Persian/ Iranian recipes

What are your favourite recipes? What are your favourite dishes?

1 Like

My favourite dish I make is Kuku Sabzi

2 Likes

Kuku Sabzi? I’m more of a ZaSu Pitts fan myself. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I don’t know what that is!

Well, ZaSu Pitts was an old actress (she died the year I was born…1963!) and I’ve always just liked to throw her name in for laughs because it sounds so funny! Sorry to throw you and your post off my weak attempt at humor.

2 Likes

Lol, good to know!

2 Likes

This looks interesting https://www.thecaspianchef.com/2020/04/08/kalam-polo-shirazi-cabbage-and-rice-pilaf-with-meatballs/

1 Like

I make a yellow squash khoresh. It’s Persian inspired, but I’m not even sure what the source of the inspiration was, possibly an eggplant khoresh recipe. I use more turmeric and less tomato flavor than eggplant khoresh would probably have and use boneless, skinless chicken thighs for the protein.

I like fesenjen, both meatball and chicken, so I’ll order that if I see it on a Persian restaurant menu, but when I make it, I use the Azeri meatball fesenjen recipe from Anya von Bremzen’s Please to the Table cookbook. I may or may not add walnuts to the recipe.

Khoresh geymeh is another I like.

1 Like

Persian Wedding Rice with Squab or Quail

2 Likes

Thanks!

I will try a winter squash borani this week.

1 Like

I really enjoyed Kuku Sabzi when I made it (Kuku was DOTM on a chowhound), but I never seem to remember how much and so I have rarely made it after that.

It was very easy with frozen spinach, scallions, parlsey, and cilantro. I made I think 2 eggs in an eighth pan.

Loved it even more with adjika (Kachka recipe) and some yogurt.

3 Likes

I grew up with our family spanakopita, which contains spinach, endive, dill , green onion, parsley, cooking onion,often arugula, sometimes leeks, eggs and feta. The Kuku has beena quicker variation on that, without the filo and feta. I use whichever herbs I have on hand, often it’s a way to use a lot of parsley or cilantro before I go shopping.

Last week I used escarole and Tuscan kale. One of the people I cook for has an aversion to frozen spinach so I tend to only buy fresh spinach for spinach dishes.

I hadn’t tried kuku sabzi until my cousin made it for us while we stayed at a cabin in Maui 5 years ago.

No recipes to share (sorry) but I’m also a fan of Kashk bademjan and Fensenjan (lamb or with chicken thighs). The latter is a slow cooker staple too.

1 Like

This was in the NYT today (gift link), and I thought it looked promising:

1 Like