MEXICAN EVERYDAY and MORE MEXICAN EVERYDAY - January 2023 COTM

Welcome to our reporting thread for our January Cookbooks of the Month: MEXICAN EVERYDAY and MORE MEXICAN EVERYDAY by Rick Bayless.

To report on a recipe, please put the recipe title in ALL CAPS. Include the page number if you are cooking from a hard copy - no need if cooking from an ebook, we understand. Since we have two books this month, you will also need to include in your heading which book the recipe is from. If you are the first to report on a recipe, make your report a reply to this topic. If someone else has already posted a report on that recipe, make your report a reply to their post.

To see how we arrived at our selection, you can visit our nomination and voting threads. To see all our past selections, visit the COTM Archive.

5 Likes

SPICY CHIPOTLE EGGPLANT WITH BLACK BEANS - p. 215, More Mexican Everyday

Turns out I made this dish when MME was COTM back in 2018. I liked it then, and I liked this revisit, but I guess I never liked it enough to make it in the intervening years. You make a chipotle dressing from canned chipotle en adobo, molasses, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, and soy sauce. This gets whizzed in a blender then simmered to thicken. The dressing, along with some oil, is tossed with rounds of eggplant, which is then baked in a hot oven. The same dressing is used to season a black bean purée. The eggplant is served over the black beans, and garnished with cilantro, crema or yogurt (I used Kite Hill almond yogurt), and some queso fresco, which I skipped. This is pleasant eating, a decent way to use up an eggplant, and the black beans give it enough substance that along with rice, it makes a meal.

13 Likes

I’m a fan of R.B. His carnitas (slightly modified) are the best… as are his enchiladas, rellenos, salsas, and many other dishes.

While I disagree with some of his methods (rinsing onions, frying chiles to peel, etc.), along with Pati Jinich, he is one of my fav Mexican sources.

2 Likes

CHIPOTLE RICE WITH SHRIMP - More Mexican Everyday p. 260

This is a pretty quick shrimp pilaf to make, regardless of whether you use a rice cooker (as he directs) or stove top (which I did). You saute garlic, chopped chipotles in adobo, and more of the adobo sauce if you want it spicier, add the rice and broth, salt (I didn’t find that it needed it), and then let is go until it is almost done (for me, on the stove top about 20 minutes). Add the shrimp 5-7 minutes from the end (depending on their size). Serve with a little cilantro to garnish.

Because I can never do things simply, I substituted the chicken broth called for with a shrimp stock made from the shells and then fortified that as I cooked the pilaf with about a teaspoon and a half of the BTB lobster base (hence, no need for salt).

I would make this again. It seems simple enough if you wanted to swap the shrimp out for chicken to saute a pound of boneless, skinless thighs up front with the garlic and rice and then just cook both together until the rice is done. We had this with roasted green beans that I drizzled with the Salsa Macha from one of the other recipes in the book (also very good!).

15 Likes

SALSA MACHA - More Mexican Everyday p. 333
This part of a larger recipe Mussels (or Clams) with Salsa Macha, Mexican Beer, and Ham.

This salsa is kind of like chili crisp in oil. You toast garlic and nuts (he gives options in the recipe; I went with sesame seeds and peanuts) in some olive oil. I actually added the torn pieces of dried red chiles at this stage too (again, you can pick, but I went with cascabel and chile de arbol). Let it cool and add Mexican oregano, salt, and a little cider vinegar. Pulse in a blender or mini processor until finely chopped, but not emulsified (that was about 3 quick pulses in the mini processor for me). Stores, according to Bayless, for “months” in the fridge. If you have concerns about botulism from the garlic, you probably would want to go with the freezer.

Really, really good and I liked the mix of chiles. Two spoonfuls really set off my roasted green beans in a beautiful way. Recommended!

17 Likes

FRESH FAVA (LIMA) BEAN ENFRIJOLADAS - More Mexican Everyday, p. 166

This is one I did not make when the book was COTM in the past. I didn’t have any favas on hand, but my freezer was stocked with 1-lb bags of limas from my CSA over the summer. The recipe calls for cooked “fresh” favas (how can the be fresh and cooked?). Mine were frozen raw, so I cooked considerably longer than the recipe called for, as I didn’t want a raw bean taste. I made a few other changes as well. The recipe has you microwaving garlic in water. Why? I have nothing against microwaving garlic, but it comes out better if you do it in oil. You can sauté in the microwave! The sauce for the enfrijoladas is simply the boiled beans puréed with the cooked garlic and enough liquid to get the right consistency. There are three suggested fillings for these enfrijoladas, and I ignored all of them and went my own way with sautéed zucchini, mushroom, and tomato. This author has always seemed hellbent on avoiding the usual passing of the tortillas through oil. In this case, he calls for brushing or spraying with oil, and microwaving in a plastic bag. I did this, and it worked fine, although I’m not sure there was less oil involved than the standard way, and I’m not sure how safe microwaving a plastic bag is (I used a ziplock, and it didn’t melt, but it did soften). Anyway, these enfrijoladas were terrific! The lima beans puréed in the Vitamix to a deceptively creamy sauce with a delicate flavor. It went beautifully with the filling, without overpowering it. I will definitely make the sauce (with the limas!) again.

19 Likes

Sounds great! And what a beautiful plate! Where did you get it?

2 Likes

I wonder if the boiled garlic has a different flavour profile vs sauteed (in oil) garlic, that is specific for this dish?

Also, what vegan cheese did you use atop the enfrijoladas?

Thank you! BF got them from his mom when he moved out, many decades ago at this point. They have been a handy size, too!

1 Like

I came across this in a Ferran Adria book where calls for poaching garlic in water to soften the bite before using it for pesto. It’s a different flavor outcome than oil.

1 Like

I’m obsessed with favas so I can’t wait to use them like this–it really does look like a cheese sauce.

1 Like

There is no cheese on the enfrijoladas. The recipe does call for some queso añejo, and I just skipped it.

Boiled garlic does have a different flavor than sautéed garlic, but I doubt that Bayless was going for that specific flavor here. He also microwaves garlic for his Mexican red rice (p. 262) in water, and that is certainly not a dish where one would normally do that. It’s just the way he microwaves things. In the rice recipe, he also microwaves carrots in water. My choice to mince the garlic and cook it in oil was based solely on my personal preference.

2 Likes

Yes, it is different. But I prefer garlic cooked in oil for most applications, and I didn’t see a reason why this would be an exception. I don’t think the author was really going for a specific flavor outcome with these instructions. He microwaves garlic in water elsewhere in the book where you would normally sauté it. I think this is done as a time saving/fat saving thing, not because of the taste.

MEXICAN RED RICE - p. 262

I did make this rice the last time around, but I did not look at my notes from the prior COTM before making it this time. I did look look at them before writing this. This recipe is written for a rice cooker. Last time I made this, per my prior COTM write-up, I used my Instant Pot, and tweaked the recipe accordingly. This time I used my rice cooker (and still tweaked). In the headnote, Bayless notes that when he often sautés the rice on a stovetop before adding to the rice cooker, but this recipe is written without that step. On my previous go-round in the IP, I sautéed the rice on sauté mode. What he has you do in the rice cooker is just stir some oil into the rice before adding the liquid ingredients. I know that you can actually sauté in a rice cooker, by turning it cook with the lid open and letting it get hot. It doesn’t sauté as well or as quickly an Instant Pot, but it will do the job. So once again I sautéed the rice. I also sautéd the garlic, carrots, and pepper that go in the rice, and a little bit of minced onion, which was not called for. I also used a diced anaheim where the recipe calls for whole serrano or jalapeño pepper that have been slit down the side. The recipe has you microwave the garlic in water and then purée it with canned, fire-roasted tomatoes. The recipe also has you microwave carrots in water, and add them at the end of cooking. Same for fresh peas. In my previous version I did follow the recipe where the garlic and other vegetables were concerned.

Both times I made a half recipe. The previous time, I did not heed the note at the end that gives a quantity of liquid for a half batch, but this time I did. In the future, I would halve the liquid as I did the first time, as this rice turned out a bit soft for my taste. In both instances, I felt this recipe did not compare to the way I usually make Mexican rice. I liked the earlier version in the Instant Pot better than this rice cooker version, perhaps because of the difference in liquid used, or perhaps because of the better sauté capability. The rice is pictured above with the enfrijoladas.

7 Likes

That is one mouth-watering photo of gorgeous food!

GREENS AND BEANS WITH RED CHILE AND FRESH CHEESE - More Mexican Everyday, p. 126

This is another that I made when MME was COTM before. I remember really liking it. This time I did check my notes before making the recipe, and it seems I made it pretty much as written, but used regular curly kale instead of the lacinato called for, and I cooked the beans in the Instant Pot instead of using canned. This time I used collard greens, because I had them from my CSA. I also used small red beans instead of black, and once again, cooked them in the IP. You start by frying some guajillo chiles. This time around, I didn’t have quite enough guajillos (measuring by weight), so I added in a few New Mexico to round it out. After the torn, deseeded chiles are fried, they are soaked in hot water. They are then puréed with some of the soaking liquid, a few cloves of garlic, Mexican oregano, and black pepper. This purée then gets fried and reduced to a paste. You are then to add some water - I used more soaking liquid here - to get a saucy consistency, and season with salt and sugar. The first time I made this I intentionally left out the sugar, this time I simply forgot it. The greens get added and simmered. Now, collards need to cook longer than lacinato kale, so I simmered the greens for quite a while, adding liquid as needed. When they were almost done, I added the beans and simmered everything together.

Tacos are the suggested serving method, and that’s what I did, both times. This is a great taco filling, hearty and super nutritious. It is like a simplified chili - the cooking method is about the same, I just use a larger variety of chiles and more of them when making chili (and there are no collards involved). The picture of greens and beans in a bowl is from last night. The picture of the tacos is from 2018.

16 Likes

GRILLED FISH IN TANGY YUCATECAN ACHIOTE WITH GREEN BEANS AND ROASTED TOMATO SALSA - Mexican Everyday pp. 174-177

While I have both Mexican Everyday and More Mexican Everyday, I feel as though I have cooked from the later one significantly more often. It’s no reflection on the recipes in the book. As it turns out, I have made Bayless recipes that utilize achiote paste from his Web site which are similar. This one in particular is fairly easy to get accomplished on a week night. That being said, I did plan ahead a little and make the roasted tomato salsa and the achiote marinade yesterday. This made everything come together that much more quickly.

The recipe for the fish and the roasted tomato salsa are both on his site, for those playing along at home who are without access to the book.

I used my broiler tonight, as we are dealing with freezing rain out here near Boston (at least where I am). I set the rack to about 4-5 inches underneath it and turned the broiler to low. I let it warm up for a good 20 minutes while I puttered about with some remaining prep and clean up. For example, my fresh beans came in a microwaveable bag (this step isn’t in the web version), so I nuked the beans for 3 minutes on high in the punctured bag instead of putting them in a bowl with water to do it. I laid them out on a sheet pan with some oil and salt. Meanwhile, I was using salmon fillets. I removed the skin and checked for any lingering bones. Then they got nicely smeared with about 4 dinner spoonfuls of the achiote marinade (about a packed 1/4 c worth (he says ~3 oz) and the juice of half a lemon (I was running low on the lime called for)). I prepped some corn tortillas to heat up in foil packets in the oven while the fish and beans would cook. Then the fish went until the broiler for 4 minutes (foil packs of tortilla got chucked on a lower rack). Out it comes. Flip. It and the beans now go back under for another 4 minutes. My nose told me it was done at 3. Windows opened, vent blasting, everything came out of the oven at the seven minute mark.

I thought about just roasting the fish and green beans at 400 for about 15-20 minutes, but I liked the freshness that remained in the beans doing it this way. I certainly enjoyed the charred bits on the fish! These made fantastic tacos, too.

14 Likes

That both looks and sounds fabulous!!

2 Likes

RUSTIC ROASTED TOMATO SALSA - Mexican Everyday pp. 146-147

This recipe is what I used to go with our achiote salmon tacos. He has you roast the chiles of your choice and some garlic. Then blitz it and pulse together with canned fire roasted tomatoes. Stir in white onion, cilantro, lime or cider vinegar, and salt.

I ran grape tomatoes I had in the fridge that need to be used up under the broiler, along with the garlic, some red onion, and a habanero chile. I seeded the chile and then pureed everything with my immersion blender, seasoning with a little cider vinegar and salt. I held the cilantro out because I was going to garnish with it anyway.

This is an excellent salsa that goes particularly well with fish and seafood. I think it would also be great stirred into black beans or served over eggs.

Also pictured on the table here are some pickled red onions. These aren’t in Mexican Everyday, but I think that are in More Mexican Everyday. However, I’ve linked the recipe for those who’d like to try it. These are a nice, punchy garnish for rich foods!

15 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes