April 2022 Cookbook of the Month - Voting

Actually you can edit as much as you want, but within an hour.

1 Like

It’s also sold out at Barnes and Noble. Most secondary market resellers. Well, except the few who are grifting off the tragedy to mark up their books to $500+.

Anyway, it’s a no brainer to choose Simple Thai Food and hope the publisher gets a clue and runs a new printing.

Also, thanks Mel for doing this AND the work of moving COTM over. Now, if we could people to agree to moving DOTM over… that would be great. The CH website is doing funky things for me already as they get ready to shut down. And we have exactly 2 days or so to do this thing. But looking through the various threads there are like 3 people who vocally support moving DOTM over. So…

2 Likes

$17.59 Cdn plus 13% sales tax for Ontarian cooks, 15 % sales tax in NB, PEI, NFLD, slightly lower sales tax in AB & SK!

The kindle version of Mamushka is now $1.99 in the U.S. Don’t know how long this deal will last. I’m not changing my vote because I really want to cook Thai food, but went ahead and bought it so I can cook along if it wins.

4 Likes

Thanks for the heads up! I just bought Mamushka on kindle. I’m not going to change my vote, but would now happily cook along with Mamushka too.

2 Likes

I don’t even own a Kindle :slight_smile: Just letting ppl know. :slight_smile: I’ll post Olia’s Guardian recipe link, which includes a number of her recipes that are online.

2 Likes

Thanks @Phoenikia, I think that its important to support Ukraine now anyway that we can.

I have Simple Thai Food and also Coconut Lagoon that someone recommended on CH.

Sad story his restaurant burned down (ETA. sorry severe fire damage inside the building not burned down) so just purchased a copy to support Joe Thottungal a Canadian Chef.
P.S.
The building is intact for Coconut Lagoon. The fire broke out in the appartment upstairs and the damage is extensive inside the restaurant. Coconut Lagoon will be temporarily closed for some time.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, just bought Mamushka on kindle. But like you, I’m sticking with my original vote.

1 Like

I don’t own a kindle, either, I just use the app on my phone or tablet.

3 Likes

@articshark , if we had gotten a good consensus from DOTM folks, I would have done the work to bring it over. Still might. BUT… there is a Dish of the Quarter here, and I wonder if that might be good enough? @biondanonima has mentioned we could shift it to monthly if there is enough interest from former CH DOTMers, so that’s a possibility for the future, and if we do that, I’ll certainly volunteer to help with the coordinating, as I did on CH. But I also look back at many DOTMs, and a lot of people just won’t want to make that many versions of the same dish in one month. I went crazy on lasagne and did 8 versions in one month, but that is not really something I want to repeat. I did 6 biryani in one month. But most of the time, we might get more people doing multiple variations of a dish if they had a longer time to do it. Yeah, I know the threads stay open, but once the thread is out of the limelight, people aren’t really going to the effort. Anyway, that reasoning, plus the lack of consensus amongst the DOTMers is why I haven’t acted on DOTM so far. We should definitely get involved in the DOTQ here, and there is also a Cuisine of the Quarter, which I think could be a lot of fun.

3 Likes

I saw that, @MelMM . And it’s cool. I think I single-handedly cooked most of the gumbos when it was gumbo month. And I think you are right and there might be more participation if the time frame was longer.

I’m good with anything. I think I was just missing some of the continuity as we migrate over completely.

I actually didn’t put up a DOTQ nomination thread yet because I wanted to wait and see if there was enough interest/activity to switch to monthly - perhaps we should try the quarterly version this quarter and see how it goes. @articshark, can you tag the DOTM fans here so we make sure they are aware of DOTQ?

When I looked- and it was brief because CH is very glitchy for me- it was me, @MelMM and @Saregama who had expressed an interest in moving it over.

I’m good with a DOTQ.

2 Likes

Great! Here’s the nominations link for this quarter: Spring 2022 (Apr-Jun) Dish of the Quarter - NOMINATIONS

3 Likes

Quarter is good! If it goes nuts we can go monthly.

But there’s lots of stuff going on at the moment, so Quarter might give everyone breathing room too :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I would check Amazon.ca, I believe, that the price for Mamushka has been reduced to something close to what is available on Amazon.com

2 Likes

Thanks so much for this tip - just grabbed it for Kindle for $1.99!

2 Likes

Voting is now closed. Our April, 2022 COTM will be SIMPLE THAI FOOD, by Leela Punyaratabandhu (10 votes, vs, 7 for Mamushka and 2 for Land of Fish and Rice). I’m including a screenshot of the results just to capture the vote when it ended.

3 Likes

An announcement thread is up here:

2 Likes

The April reporting thread is here: