SIMPLE THAI FOOD - April 2022 Cookbook of the Month

Welcome to the reporting thread for our April, 2022 Cookbook of the Month. Our selection for April is SIMPLE THAI FOOD: CLASSIC RECIPES FROM THE THAI HOME KITCHEN, by Leela Punyaratabandhu. We’re going to continue as we did in March, and have all the reports under this single thread, instead of breaking it out into multiple threads like we did over on CH.

To report on a dish, please put the name of the dish in ALL CAPS, and give the page number if you have it (skip the page # if using an ebook). If you are the first to report on a recipe, post as a reply to this topic. If someone else has already reported on the recipe, post as a reply to that person. Please do not post a recipe verbatim. A summary of the ingredients and technique in your own words is appropriate and encouraged.

10 Likes

SWEET POTATO FRITTERS WITH PEANUT SWEET CHILE SAUCE (PAGE 11)

I had my doubts that these would turn out but they were excellent.
My husband loved them so much that he came home with more sweet potatoes.
Guess what’s for dinner tonight?
His words “These are restaurant worthy”.
You combine rice flour or AP (which is what I used), cornstarch, baking soda, dried unsweetened coconut flakes, salt, sesame seeds, water and basic aromatic paste (garlic, white pepper and cilantro root or stems) in a bowl add the sweet potato to coat then fry.

Dipping sauce:
Sweet chile sauce either store bought or home made (I used store bought this time because I had some in the cupboard)
Chopped: Peanuts, cilantro and bird’s chile (optional).

20 Likes

IMG_9686

SPICY BASIL CHICKEN (BEEF) AND FRIED EGGS ON RICE - Kindle P. 147
[khao rat phat ka-phrao neua wua khai dao]

A friend showed up with some beautiful kosher ground beef and a hankering for kra prao, so I was glad to oblige him. The recipe calls for 1.5 lbs. of ground protein; the 2+ lbs. I used made just under 1 ½ recipe’s worth, so I scaled up accordingly. I usually use sliced chicken in kra prao, but this variation was super-simple to put together, and really hit the spot.

A ‘Thai sofrito’ of ground garlic, fresh chiles, and shallot is briefly sautéed in oil, before adding the ground protein, beef in our case. Next, fish sauce, thin soy sauce, sweet soy sauce, and oyster sauce are incorporated, stirring until the meat is cooked through. I mix up my own kecap manis by blending soy sauce and turbinado sugar, so this is what I used for the sweet soy sauce. Finally, holy basil leaves are tossed with the meat, off the heat. I subbed Thai basil. The kra prao was served in the traditional way with rice, a crispy egg (Kindle P. 194), and ‘Cucumber Relish, (Kindle P. 191). I would definitely make this again!

23 Likes

BASIC AROMATIC PASTE (PAGE 179)

Combine garlic, white peppercorns, cilantro root or stems (referred to as the 3 buddies in the book).
I used the food processor first then switched to the mortar and pestle.
The mortar and pestle is the way to go unless you have Arthritis then perhaps the food processor is more beneficial to you.
I just don’t think it’s worth the clean up for me and the mortar and pestle did a far superior job.
YMMV.

11 Likes

@RainyRamone,
Welcome ! Nice to see you here.

2 Likes

IMG_9682
CRISPY FRIED EGGS - Kindle P. 194
[khai dao]

More of a technique than a recipe, this is a how-to for preparing the ubiquitous crispy fried egg which accompanies many Thai rice plates. A generous amount of oil is heated in a skillet over medium-high, into which the egg is cracked. Oil is spooned over the egg, and it’s done when it’s crispy on the edges and bottom. So far, I’ve served crispy fried eggs on beef kra prao.

13 Likes

IMG_9684
CUCUMBER RELISH - Kindle P. 191

This is a refreshing quick pickle that goes with practically any Thai or Southeast Asian dish. To dissolve the sugar, the instructions are to boil the sugar, white vinegar, water, and salt on the stove, then cool the syrup. I think I accomplished the same thing by microwaving the mixture for 30 seconds. When the syrup is cool, thinly sliced English cucumber, shallot, fresh Thai chile, and cilantro leaves are stirred in just prior to serving. A great compliment to curries and spicy sauces.

15 Likes

Thanks - you, too!

1 Like

Glad to hear these are good. They are on my to-make list. Bought the sweet potatoes today!

2 Likes

Ok so, when I asked my husband the other day to pick up sweet potatoes this is what he came home with:

Today, he came home with these:

(post deleted by author)

2 Likes

Is this from the book?

I’m sorry, no. It’s mine. I’m went through a Thai and Chinese cooking phase and fond of Asian cuisine very much. I just reread your OP and see the thread’s intent. I apologize my post was off topic. :pray:

1 Like

Oh, no worries, it’s cool. I was just wondering if I’d missed something in the book!

2 Likes

Great cookbook! I spent four years going back and forth to Thailand–speak a little Thai–and am very familiar with the food culture of Chiang Mai.

I’m currently in a potato-centric rather than a rice-centric phase of my cooking, so I may not be ready to get back to stir frying on my Staub perfect pan so easily

but

I’ll be a cheer leader for anyone making Thai curries or Tum Khar kung (cocoanut milk soup with shrimp).

I already do have a can of the cocoanut milk–so maybe I can give the soup a try this month.

5 Likes

Welcome aboard @drrayeye !

1 Like

Round 2:
with the larger sweet potatoes.
I preferred it with the smaller ones.
The potatoes were a nicer cut and not as rustic looking.

6 Likes

Thank you for posting the recipe outline (I don’t have the COTM). I am always looking for a salady type side dish when we eat Thai food. This will be perfect.

3 Likes

So lovely to see you here @RainyRamone ! This is one of my favorite dishes. I make the David Thompson version often.

2 Likes

So wonderful to see you, too! Kinda like old CH times, isn’t it? Back when ‘Cravings’ was COTM, I was introduced to Chrissy Teigen’s chicken kra prao and it has been on rotation ever since. This ground meat version is so quick and easy, though.

3 Likes