Leftover ham ideas?

I (surprise, surprise) have 2-3 lbs of left over spiral sliced smoked ham with the bone. Thinking split pea a w/ham soup, maybe some type of ham hash, and the obvious sandwiches, but thought I’d read out for additional ideas. TIA!

3 Likes

Tonight I’m making a ham & onion quiche. I used to put chopped broccoli in this quiche, but Sunshine asked I delete the broccoli. So I’ll serve some other vegetable on the side. But if you like chopped broccoli, throw it in!! I just made up my quiche dough for tonight, its in the fridge – hydrating.

At some point, I’ll chop up some of the ham, mix it with cream of mushroom soup (and milk) and pour that over pasta.

Ham and cheese panini(s) are also on the list.

Ham salad on rye (for lunches).

Chopped Ham with Mac & Cheese as a side dish.

5 Likes

Little cubes or batons of ham, frizzled a little in whatever fat you’re using, are delicious with peas (or arugula or asparagus) and pasta. Orriechiette or conchiglie (small shells) are the pasta shapes I like for this.

Could also garnish a savory Dutch baby pancake with the ham cubes and arugula or asparagus. Though when I think I will do this, I always end up making pasta.

6 Likes

Mac & Ham & Cheese is ALWAYS my go-to.
Ham & cheese omelet or quiche
Ham & cheese panino or sliders

(seeing a trend?)

Sweet potato biscuits with ham
Ham and pineapple pizza (if you’re of a mind to put pineapple on pizza!)
Ham and bean soup

Freeze chunks of it for later use. (I just did that with a good portion of my leg of lamb leftovers).

4 Likes

I was thinking about making a corn and ham fritter (later in the week), until I saw Ham & Pineapple Pizza.
I think I have some pineapple in the freezer – somewhere.

Thank!! @LindaWhit

2 Likes

I’m still surprised that I offered it as an option, as pineapple DOESN’T BELONG ON PIZZA! :rofl: At least not in my house.

I LOVE the idea of a corn and ham fritter!

2 Likes

Add it to fried rice! Also seconding adding it to either quiche (with Swiss cheese and cooked mushrooms) or mac and cheese.

You could probably also adapt this recipe for it:

5 Likes

Ham croquettes are a favorite of mine. I used to get them at Porto’s Bakery an extremely popular Cuban bakery in Glendale, CA (they now have multiple locations). There are many recipes online, though they might not be as good as Porto’s.

2 Likes

Cuban-style black bean soup with ham.

6 Likes

Croque Madame!

4 Likes

Scalloped potatoes and ham!

6 Likes

Red beans and rice come to mind whenever I have a ham bone.

3 Likes

Strammer Max

Toast Hawaii

Learn something new every day.

Strammer Otto, made with Roast Beef

Split pea and ham is the only reason I ever think of buying ham. :yum: Otherwise, assuming it’s not glazed or otherwise coated in a spice or rub, I think it would be nice in any other soup too. Even though it’s not a country ham, I bet it would really add some flavor to any stock.

3 Likes

All of the above plus a chef’s salad.

I like just a nice slice or two of ham with most any kind of sides. A big mix of different roasted veggies in particular. Or mashed potatoes, peas and roasted cherry/grape tomatoes. Good thing because I bought a ham on sale last week I’ll probably start working on end of this week.

4 Likes
2 Likes

And the Time Machine helps again!!!

3 Likes

My cousin made a ham and cheese quiche with hers.

2 Likes

Imagine smoking and pulling it like… pulled pork. Wait a minute! It IS pulled pork.

I’d just eat the ham plain, it’s so tasty! But I know there’s a limit (or so I’m told :rofl:).

A generous layer of butter on baguette and a jambon beurre will do nicely.

I know many people like adding it to mac & cheese, scalloped potatoes, and quiche.

3 Likes