliced into about 4-5 pieces. 2 T olive oil and 1/4 C lime juice in the marinade. I sautéed the chicken and then chopped it up before serving.

9 Likes

Greetings, People.

I have never made a Spanish tortilla, and hopefully this is the week I right that wrong.

Cooking for two adults in the PNW.

FRI: Spanish tortilla with smoked salmon and a lemon-dill sauce. Something like this.

SAT: Leftover vareniki from the freezer. Mashed butternut potatoes.

SUN: Carnitas from the freezer. Tortillas and the usual suspects.

MON: Caldo verde (gift link) with the addition of halibut.

TUE: Burgers on the grill. Fries.

WED: Jerk chicken-zucchini meatballs with bbq-pineapple glaze another (gift link here)

THUR: Salmon in some form. Steamed rice. Veg TBD.

14 Likes

Hello to everyone from the warm Twin Cities where the rumors that it will be actually March like instead of May here. Things are super busy and trying to keep the calendar updated has been a challenge- between everyone’s skating, big kiddo made the spring musical (oy!), Mr Autumm’s work things and then the dishwasher decided to over foam and washed the kitchen floor for me. GRR. And I have a jury duty summons for next week. I took today off as a mental health day.

Actuals and plans for 2 adults and to busy busy girls:

Sun 10: Take out

Mon 11: Celebrated a day off with the dishwasher’s E15 error code and. Tech is coming next week They wanted chicken sandwiches baked from frozen, peas after skatingI had wine

Tues 12: I don’t remember except the pork chops I had planned went into the freezer Fancy cheese night?

Weds 13: Big kiddo past a skating moves test- Potbelly’s sandwiches and Mr Autumm at the work thing

Tonight: Mr Autumm is at some work thing, girls had pizza for lunch (Pi day) so they agreed on Mexican take out

Fri 15: Zucchini fritters and probably shrimp scampi (Costco frozen, Meh so lets just eat it and be done)

Sat 16: Little one really wants to go out to dinner as a family but I might be non-home cooked food out

Take care everyone

17 Likes

Maybe that’s a good thing?

2 Likes

I am now winding up a four day work week but it feels like it’s been a thousand days long. Our intake team was tasked with triaging our generic email inbox while I was away last week so they entered the new requests that came in and left the rest for me to deal with on my return to work on Tuesday! :rage: Oh well it’s Friday and I made it through the week so that’s all that matters. Onto my menus for the upcoming week:

Today: Take out lunch today is a k-bowl from one of the Korean grocery stores near my apartment. There are two Korean grocery stores near my apartment, both of which sell prepared foods and they sell different meals. One of them sells fried chicken but the other doesn’t, one sells pork bone soup and the other doesn’t, etc. So if I ever get a hankering for Korean take out I have my bases covered! :slight_smile: My k-bowl includes fried chicken, Asian slaw (red and green cabbage with a carrot ginger dressing), rice and glass noodles. Tonight I will have a salad for dinner.

Saturday: Clean out the last two kitchen cupboards (the ones where I store my non-perishables). I have cupboards where I store my pots and pans that need to be cleaned but it’s not a priority right now. Dinner will be angel hair pasta with asparagus and portobello mushrooms.

Sunday: Off to the movies to see “One Life”. Dinner will be a basa fillet with “egg sauce”. This is one of my mom’s recipes which is basically a white sauce with chopped hard boiled eggs mixed in. Sides tbd.

Monday: Leek and sundried tomato risotto.

Tuesday: Spaghettini with sesame bok choy.

Wednesday: @Phoenikia bought some Tibetan Thukpa for dinner recently and she posted it iin the “What’s for dinner” thread and she posted a link to a couple of recipes. I am intrigued by this dish and I happen to have all the ingredients for one of them so I am going to give it a try.

Thursday: fried cabbage and egg noodles.

Something may get bumped since I found a cup of chickpeas in the fridge so I will have to find some way of using them up.

Lunches will alternate between French onion soup and broccoli couscous salad.

Have a nice week everyone.

15 Likes

I’m also intrigued by Tibetan thupka, and I’ll be trying out other takeout versions in Toronto. Toronto has the largest Tibetan community outside Tibet. There’s a Little Tibet neighborhood along West Queen West near Jameson in Parkdale. There are at least 30 Tibetan restaurants in the Greater Toronto Area.

Tonight, Friday , March 15th, I’ll be making something with no salt canned tuna, probably a riff on a Spaghetti Niçoise.

Jessica Battilana’s Spaghetti Niçoise from Nigella.com

Maroulosalata with romaine, green onions, lemon, dill.

For Saturday, Swedish meatballs. I already made Swedish meatballs last night, following Alton Brown’s Swedish Meatballs recipe . I made the meatballs with beef , omitting the pork, and no sauce.
Saturday’s supper may be supplemented with a steak.

Sunday brunch, I’ll be going out with @rstuart to our favourite brunch spot, Union on Ossington. 3rd time should be a charm, we had to rebook twice because weather got in the way of our plans 2 weekends in January!

Sunday night, I am thinking lamb stew. Probably Irish stew, since it is St Paddy’s. Does anyone have an Irish stew recipe they like?

Monday, lemon rosemary oregano roast chicken and potatoes.

I can’t think ahead 4 days right now.

12 Likes

I didn’t know that! I used to visit Toronto once a year until 10 years ago then incurred debt when I decided to go back to school to do my Masters degree. I had to abandon my studies half way through since the tuition was getting too expensive and there is no financial assistance for part time students. I can’t affort to take a leave of absence from work to go back to school full time since I would have no way of paying rent and utilities while I am off. I miss my trips to Toronto and I am hoping to resume them next year. I should look into visiting Little Tibet. (Ironically Ottawa has the highest Inuit population outside of the north but no First Nations restaurants.)

2 Likes

Keeping fingers and toes crossed that the snow/freezing rain is finished for the season. Have fun!

2 Likes

I know Ottawa had Sweetgrass restaurant in the Byward Market for over a decade. It was a shame that it closed.

Most First Nations restaurants in Toronto have run into financial trouble after a couple years of business. I’m not sure any turned a profit.

The restaurant business is a tough business that keeps getting tougher with tighter and tighter margins as food costs go up and people try to seek out better deals.

I think only one First Nations restaurant is currently active in business in Toronto. Tea N Bannock on Gerrard St E

The 2 that were located closest to me have closed.
I think the restaurant serving seal and whale in Toronto closed. It was very expensive. I never went. (Edit: Kūkŭm Kitchen, opened in 2017, closed in 2019.)

That said, many niche cuisines have a tough market. The Burmese, Scandinavian and German restaurants in Toronto have also closed over the last 10 years.

For a megacity of 2.8 million, there’s only 1 Czech restaurant, which is located in Scarborough, 10 miles east of my apartment, so I’ve never been. (It’s on my list!)

It’s just interesting to see what the market will bear, and what it won’t!

Beandigen Indigenous Café in Ottawa

2 Likes

:rofl:

I don’t take my snow tires off until Cinco de Mayo.

3 Likes

Sweetgrass was owned by a couple - Phoebe (I can’t remember her last name) is First Nations and her husband Warren Sutherland who is Jamaican I believe. They divorced about five years in IIRC then Phoebe moved back up north. Warren is still here and now co-owns The Piggy Market with Dave O’Neil. I ordered Easter dinner from them and I am very excited for dinner. I ordered Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner from The Piggy Market last year as well as a couple of take-out dinners in between and they are awesome. I may be a little biased though since I am their #1 fan :slight_smile:

I keep forgetting about Beandigen Indigeonous Café. It’s located at Lansdowne Park and I go shopping there sometimes so I will have to make note of stopping by for a coffee sometime.

2 Likes

Good to know the scoop!

The Manitou bistro in Renfrew looks interesting. I’m not sure if you ever drive out of town!

I drove through Renfrew 2 summers. I wish I had known about Manitou Bistro.

1 Like

I don’t drive but I’m planning on looking into tours with Ottawa Valley Tours. They go to some of the towns just outside of Ottawa and sometimes you have a day, or at least a meal, on your own. If I find myself in Renfrew for lunch or dinner I will keep Manitou Bistro in mind.

2 Likes

Hi, all! Cooking for 1-2 in Chattanooga. DH is back in France after his mom had an apparent stroke; she seems to be recovering, but he has not been terribly forthcoming. Sigh. Actuals and plans, such as they are:
Tuesday, March 12: Shrimp risotto from Milk Street before DH had to catch his plane.
Wednesday: Leftovers
Thursday: Sweet potatoes with lentils and olives (sounds strange, tastes delicious!) from Family
Friday (today): Leftovers and some kind of veggie dish to clear out the crisper drawer
Breakfast: Granola parfaits with fruit from the freezer
Saturday: Dinner at a friend’s. I may bring chocolate coconut macaroons and/or whatever she asks me to contribute.
Sunday: Asparagus soufflé and potentially a root veg salad
Monday: Salmon with salsa verde, rice pilaf, something with mushrooms
Tuesday-Wednesday: Leftovers/scrounge/takeout
Thursday: DH will be back! Toad in the hole, the sausage/Yorkshire pudding kind
Friday: TBD, maybe out for a change
Have a good week everyone–may your kitchen appliances and family members behave. Happy cooking!

15 Likes

Wish I could be at brunch!

4 Likes

I’m excited enough that I’ve been peeking at the menu :grinning:Union on Ossington in Toronto Brunch/Lunch Menu, changes a little from day to day

1 Like