Leftover ham ideas?

I think leftover ham is pretty good as-is.

Assuming the “fresh” ham was good, that is.

If it was, why mess with perfection.

2 Likes

Made a jambon beurre last week. Ate it before I could take a photo… I was in heaven. I’m a good girl with my cardiologist’s admonitions, but I allow myself a very occasional treat. :woman_shrugging:t3:. The rest of the day was fruit and veggies, sans salt, but tasty. There is life after salt, and believe me, if I could, I’d have a salt lick in my kitchen.

7 Likes

Gratin of Braised Endives wrapped in Ham
Japanese Style Fried Rice
Ham Croquette/Korokke/Croquetas

6 Likes

I’d freeze what isn’t beeing used in a few days. Then I’d use it in (previously mentioned) Denver omelets, quiche, fried rice, Chef’s salad, deviled ham spread ( for sammies or stuffed cherry tomatoes)…enjoy!

4 Likes

Last night was Instant Replay: ham, mashed potatoes, and peas from Sunday. Tonight is ham, green chile, and Emmentaler crustless quiche. The rest will go in the freezer for future use.

6 Likes

Last night I made some potato salad with ham and capers. It’s in the fridge for today. Still thinking split pea and ham soup plus just a big sandwich. After family took some, there really isn’t that much left.

6 Likes

There are just two of us, and it was only three pounds, but you know the saying about two people and a ham…

5 Likes

This reminds me of Russian salad…

3 Likes

That was pretty much the recipe I got the idea from but used what I had on hand.

3 Likes

On the other hand, I was just eating an excellent jambon beurre. The leftover ham may not make it to the freezer!

2 Likes

I approve!!

I remember my first jambon beurre … not in France (although I’d been there) but in an outpost of Café La Rouche, the original of which was in Georgetown (the outpost was in a now-demolished “upscale” shopping mall in Bethesda. I was there with my Mom). One bite and I swore I’d died and gone to heaven. It was probably in the 1970s, so it was still pretty exotic for local fare.

6 Likes

Navy beans and pinto beans, always!
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not for the meat itself, but I threw the bone in the Instant Pot today, covered with water, and made stock. I used a few cups of it in the chicken ramen I made for dinner - the extra gelatin and smoky flavor really worked.

4 Likes

Hot ham & Swiss sandwiches - recipe posted on HO here

Heat with BBQ sauce, serve over cheesy grits, recipe for the grits at Budget Bytes

Ham Balls - see the variations at the foot of the recipe page - can change up crackers, use bread, omit the beef, make brown sugar sauce instead of tomato…

4 Likes

Just for the heck if it, last night I cut some of the ham into small strips and added them to some ramen-style noodles with some green onions and a spicy-ish sauce. Not the best result but it was OK and got rid of the last of the ham I hadn’t frozen.

5 Likes

Another idea, for the future

2 Likes

Beats the heck out of SPAM fried rice. that commercial kinda grosses me out.

2 Likes

It was Café La Ruche (beehive) not Rouche. Sorry.

For those with leftover country ham:

5 Likes

I’ve never heard of white soy sauce. Interesting.

I’ve also never seen any real country ham here in the west.
No one really seems to know what I’m talking about.
:frowning:

2 Likes