SAVORY EGG DISHES - Spring 2024 (Apr-Jun) Dish of the Quarter

This is really good with crusty bread or soft dinner rolls — for another time! They sop up the sauce and spices nicely.

1 Like

Good to know! I did see another version of the recipe that serves it with pav. Makes sense!

I actually thought about using potato sticks, since I also have some to use up. Next time!

SHRIMP AND CELERY OMELETTE with Oyster Sauce from Simple Chinese Cooking by Kylie Kwong

This is pretty easy to bang out - whisk your eggs (6 which will serve 2-4 depending on what else you are having) with soy sauce, ginger, and scallions. Dice some celery and have some raw shrimp ready to go. Heat your wok with a fair amount of oil (she says 1/4 cup) to high and cook the shrimp and celery for about 30 seconds (I added a little salt). Then pour in the eggs and cook until done (you’ll need to stir a little. Yes, your eggs with puff and brown. This goes fast.). Once done, put it on a plate and drizzle with some oyster sauce (I added a little sesame oil, smoked shoyu, and white pepper to it befor drizzling).

This would also make a great light lunch or dinner with a salad. She has a fancier version in Heart and Soul that involves shrimp as well as scallops!

11 Likes

Kale shakshuka. This was a really good idea.

9 Likes

Mazafati omelette, made with spinach, dates and herbs, at The Arch Café in Kensington Market in Toronto. This is my first Persian egg dish that wasn’t Kuku Sabzi.

I liked it.

The Arch Café, a Persian brunch spot and café

3 Likes

Constantly in rotation at our house is the fridge clean-out frittata. Today’s version includes cooked rice, creamed spinach, ham, red peppers, scallions, and parm.

12 Likes

We love clean out the fridge frittatas. Among our favorites are leftover pasta and sauce and leftover broccoli. Sometimes I steam extra broccoli just for this purpose. A few nights ago we had linguine in a sauce of minced mushrooms, soffrito, canned tomatoes, tomato paste, anchovy, black pepper, red pepper flakes, oregano, and red wine. I should have made more for a frittata!

4 Likes

I have started to do the same thing with broccoli. It makes a late night snack that doesn’t feel heavy.
I have also started preparing a cup of green lentils when all I want is a quarter cup. I squirrel the extra in the fridge and find other foods to work lentils into.
I need more healthy snacks and foundations of meals that I can stash in my fridge in advance. Because my usual late night snack is a hearty sandwich or a bowl of chili.
And I have a half dozen eggs just sitting in my fridge. Never prepared a shakshuka or a mazafati omelet… Hmmm…

4 Likes

We have come to love leftover pasta in frittatas - so good!

During the summer season, we like to keep in the fridge a stash of grated and wrung zucchini - holds up several days, and is good in eggs, meatballs, vegetable galettes, and quick breads. Very handy to lighten up dishes, stretch your proteins, and in general just bulk things up.

2 Likes

Ramen noodles in omelets are a favorite here.

5 Likes

Thanks for highlighting this asparagus/pesto savory bread pudding. I made one today as a side for salmon. Leftovers will be some breakfasts this week and/or side for simply grilled chicken. I resized for an 8x8 pan, using 5 eggs and just under 2 C. milk. Next time I’ll use 4 eggs and 1.5 C. milk, 13 oz. asparagus, since it rose quite a bit during the last uncovered 15 minutes of baking and spilled over slightly.

7 Likes

I succumbed to one of my favorite New York morning pleasures this week on my way home from a brutal redeye — street cart bacon & egg on a Kaiser roll with strong, sweet, just-milky-enough coffee.

Perfectly prepared egg — gridded, yolk smashed and spread just enough, peppered and salted, plenty of bacon for some in every bite, and — like the guy even had to ask — ketchup properly spread on one side of the griddled roll, just enough for flavor but not so much that it squeezes out.

Oof. Some bites are just perfect and better left to the experts!

No pic bec I didn’t think of it, but looks a lot like this — just squishier :joy:

12 Likes

Perfection!

I just read an article on the hangtown fry. Now I am doubly anxious for oyster season.

4 Likes

Yes. You must do this. For science.

3 Likes

Greek asparagus omelette turned scramble.

I scrambled it, will attempt again when I’m able to flip it.

Several asparagus omelette recipes here:

9 Likes

HIndsight is 20/20, but do you think you could’ve flipped the omelette using a plate?

1 Like

I think it’s the ratio of asparagus to eggs. But I’d make the same choice with lovely fresh asparagus!

2 Likes

I put 4 extra large eggs in the pan, so I’d serve 2 and have leftovers.

It was pretty deep. I don’t think I could have flipped this one successfully with a plate, but I’ll try this recipe again, with 2 eggs another time, and I’ll flip it.